Why is book value more on GT Coupe versus 'Premium' Coupe

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I was under the impression that a GT Premium Coupe would be worth more than GT Coupe, and yet when I look up a 2011 Mustang Coupe with 16k miles and standard equipment, I get the following values from Kelley Blue Book:

Private Party Value: "Excellent" Condition:
GT Coupe - $19,920
GT Premium Coupe - $18,741

What am I missing? I thought the Premium was more desirable and valuable, but obviously I am wrong??

Thanks for some help understanding this

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
...For that matter, what does edmunds or NADA say?

Good question:

Edmunds (private party, excellent condition):
GT Coupe - $17,441
GT Premium - $17,693

NADA (no private party selection, this is 'clean retail')
Also, NADA had no selection that allowed 'Premium', it was GT Coupe only.
GT Coupe - $20,900

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Premium is much more desirable car. Any dealer should know that. 3-4k option and light years above the base models in interior looks and features. It definetly should be worth more than just a coupe.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Premium is much more desirable car. Any dealer should know that. 3-4k option and light years above the base models in interior looks and features. It definetly should be worth more than just a coupe.

I was under same impression, but you can see the book valuations (KBB, NADA & Edmunds) do not concur. They all place little or no value on difference between GT Coupe and GT Premium.Very interesting..................

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Book values don't mean squat. Please refer to the article I wrote for the front page a couple weeks ago.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Book values don't mean squat. Please refer to the article I wrote for the front page a couple weeks ago.

I looked in Front Page forum and saw nothing by you. Do you have a link? Thanks

Kiohtee

Established Member
It's fine and dandy that KBB, NADA, etc. doesn't buy cars. Just look at MKIV Supras and Terminators to name two. But I still want to know the supposed logic behind why a base model is worth more than a Premium package car, assuming equal variables. That just doesn't make sense.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I looked in Front Page forum and saw nothing by you. Do you have a link? Thanks

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/what-exactly-is-your-trade-worth.1134861/

It's fine and dandy that KBB, NADA, etc. doesn't buy cars. Just look at MKIV Supras and Terminators to name two. But I still want to know the supposed logic behind why a base model is worth more than a Premium package car, assuming equal variables. That just doesn't make sense.

Less in the market place, less trading hands, less advertised, etc. Their algorithms aren't perfect.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member

That was a great read. Thanks for helping me find it.

You didn't really mention too much in that article about overall vehicle condition affecting the valuation. In the SVT (and other specialty cars) universe, this is a significant consideration, don't you think? I mean, a garage queen could/would be valued a tad higher than book? Is that a fair assumption?

Thanks again................ Dave F.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Don't know what the book says about my 6k mile mystichrome but I could get what I paid for it with a little patience. 30+.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That was a great read. Thanks for helping me find it.

You didn't really mention too much in that article about overall vehicle condition affecting the valuation. In the SVT (and other specialty cars) universe, this is a significant consideration, don't you think? I mean, a garage queen could/would be valued a tad higher than book? Is that a fair assumption?

Thanks again................ Dave F.

The extra clean book, is a garage queen. It stands for less than 3% of the total number of vehicles like yours. So extra clean book is a garage queen, assuming no damage and near perfect condition.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Don't know what the book says about my 6k mile mystichrome but I could get what I paid for it with a little patience. 30+.

You'd be surprised how low I bet. The paint wouldn't even be considered other than it's condition. I purchased a nearly mint sonic blue coupe with 57k miles and my bank told me they could loan up to the "value" of 16.2k. I paid 21 for the car

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You'd be surprised how low I bet. The paint wouldn't even be considered other than it's condition. I purchased a nearly mint sonic blue coupe with 57k miles and my bank told me they could loan up to the "value" of 16.2k. I paid 21 for the car
Yeah but if you go to th "cars of particular interest" book it will be valued higher as it is basically a nada collectors car valuation.

Users who are viewing this thread