Widening 2011 / 2012 SVTPP wheels?

sikryd

Established Member
Has anyone widened their SVTPP wheels? I see many threads on Alcoas, but nothing for SVTPP. Please share your experience if you have any.

How wide did you go?
Rub issues?
Tire size?
Is your car lowered?
Who did the work and how much did it cost? ie... Weld Craft
Back spacing after work done?
what if anything was modified to make it fit?

I love how my wheels look, I can't afford True Forged, I need wider wheels, I gots no traction yo. The shite part is that I live in Hawaii, and no one here can do this work. Shipping is going to kill me, so I'm just trying to figure out my best course of action.

Thanks guys...

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You might want to look at this [ame="http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938"]post[/ame] by Justin Starkey on his VMP forum. It takse you through the process of widening his wheels. Having read his thread and taking some measurements on my car, when the time comes, I'm going to have mine widened to 11" and probably going to mount a set of 305/35-20s. Someone has made up some modified bump stop relocation brackets to take care of moving the bump stop when the bump stop bracket is removed. If you search this forum, you'll probably find his post.

sikryd

Established Member
You might want to look at this post by Justin Starkey on his VMP forum. It takse you through the process of widening his wheels. Having read his thread and taking some measurements on my car, when the time comes, I'm going to have mine widened to 11" and probably going to mount a set of 305/35-20s. Someone has made up some modified bump stop relocation brackets to take care of moving the bump stop when the bump stop bracket is removed. If you search this forum, you'll probably find his post.

Thanks for the info

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you get the welds smoothed, around $300 per rim plus shipping.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I've done a lot of research. I'm going to go with Eric Vaughn machine in California. Unlike weldcraft that welds in a spacer of metal, Vaughn puts on another back half of a wheel, so there's only one bead instead of two. He also doesn't have problems widening Alcoas...

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Weld craft had no problems with my Alcoas.

sikryd

Established Member
I've done a lot of research. I'm going to go with Eric Vaughn machine in California. Unlike weldcraft that welds in a spacer of metal, Vaughn puts on another back half of a wheel, so there's only one bead instead of two. He also doesn't have problems widening Alcoas...

Good info,thanks.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I just mailed mine off to Eric Vaughn today. UPS was $170! Uggg. He charges $300 per wheel and in my case $40 each for return shipping. So $850 to widen the rears.

It was either that, or a new set of wheels for appox $2000k and new front tires to match the DR rears.

I'm going to run 305/35/20 Nitto 555R's.

sikryd

Established Member
I just mailed mine off to Eric Vaughn today. UPS was $170! Uggg. He charges $300 per wheel and in my case $40 each for return shipping. So $850 to widen the rears.

It was either that, or a new set of wheels for appox $2000k and new front tires to match the DR rears.

I'm going to run 305/35/20 Nitto 555R's.

Your $170 shipping is going to be way cheaper than mine. Living in Hawaii sucks for shipping... Post up some pictures when you get them back, I want to see his quality of work, and how bad azz your car is going to look. :beer:

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Tell me about it. I lived in Hawaii for 6 years. Got back to the mainland last June. I don't miss paying 2nd day air for everything! But now I have to wait 'til spring to run the drag radials. It gets down the 20's at night here.

sikryd

Established Member
Tell me about it. I lived in Hawaii for 6 years. Got back to the mainland last June. I don't miss paying 2nd day air for everything! But now I have to wait 'til spring to run the drag radials. It gets down the 20's at night here.

I guess some things are worth paying for when your weather is warm and sunny, or warm and rainy. I hope the roads are better where you live now, as you probably remember, Hawaii's roads suck. I have to drive like Mohamed Ali.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Mohammed-Ali-and-Bill-Cosbycopy.jpg

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just curious but what is the widest DR you can run on the stock svtpp wheels?

Widest you can put on it or widest tire that is meant for that width of rim? Some people just figure since a tire technically mounts on a rim, that is also performs as intended which isn't the case. You need the proper width rim for the specific size, which the tire maker usually lists.

Users who are viewing this thread