Why the love affair with 26 spline input shafts?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Why would anyone with less than 650hp and doesn't races with slicks need a 26 sline input shaft or any other expensive driveline mod like axles.

So many people on this forum have love affairs with useless things. Talking eachother into expensive parts that they don't need. there are a lot of people on here with lots of power that drag race launching with slicks and need this stuff. But most don't, they just drive around town or take there car to the local road course. They only have 530hp and and being talked into this expensive crap and delaying installs because they heard they need this stuff.

Who has broken an input shaft?
How did you do it?
What power were you making?
I guess you haven't seen all the pictures of grenaded 10 splines that members post here??:shrug:

03yellow

Established Member
Broke mine 442 rwhp upper only. 315 bfg drs. It's the weakest link in our cars, Along with the IRS brace.

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
My stock input shaft broke on me with a 2.76 upper non ported eaton with a canned tune. I was on the street with street tires. I took a buddy for a ride, got on it in 1st, it spun. I shifted to 2nd and it was still spinning. At about 50 mph something popped and then the car was banging off the limiter. Right away I knew what it was. The car never hooked up. It broke while spinning. Im guessing the car was making around 450rwhp. Once I got it fixed and to the dyno it made 482/483. Thats why the "love affair with 26 spline input"

TRBO VNM

OP, read dwights(ironterp) thread, research and keep on reading.

input shafts haven't broken with stock power. The addiction most of us have with these cars, modding and power, it makes sense when something breaks, upgrade it. Especially when something else goes that is part of the system like the clutch or the TOB sleeve. if you are there, why not upgrade. I understand the cost of things, but if people are buying these cars and modding them on a budget, I would recommend buying a honda and don't mod it. like I said, it is addicting and if you can't control yourself, it can get out of hand fast and then you are stuck de-modding and selling.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Ive been through 2 ten splines and im only making 450/500 on drag radials. And i broke both of them on roll races. One was 2-3 shift and the other was on the 3-4 shift. Pretty obvious why they are stronger and the preferred choice. :rollseyes If you choose to keep your 10 spline dont be suprised when you bang a gear and nothings there......

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
I needed to get a new clutch and wanted to get get some info from the boards on the clutches they like. A ton of guys with 500hp cobras who need clutches and say money is tight for them. Then dipshits say you have to get the 26 spline. Its not necessary so why spend the money. If you have the money then ya its piece of mind and your ready to upgrade on some power mods.

there are several guys here who agree with me I have seen them say its not important for everyone.

BTW its not being cheap its living with-in your means.

Why are you so angry? If you think "it's not for you", then don't do it!

Personally, I will be doing it, as well as the steel TOB sleeve, when my clutch finally goes. Why? Because it is such a bitch to tear everything down, why would you want to do it again if you break that stupid shaft?:??:

Teej281

Established Member
This thread=pointless. Its kinda like with us GT guys forging our shortblocks before we make power, or like putting in 31 spline axles before we start making power or launching at 6000rpm. It is something that is prone to break, but might not. If youre tearing into the transmission and youre in there, might as well do it. If $300 is going to break your budget, you best not be upgrading to a Spec 3+ or anything like that when you can get a stock clutch for like $200 or something like that. A lot of guys that do the input shaft are going in there to upgrade. If you are going in there to replace something broken because youre in a jam, then get stock and upgrade when you can. But when most of the people in here asking about them are just going in to upgrade stuff, its something definitely worth upgrading.

MJR_TRBL

Established Member
Are you pissed about something? Why worry about it? If you think they're unnecessary then don't buy one. I know first hand that they can break with minimal power, relatively speaking. I was in the passenger seat of my friends 03 that made 517rwhp and it snapped power shifting into 3rd on BFG DR's...unless you bought your car to go buy groceries, its only a matter of time.

I guess I was pissed I read several threads were it seemed totally unecessary for a guy to put off a clutch that he needed in order to get an input shaft.

I guess i'm just different than most people. if my 10 spline broke and I had a brand new 10 spline clutch and didn't need a new one. my first thought would be that I could get a great deal on a used ten spline maybe $50.

your project: 26 spline $350 + new clutch $350 = $750

my project: 10 spline $50

sounds to me like i could do this 14 more time and still break even.

I was just mad a hearing this is a must do. No, a tune after mods is a must do. The 26 spline is just piece of mind

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Well first off if you have the 10 spline clutch, all you need to do is get a new clutch disc, and at that point you might be able to resell your new clutch disc.

And sir, if youre trying to school everyone...at least get simple addition right. $350+$350=$700, not $750. And why the hell anyone would go with a used 10 spline is beyond me...

2003cobraguy

Established Member
this thread alone inspired me to get the 26 spline lol

nah i was actually gonna get it before this, but this thread just confirms it.

ill be getting it soon as i get a new clutch. crossing the fingers it holds out til then.

TRBO VNM

sweet, there is a market for the 10 spline input shaft. I will have to start saving them instead of throwing them in the trash.

Black Sex

Established Member
I guess I was pissed I read several threads were it seemed totally unecessary for a guy to put off a clutch that he needed in order to get an input shaft.

I guess i'm just different than most people. if my 10 spline broke and I had a brand new 10 spline clutch and didn't need a new one. my first thought would be that I could get a great deal on a used ten spline maybe $50.

your project: 26 spline $350 + new clutch $350 = $750

my project: 10 spline $50

sounds to me like i could do this 14 more time and still break even.

I was just mad a hearing this is a must do. No, a tune after mods is a must do. The 26 spline is just piece of mind

How much is you time worth to you? Don't be such a cheap***. By the time you change it a few times and pay a few tow bills and buy a trim piece for your front bumper because it can't make it up on the flatbed without scraping up the bumper, it's worth changing.
Liberty Gear 03-04 Cobra 26-Spline Input Shaft Conversion [LG-26SISC] - $319.00 : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1
I think I paid $289 for mine about 1 1/2 yrs ago

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm actually pretty glad this thread popped up.

I'm at 533rwhp on a pretty conservative "endurance" tune with a 2.3 Whipple.(3.50" pulley)

I've got 24K on the original clutch. I have only been to the drags once with this car. It was stock.

I WAS thinking when it goes(the clutch), I would spend the money and get a twin disc, to get that crazy low pedal effort, and not do the input shaft, since I have not been drag racing.

I don't have wheel hop anymore because I have Delrin.

Now I'm thinking I might keep this car and adjust it a little in the drag racing direction, since I'm thinking of using an S197 based car for open track use, hopefully a BOSS.

If I do that and start banging gears, I'm going to break that input shaft... sooner or later.
I was also thinking about upping my boost since street driving and drag racing isn't going to make it over heat like 20 minutes of track does.

This thread has made me remember the drive line shock involved with drag racing and the inevitable carnage that results.

Looks like I'm going to have to seriously think about that input shaft also or I will be grandpa shifting forever.(yes I am a grandpa)

It would be fun to run a low eleven with this car. As it sits it's still the second fastest car I have ever driven.;-)

Ralo

Established Member
I plan on going to a TS so I figure I would kill my stock clutch. I got a god deal on a 26 spline twin disc so I grabbed it. I wouldn't want to have to worry about breaking my 10 spline if I ever visit the track or even on the street.

oldmodman

Established Member
During the early days (late 02) I saw two different Cobras break 10 spline shafts. One was a 2.8 upper and the other was stock right down to the air filter. Both cars broke theirs under the same conditions. They were driving down the street and hit a water crossing, floored it coming out of the water, spun all the way to redline in first, and broke the shaft speed shifting into second when it hooked up. Didn't seem to take much at all.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Preventive maintenance is never a bad thing, if you can do then great. No one is forcing you to do it. The first time I did my clutch and I didn't bother. The second time I did it so I didn't have to pull the trans again.

Users who are viewing this thread