Will changing my clutch solve my TOB issue?

CobraKid04

Established Member
My TOB is making a lot of noise and needs replaced. If I buy a new clutch such as Spec 2+ will this take care of the TOB as well. http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-14091/sf873h-spec-99-04-cobra-mach-1-clutch-kit-stage-2-plus-10-spline.html. I noticed the Fidanza (3.2) comes with a TOB but, not to many run this clutch.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-11470/383079-fidanza-03-04-cobra-32-performance-clutch-kit-10-spline.html

Also what else should I look into buying along with the clutch and what is the purpose of the product?

Thanks
Mike

Avenger

Established Member
Uhh ? If your TOB is noisy, all you have to do is change it. No need to buy a clutch to solve a TOB issue. On the other hand, if you feel like upgrading while you're there then go for it.

Avenger

Established Member
The TOB is applying pressure on the pressure plate to disengage the clutch disc when you push the pedal in. Regarding the provided link, I don't know if the T56 requires a specific TOB or not, might want to check with your dealer.

Make sure to inspect the TOB sleeve for cracks while you're in there.

Last edited:

CobraKid04

Established Member
Since i have to drop the tranny to get to it changing the clutch would be a good idea. So would buying a spec 2+ replace the TOB or not?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Avenger

Established Member
Well, the release bearing is installed on the clutch fork. It is completely independant from the pressure plate / clutch disc and flywheel. You could keep the factory TOB with a brand new clutch but that might not be the smartest thing to do. Just like any other part, the TOB has to be purchased separately if it's not included in the "clutch kit" your vendor is offering.

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
SPEC usually includes the TOB in their kits, but most don't like it. I put in a FRPP one.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Do you have a firewall aduster? You can try adjusting the cable and pulliing the TOB off the pressure plate.

A Quadrant and firewall adjuster might be something to think about in the future.

03snkvert

Established Member
Do you have a firewall aduster? You can try adjusting the cable and pulliing the TOB off the pressure plate.

A Quadrant and firewall adjuster might be something to think about in the future.

Do you tighten the cable or loosen the cable to try and get the chirp out?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Do you tighten the cable or loosen the cable to try and get the chirp out?

Loosen. With the Fiore FW adj you can pull the sleeve behind the adjusting knob on the cable out and if you see a 1/8-1/16" gap between the black covering and silver FW adjuster you are where you should be, otherwise you can pull off the cover plate on the bell housing and you need about an 1/8" gap between the TOB and pressure plate. Mine is adjusted fine but still makes a bit of noise from time to time.

Josh

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
If your TOB is making noise, it may be damaged and need replaced (really soon). If that is the case, you may want to have a TOB retainer sleeve on hand as that may have been damaged as well. Even if it wasn't, since you're already changing that out it would be cheap peice of mind. Is it making a squeeling or a clicking noise? Aside from that, if you are changing out a $400+ clutch setup, you definately want to change the $30 TOB. I recommend staying away from Stock Ford or CF TOB. I have had two go bad after a few hundred miles.

Users who are viewing this thread