Will dealership personnel be testing out your new '03?

Black Cobra

Established Member
Like us, I imagine that many at the dealerships are itching to get behind the wheel. I plan on talking to my dealer here fairly soon about that. I want the car taken off the truck, prepped and then parked. Preferably, I'de like to be there when it arrived.

I want the least amount of miles possible on the car when I pick it up. My '98 was sitting in the showroom when I bought it and had 10 miles on it. I imagine it was test driven. The '03 is the first one I've ordered. What's the typical milage when a car arrives at the dealership? Is there any documention that the delivery truck driver would have written down the mileage of the car "as delivered"?

nsreed

Established Member
New car prep is supposed to include a 3 to 5 mile test drive no matter what the car is. Not all of them get that, but I can guarantee the Cobras will.

I agree, I don't want half the dealership out roasting the thing to see how they run. Especially with my car being the first 03 Cobra they are getting.

You can indeed request it be prepped and parked with no test drive. In fact, you don't even have to let them take the plastic off the seats or even clean it up. You can detail it the way you like. That is what I am doing!

nsreed

Established Member
Sorry, you asked about typical miles on a car just off the truck.

In gereral. most vehicles arrive with about 5 to 7 tenths of a mile. Depeding on where they are built some have more, how many transfers they have off of rail & trucks etc. BUT, some are pulled at the factory and driven. Most of the time it's an emmission check and usually no more then 2 miles total. And that is noted on the car when it arrives with a sticker. I have no idea if they will be giving the Cobras an extra going over, but in view of the 2001 troubles, I would bet they are.

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
When I was a porter the typical mileage on new cars was that 3-5 for most cars. A few had more. I never test drove anything. I know if I ever order a 35K car I will be the one taking the plastic off and the window sticker. I wouldn't let them touch my car.

I like when Vipers went out. Taken off the truck with the owner there and he drove it or trailered it home. I was selling cars when I watched the Vipers get delivered so I can't speak on porters and that tape/glue removal issue.

mineral03

Established Member
Im gonna call my dealer tomorrow and talk to him about that. I dont want them to do ANYTHING with it. Pull it off the truck and leave it alone!!! I want it to still be in the wrapper. I work for a dealership (MB, not ford), and i know how it works when the new "cool cars" come in. "hey dude, we just got one of the SLK 32 AMG's in, let go see how it does!!" " DUde, i just drove that new 400 hp M5, burns rubber thru 3rd gear!!" Thats exactly what i dont want happening in my car. I want to be there when it rolls off the truck, but thats pretty doubtful... so.... gonna have to tell the dealer whats up!!!!

C_Record

Established Member
Fortunately my salesman knows how anal I am. He already told me no one will touch the car(except for the mandatory PDI), nothing will be removed, cleaned, etc. I'll have to wash it myself at their store when I pick it up.

Last edited:

SPDFRK

Established Member
American cars don't have to many. When I was in Germany I went to the BMW and Mercedes factory and you will not get one with less than about 15 miles on it. BMW runs every single car on a Dyno before it leaves the plant. Mercedes takes all there cars on a test track with a series of conditions to listen for possible rattles or odd noises that may occur. I think your best bet would to request to pick it up, Not prepped when you arrive that way you can watch who and what they are doing with it!

Trust me, I worked at a Dealership when I was in High School and the shop guys there were not kind to new vehicles. Vehicles that were sold were even worse! Don't get me wrong there are a few good dealers out there but it is very rare! I don't know how many stories I have heard about the new shop boys, "I just wanted to see what it could do!":shrug:

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
DRIVING SOLD UNITS

As a dealership salesperson, I would like to give an inside view of what happens. First when it comes off new car carrier a inspection of the interior and exterior of the vehicle is done for damage. When a car is made ready it is driven so that everything feels right and a full tank of premium fuel is put into the car. Now one of the quickest ways to get fired is to drive or abuse a sold new car. Maybe there are some places it happens but not at my store. I have seen some fistfights when a salesman drives someone else's sold truck let alone cobra. I also have a cobra coming in hopefully the week of 5/27 which is when its due. I still want my shop to do a safety check so I don't get hurt.;-)

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
DRIVING SOLD UNITS

As a dealership salesperson, I would like to give an inside view of what happens. First when it comes off new car carrier a inspection of the interior and exterior of the vehicle is done for damage. When a car is made ready it is driven so that everything feels right and a full tank of premium fuel is put into the car. Now one of the quickest ways to get fired is to drive or abuse a sold new car. Maybe there are some places it happens but not at my store. I have seen some fistfights when a salesman drives someone else's sold truck let alone cobra. I also have a cobra coming in hopefully the week of 5/27 which is when its due. I still want my shop to do a safety check so I don't get hurt.;-)

Black Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to call my dealer Monday and try to find out what the status is on my car and tell him I want it parked when it comes off the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread