Will a 03 or 04 bassani catted x-pipe fit 99 cobra?

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
A buddy of mine is upgrading his mid-pipe on his 2004 Redfire Coupe and is selling his bassani catted x-pipe for $175. It has four cats I believe. No tears or holes. He does not know when the previous owners slapped it on. His Cobra has 75,000 miles on it. I have a few questions:

1) Will it fit my 99 Cobra? I saw that Bassani has two different Part numbers
2) Will the CEL turn on?
3) Will I need to purchase O2 extenders? I've heard yes because the sensors are in a different place on the 04s but could not get a definite answer.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Yes, possibly, and possibly. My CELs turned on, I just turned off the rear O2s with the tune. My harness was able to reach, but others haven't had such luck.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It'll fit. The stock 2004 mid has the rear O2's right after the front cats. Generally the aftermarket mid pipes have the rear O2's behind the rear cats. When you get the pipe it'll be obvious if you need extenders.

You may or may not need a tune. Depends on the shape the cats are in. I ran a Bassani catted X for a long time with no tune and never threw a code.

If it has 4 cats I highly doubt it's and aftermarket mid pipe. That sounds more like the stocker.

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
It'll fit. The stock 2004 mid has the rear O2's right after the front cats. Generally the aftermarket mid pipes have the rear O2's behind the rear cats. When you get the pipe it'll be obvious if you need extenders.

You may or may not need a tune. Depends on the shape the cats are in. I ran a Bassani catted X for a long time with no tune and never threw a code.

If it has 4 cats I highly doubt it's and aftermarket mid pipe. That sounds more like the stocker.

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your responses.

That makes sense. I'll make sure to check out the position of the O2 sensors to see if I'll need the extenders or not.

He just sent me a pic. It's the one on top. It looks pretty beat up no? Kind looks like the cats were cut a welded in also lol...

116a9be3eec6e9616a66072867e39129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
That looks like extra cats were welded in, possibly for inspection purposes. It's been a long time since I had one, but I remember only having two cats, like the pipe on the bottom. I'm not sure if that would be worth it performance wise if you need the extra cats in there. That being said, when I installed a Bassani X, with only two cats, it was a fairly significant performance boost. For a bolt on part at least. No dyno numbers, but you could feel the difference for sure.

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
That looks like extra cats were welded in, possibly for inspection purposes. It's been a long time since I had one, but I remember only having two cats, like the pipe on the bottom. I'm not sure if that would be worth it performance wise if you need the extra cats in there. That being said, when I installed a Bassani X, with only two cats, it was a fairly significant performance boost. For a bolt on part at least. No dyno numbers, but you could feel the difference for sure.

Performance wise, I don't have plans on tracking my car anytime soon. It recently had an engine rebuild at 15X,XXX miles. The piston rings needed to be replaced and the crank had to be turned. It's on it's last cut at .30. The guy before abused the car.

I just want a nice sounding exhaust that is CA legal. With 4 cats, will the x-pipe even sound any different from the stock H-pipe? Am I better off just getting a catback system?

01yellercobra

Established Member
It looks like someone welded an X pipe onto the stock cats. You probably won't see much change in sound or performance with that mid pipe.

If you want to remain legal you need to keep the stock mid pipe and find a different cat back.

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
It looks like someone welded an X pipe onto the stock cats. You probably won't see much change in sound or performance with that mid pipe.

If you want to remain legal you need to keep the stock mid pipe and find a different cat back.

Get a catback and keep the stock h pipe.

Thanks for the input guys! Knowledge is power! lol

I'm just going to save up for some stingers

Users who are viewing this thread