Widened 1993 Cobra wheels

buddha93

Established Member
Pm'd you back Matt. In the process of it right now......I'll let everone know how it goes.

unibager

Established Member
I have just bought a pair of those replica rims that are 17x8.5. I paid like 280.00 including shipping. I am going to put these on the back and run 265/40/17 tires. This way, I will not change my factory rims, and I plan to use one as a show type spare.

PJM99

Established Member
Can anyone suggest the best place to buy these wheels? I know they're all over eBay but can anyone recommend a seller or and online store or something. I'm thinking about getting two for the rear, that way I can put my two best OEM's in the front. THANKS

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
unibager said:
I have just bought a pair of those replica rims that are 17x8.5. I paid like 280.00 including shipping. I am going to put these on the back and run 265/40/17 tires. This way, I will not change my factory rims, and I plan to use one as a show type spare.

You do know they won't work with stock cobra axle length, right?

PJM99

Established Member
they wont work at all. Damn, oh well, I'll just repaint the OEM's.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
If the rearend on your car is PERFECTLY centered, they MIGHT work with that size tire. Be advised that they will be flush with the lip of the rear quarter panel. Rolling the lips will gain enough clearance, possibly...

'68fastback

Established Member
When I had my cobra, I had a set of OEM cobra's that were widened to 9" and I had DR on them. I had to reverse the quads and put a 5/16" wheel spacer on, and they worked wonderful! I also had a widened 10", and with the quad removed, it would fit with a spacer, but rubbed on the exhaust. My point...9" will work :)

buddha93

Established Member
[QUOTE='68fastback] put a 5/16" wheel spacer on, and they worked wonderful! [/QUOTE]

That's the important info I needed. I knew they would work with a spacer, but I just wasn't sure what width. Thanks for the info, saves me some time!

unibager

Established Member
ok, this is how I see it. The 17x8.5s are going to be offset 3/4" laterally. The wheel that is on there now can be offset 1" laterally to meet the fender lip. So, this means I will have 1/4" inset from the lip. This is not to say that it will be like this, but the math worked out. In addition, I will center the axle laterally with my panhard bar. Either way, the wheels will be at my door on Monday, and I will test fit just the rim that night. If they seem like thay will work the way I invision I will mount tires and post pics. This way, we can all benefit from my attempt. Sound good.

buddha93

Established Member
Well, I got my wheels back today and they turned out great. I'm anxious to see how they work out on the car. One of the wheels I bought had some pretty nasty curb damage and they fixed that too so I still have to have it repainted before I get some tires mounted up.

I ended up using Weldcraft up in Michigan to handle the job. I had them back in about a week and a half, holidays included. I would highly recommend them if any of you are considering it. They charged $150 per wheel, and $45 for the damage. I'll get some pics up when I get a chance, with tires and without.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
buddha93 said:
Well, I got my wheels back today and they turned out great. I'm anxious to see how they work out on the car. One of the wheels I bought had some pretty nasty curb damage and they fixed that too so I still have to have it repainted before I get some tires mounted up.

I ended up using Weldcraft up in Michigan to handle the job. I had them back in about a week and a half, holidays included. I would highly recommend them if any of you are considering it. They charged $150 per wheel, and $45 for the damage. I'll get some pics up when I get a chance, with tires and without.

-subscribing-
yes pics please- with and without tires, inside and outside of wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is there a welded seem visible?

buddha93

Established Member
jgjcz5_th

This is one with a stocker next to it
jgjcjo_th

Here is the inside of the wheel
jgjd5x_th

And here is the section of the wheel that was damaged. Basically the outer lip was nearly broken off...it was pretty ugly. I think it turned out really well.

I'll get some pics with tires after I get them repainted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread