Why does my 2000 mustang 5 speed shake?

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Upon engaging my clutch, I have to keep the rpm above 2000 to get a smooth start. Anything lower (say between idle and 1000), causes shaking from the engine compartment which also transmits a rattling noise all the way to the back of the car (exhaust pipe?) This shaking is even more prominent in the reverse gear. On the one hand, I am trying to keep the revs down to conserve the life of the clutch, but on the other hand, in order for me to get a smooth start, I have to increase the revs and ride the hell out of my clutch. It's been doing this since I got the car one year ago,and then I had the clutch and the tob changed out one week after I got it ,the problem seemed to go away except for a low high pitch wine with clutch out but gos away when I engage the clutch, I thought It could be my tranny going bad so I could live with that for now.. untill a week ago from now it started to do it again. So I had the clutch replaced, new pressure plate, resurface the flywheel, new pilot bearing, and new tob.. When we pulled the tranny down from the car the tob actually fell apart. After everything was put back together Its still doing the same thing as before . I also notice my clutch petal is really high before it grabs. Anyone with same prob?

Last edited:

2004gt604

38FCKER
Established Member
your cars fine, in every single manual transmission car ive driven you have to keep the revs above 1000 to get a smooth start dw its not dong to like kill your clutch in a week ts just normall wear and tear when the revs are too low the engine shudders and shakes

Last edited:

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Idk.. I use to own 2- 95 gt, a 99 gt, and a 03 cobra and they all were stick never had this problem at all. So your sayin this is normal? Or does this only happen with a 00 gt? Doesnt seem right!

Last edited:

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
So I should just ride the hell out of my clutch when starting out in firsrt gear? What do you mean its a race car??

RiskyRick

Established Member
He has to keep the revs above 2000 to take of smoothly, and you don't see a problem? I can't be of much help, but it may be chatter like someone above posted. You shouldn't need to slip it that much- I can take off pretty smoothly at idle, but then again I'm still on the stock clutch, so IDK.

Maybe they like to replace clutches in Canada?

Last edited:

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Update... Took my car to a friends house to see if he knew why I was getting so much clutch chatter as two of you said ( all but one hoser)! The problem was my clutch cable was binding up inside the cable insulation, so by just looking at it you would never think it was bad. We put a new cable in and when I went to start the car, I almost put my left foot though the floor board ( not like before stiff). It was like butter and no more clutch chatter at all.. its like a different car. Thanks Brutal DSG and RiskyRick for pointing me in the right direction ( you guys knew what I was talking about):beer: Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread