Why is the GT so heavy?

lthlvpr

Established Member
I was just about to pull the trigger on the GT. In a couple of the comparisons, the magazines specs on the car were over 3600lbs with fuel (no driver). That seems so heavy for a car that is so special, with a racing heritage, and touted as a limited production supercar. This is 300lbs+ more than a Z-06 (fyi...300lbs is A LOT of weight differential when it comes to the track), and even heavier than a V-10 viper. Compared to other marquee performance cars, this car is very heavy. However, when you look at the car, it doesn't look like there is much 'extra' weight to dispose of. Anyone have any idea why this car is so heavy? This may be the key to lightening it up. Of course, the power and torque of the car keep it in a high performance category, but you don't see too many 3600lb+ cars on the track. It's just too much weight to move nimbly.

Goldvestor

I do not understand either...I watched the Car crazy Show that took a Factories Tour that showed everything on the GT...did not look like there was ANY wasted weight...The Frame was said to weigh 450 lbs...Maybe it's the engine/trans combination...with the blower...

Incidently, a new Corvette Z06 weighs 3132 lbs...Tommy Kendall said on TV that it is actually 18 lbs lighter than a Carrera GT...

An easy way around the GT's weight penalty might be: A. a smaller (and lighter...lol) Blower Pulley that would up the boost when you push on the RIGHT pedal...I expect a few ozs would be saved...lol

B. Drive around with only 5 gals. of gasoline in it...

C. Drive around alone

D. Don't drive it at all...and sell it to me in 2 yrs at a huge discount...

One more thing...The New Shelby GT 500 Mustang is reported to weigh 4500 lbs...with 475 hp...

FORDs it seems, could use a diet...but, That Ford GT sure is beautiful...

satx

Banned
The GT is ~3450lbs curb weight. Depending on options it can be a little more. As an example, the GT in the Dec Motor Trend weighed in at 3497. This is roughly eqivalent to a Viper GTS or about 75-100lbs. more than a Ferrari f430 (~3380lbs curb). Not light, but not all that heavy either.

Oh, and the reason the GT isn't light is the heavy ass engine and blower assembly. If the GT had an LS7, it would weigh in at roughly the same as the Z06.

And by the way, the GT 500 will not weigh 4500lbs.

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
satx said:
Oh, and the reason the GT isn't light is the heavy ass engine and blower assembly. If the GT had an LS7, it would weigh in at roughly the same as the Z06.

The 7.0L in the ZO6 is 350 plus pounds lighter than the 5.4L with blower in the GT?? WOW I had no idea... :shrug:

I'd like to see where you got your data from.

Last edited:

satx

Banned
Purvis said:
The 7.0L in the ZO6 is 350 plus pounds lighter than the 5.4L with blower in the GT?? WOW I had no idea... :shrug:

I'd like to see where you got your data from.

I believe the 5.4 is about 150lbs heavier plus the blower, and supporting components........ok, maybe it's not just the engine, but most of the other weight is due to using quality components instead of plastic :-D

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Goldvestor said:
I do not understand either...I watched the Car crazy Show that took a Factories Tour that showed everything on the GT...did not look like there was ANY wasted weight...The Frame was said to weigh 450 lbs...Maybe it's the engine/trans combination...with the blower...

Incidently, a new Corvette Z06 weighs 3132 lbs...Tommy Kendall said on TV that it is actually 18 lbs lighter than a Carrera GT...

An easy way around the GT's weight penalty might be: A. a smaller (and lighter...lol) Blower Pulley that would up the boost when you push on the RIGHT pedal...I expect a few ozs would be saved...lol

B. Drive around with only 5 gals. of gasoline in it...

C. Drive around alone

D. Don't drive it at all...and sell it to me in 2 yrs at a huge discount...

One more thing...The New Shelby GT 500 Mustang is reported to weigh 4500 lbs...with 475 hp...

FORDs it seems, could use a diet...but, That Ford GT sure is beautiful...

nice first post. :lol: who built your vert? are you planning to do the same for the c6 z or are you just trollin'?

4500lbs for the gt500? no, my sources tell me it will weigh in just above 3 tons, and still will not be able to turn a corner. damn ford :bash:

Goldvestor

I'm very sorry...The Shelby GT 500 is reported to weigh 4000 lbs in Road and Track...NOT 4500 as I had previously posted...

My Z06 was converted to a Convert, wish Chevrolet would give customers what they want...

The Ford GT is a wonderful design and is beautiful...Any car-guy would be (will be) very pleased to own one...sometime. The heritage, the performance, and the beauty are all world class...

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Just goes to show you how once the grapevine starts, its hard to stop..
Before long, Im sure we'll start hearing reports about how the GT500 vert is 5000 pounds.. LOL :whine:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
well, the GT has an aluminum body where as the Z has fiberglass/carbon fiber hybrid(2 or 4 carbon fiber fenders). i imagine the aluminum feels like a whole other car compared to the carbonfiberglass. only if ford would have used fiberglass like i was hoping.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
the Z was built with the purpose of being light. from a custom hydroformed frame that eliminates excess pieces and weight from welds, also increases strength. and like Ry trapp said, the body is lightweight.

the GT uses a different process i would imagine which would contribute alot of its extra weight in its frame chassis setup. thats where alot of the weight can be saved

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
the Z was built with the purpose of being light. from a custom hydroformed frame that eliminates excess pieces and weight from welds, also increases strength. and like Ry trapp said, the body is lightweight.

the GT uses a different process i would imagine which would contribute alot of its extra weight in its frame chassis setup. thats where alot of the weight can be saved
The Z has a custom frame? Get out, I wish Ford would have given the Gt a custom frame, instead of taking that fairmont from the back and converting it again! :thumbsup:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
The Z has a custom frame? Get out, I wish Ford would have given the Gt a custom frame, instead of taking that fairmont from the back and converting it again!

LOL you know what i mean... it was redesigned from the base C6 vettes and hydroformed out of aluminum to cut as much weight off as possible. i know the GT's frame is one off as well, but i'm not sure of how it was made and what material. if it wasnt hydroformed, then it will be heavier

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Use the same HQ materials on the C6Z and the overall weight will be good...

Radio delete and the optional wheels takes ~100 pounds off the GT. Unfortuneately less than 1% of the examples out there have the crapintosh deleted.

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
LOL you know what i mean... it was redesigned from the base C6 vettes and hydroformed out of aluminum to cut as much weight off as possible. i know the GT's frame is one off as well, but i'm not sure of how it was made and what material. if it wasnt hydroformed, then it will be heavier
:thumbsup: Just givin ya a hard time

Bracketbomber

Established Member
Be Real, Ford has always had the myopic vision that seems to be, the heavier the better. Thats why all the others run away from them in a street race, and also why the vette's are getting 28+ mpg on the hiway and the fords are barely getting 22.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
the supercharger doesnt help with gas mileage. roots blowers dont get good mileage as do turbo's and N/A motors. i think centri's also suffer on gas mileage since its belt driven.. constantly giving some boost. turbos u can stay out of booost.

satx

Banned
Orr89rocz said:
the supercharger doesnt help with gas mileage. roots blowers dont get good mileage as do turbo's and N/A motors. i think centri's also suffer on gas mileage since its belt driven.. constantly giving some boost. turbos u can stay out of booost.

buyers of 160k supercars do not care about gas mileage........now back to the topic :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread