Why are some people's F1s wearing out so fast?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Seriously. Is it differences in road materials?

I realize many people will say driving style, but good LORD.... I drive pretty hard every time I'm in the car.

I've got 10,200 on mine and they look almost new.

What gives?

03blackvert

Established Member
sly, there's a little pedal to the right of the one you use all the time. You should try pushing it. :) :) :)

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
F1's arn't too hard to burn up onder steady driving. My SS went through a set of 4 after rotating them to the back in 18,000 miles.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
.... I drive pretty hard every time I'm in the car.

I've got 10,200 on mine and they look almost new.

What gives?
uh....you're not driving it hard enough?? :burnout:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Mine have 9/32" left with only 700 miles on it. The fronts are at 11/32". Ouch. Time to rotate.

My tires seem to be sticky as hell. Every single piece of grit and rock in the road gets thrown into the wheelwells and I get good traction in all gears (still stock HP wise).

I'm sure they'll harden up after dozens of heat cycles and 5000 miles, and I'll be bitchin about the F1's lack of grip and bragging about how the car will go sideways on a second gear punch.

Last edited:

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Mine have 9/32" left with only 700 miles on it. The fronts are at 11/32". Ouch. Time to rotate.

My tires seem to be sticky as hell. Every single piece of grit and rock in the road gets thrown into the wheelwells and I get good traction in all gears (still stock HP wise).

I'm sure they'll harden up after dozens of heat cycles and 5000 miles, and I'll be bitchin about the F1's lack of grip and bragging about how the car will go sideways on a second gear punch.

Looking to make an excuse to buy new tires?

--Matt

realsmith

Wally World or Bust
Established Member
Got about 10,000 miles out of mine on the '99 Lightning. No burnouts, WOT in first only a few times and at least half of those miles were highway. They were very sticky though.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I powerslide around corners...

I got pulled over two weekends ago for exhibition of acceleration...

I doubt it's driving style.

I mean replaced at 7500 miles?!?! You'd have to do a burnout at every single stoplight you come to.

Originally posted by racerat
uh....you're not driving it hard enough?? :burnout:

Troublemaker!!! :D :D

Let's race! Want to see how your new setup works.

Last edited:

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Anyone notice how much ?negative camber? there is setup on the IRS? The inside of my rear tires are so far gone it's not even funny... 5600 miles :) Yes I drive it hard enough :)

-- Jaret

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove

Troublemaker!!! :D :D

Let's race! Want to see how your new setup works.

You calling me out? :D
Shame on you for picking on a girl in a slow, heavy convertible. :coolman:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I drive my car pretty normally, and I never do burnouts. On the other hand, when you can't get traction until 60 MPH with more than 1/2 throttle, it's pretty easy to thump the loud pedal a little too hard in a takeoff and fry the rears. I don't know, I think Nittos might actually last LONGER than my F1's if they don't spin in second.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
You calling me out? :D
Shame on you for picking on a girl in a slow, heavy convertible. :coolman:

I like to get beaten by girls!! :eek: :eek:

hahhahahaha

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by JClifton
Anyone notice how much ?negative camber? there is setup on the IRS? The inside of my rear tires are so far gone it's not even funny... 5600 miles :) Yes I drive it hard enough :)

-- Jaret
I have 6600 miles on mine and just rotated them. Mine has even wear all the way across the tread. So far the tire wear is better than on my '97 Cobra. I didn't bother to measure the tread, but the tech wrote 7/32"+ on the sheet for the front and rear tires. Then again, I don't drive that hard either.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
I have 7,000 miles on mine, I just pulled the rears to put 315/35 BFG drag radials.

Perfectly even wear both front and back, my tires look like they're barely worn. I drive like an a-hole several times a day, apparently not as much of an a-hole as some of the rest of you.

JClifton -

Is your car lowered? I was thinking about dropping the rear about 2" but I'm worried about the tire wear. The car should have zero camber front and rear under a normal load.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
One more thing...

I'm actually pretty happy with the stock F1's given that they're pretty damn good and completely predictable. I found a chunk is missing from the sidewall of my right front tire, so I called the dealership to find out if they could replace the tire... $324 per tire plus mounting, balancing, valve stems.

Similar tire from Goodyear with much higher feedback ratings on TireRack.com; the Eagle F1 GS-D3, $185/ tire (I ordered a matching set for the front). If they're significantly better, I'll post it here.

OverToad

Established Member
Isn't the answer obvious? Sly, you drive like a GIRL :loser: Which would explain why, despite all the obvious men on this board, you called out another GIRL :lol1: Now I understand why you you originally wanted a new Cobra in YELLOW :chicken: :D

'Fess up! You didn't get pulled over for an exhibition of acceleration, you got cited for a different kind of exhibition ;-)

All kidding aside, here's a legitimate thought on this.

One of the big problems we looked for on purchase was "the pull." Even though some of our cars didn't pull, it could very well have been that ALL the tires weren't straight, and the car didn't pull because both sides of the car, being out of alignment, caused the car to go straight.

Sounds like horsefeathers, right?

I took my car in because of what I thought only a very VERY slight tracking problem. They couldn't tell there was a problem. However, after brow-beating my service advisor and my salesman, I forced them to take a closer look.
Sure enough, all four wheels were out of alignment. They then 'fessed up that most of the 03's were coming to them "out of spec" from the factory.
Combine that with an obvious need to rip up the tires, and the F1's never stood a chance, hehe.
I also happen to think that our roads here in Austin, while congested with traffic, are in fantastic shape compared to other places around the country.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Now Toadie may be onto something there.... NOT the first half!! heh

I lowered my car pretty early on and had a full four wheel align done.

I have no uneven wear, and as stated my tires are holding up great.

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 are already slated to be my replacements, but it seems like I won't be doing that until next summer at this rate. :D

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
I've purchase two new Fords in the last couple of years. Both exhibited symptoms of poor alignment when new. I took both back to the dealer to have alignment checked. Both were found to have something out of spec. I think it was front toe in both cases.

I have about 2500 miles on my '03 and have no evidence of uneven wear. Except that the rears have more wear than the fronts for some wierd reason:) I must not be cornering hard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread