Widebands: who’s got them and which one?

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
As the title states, I recently got my car back from Fastlane Motorsports and it made 680/722 not sure of the timing but 18.63 boost. This might be a long post so, sorry. Not sure if that’s on the high side.

I did some research but was trying to get people’s opinions that’s not from an old thread.

I know the 07-09s don’t come with knock senors or widebands so I have been looking into NGK Powerdex AFX, or AEM UEGO wideband. Also was looking into the vampire knock sensors but I don’t think they manufacture those anymore.

I was using the SCT X4 to monitor but not sure I trust it. Thanks for any input.

KEVINS

Established Member
What makes you think John's not making the Vampire knock system?
J&S Vampire

I run the Vampire and two NGK/AFX's and Malcom's dual Lean Protection Module on my 2V and love all three.

ks

KEVINS

Established Member
Tell John Kevin Slaby says Hi!

I don't remember what I have in mine b/c I had to buy extra cabling for a plug-n-play setup. I know it wasn't cheap but I was more than happy to spend whatever it took to have it for my car. It paid for its self almost instantly when it heard a lot of knock with only 7psi of boost on its first low boost test run just to test for knock.

I had plans to make 700-900hp on pump/meth which required monitoring for knock. It finally made over 700 on it but ran into distribution issues so turned the car into a flex fuel car so now I run pump and E85.

John knows his system so listen to him and do what he says..

ks

Last edited:

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Mightt need to look into running a methanol injection kit.... since there is no e85 in a 100 mike radius.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Uego. Cheap, easy, works.
X4 won't show anything but available data and a/f isn't without using analog input.

You'll need the Uego and the sct cable.

I suggest this for all my pre-11 GT500 tuning customers.

As for knock, I show them how to read plugs so we get timing set properly and HIGHLY recommend BP, Chevron, Shell or Sunoco only.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Uego. Cheap, easy, works.
X4 won't show anything but available data and a/f isn't without using analog input.

You'll need the Uego and the sct cable.

I suggest this for all my pre-11 GT500 tuning customers.

As for knock, I show them how to read plugs so we get timing set properly and HIGHLY recommend BP, Chevron, Shell or Sunoco only.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sounds good thanks that’s the wideband I’ll be getting, also I usually try to stick to the big name gas stations.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I have PLX Wideband, been using it for years and its good. I also just got the J&S vampire a couple of months ago but haven't installed it yet. While John didn't respond to phone calls he did to emails, just give him some time and he'll get back to you.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Was curious if anyone is using an Aeroforce single interceptor scan gauge? I’ve researching them and they seem to monitor a lot, BUT just realized they plug into the OBD-11 port , anyone have experience with them? If they have accurate readings? Not like plugging in the SCT X4.

fullboogie

Established Member
I run an Interceptor and have for years. It works and it's easy to datalog with the analog output. But if I were to get a new setup I would look at something else. I hate the 1980's Donkey Kong display, and even on the highest brightness setting it gets washed out in daytime even with tinted windows. My two cents.

FYI - the reason it plugs into the OBD 2 port is that it can monitor and datalog a zillion PID's, which is extremely useful. Not sure if any of the newer units can do the same, but if they can, it's only because they too plug into the OBD port. No other way to gather that data.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I use a single AeroForce Interceptor for monitoring. I also have their Wideband and MAP sensor accessories installed to keep an eye on AFR and boost, and they appear to be accurate based on what I know about my calibration. Monitored PIDs will display the same digital data whether you are using an SCT X4 or Interceptor to view them. You can use a FireWire lead to connect the AeroForce Wideband and MAP sensor analog outputs to your X4 for viewing and/or datalogging. I attached a datalog screen shot that I imported from my X4 into LiveLink on my laptop to show you what is possible at the user level. Auto RECORD at wide open throttle and PLAYBACK are awesome features on the Interceptor, since you should be looking at the road ahead instead of your gauges during a full throttle pull. It’s a quick and easy way to check a couple of parameters at a time under normal or specific operating conditions.

Aero Int1.jpg

Idle monitor live.JPG

FireWire lead.JPG

Battery voltage_AFR datalog.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread