Will the '13 GT500 be the Boss 429 of this era?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
So of course there's been a ton of talk about the 2013 GT500 and how it's going to be a pinnacle achievement. After watching the Barrett-Jackson & Meccum auto auctions the past couple of weeks I got to thinking would it be likely that the '13 GT500 might be the Boss 429 Mustang of our generation?

I know the two cars are produced under completely different circumstances, the Boss '9 was a "homolagation special" and the GT500 is essentially a proof of concept deal ( and a b***h slap to the GM/Camaro boys ). But a lot of people have reasonably asked how much further can Ford or anyone else push this envelope w/ the current generation of cars & engines?

While as a die hard Mustang fan I'd love to see the march of progressively more powerful Mustangs continue, I wonder how realistic that is even from a practicality stand point. Since all indications are there will be a redesign in 2015 I'm kind of thinking the TVS charged 5.8 will pass into legend after 2014 likely to be replaced by a somewhat tamer Coyote or 6.2 variant.

Just curios what others here may think?

oldmodman

Established Member
Wait for 2014.

That will be when the "Special Edition" comes out.

4.0L Whipple

Ford's version of the Killer Chiller.

1025rwhp.

And it will have a parachute option.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So of course there's been a ton of talk about the 2013 GT500 and how it's going to be a pinnacle achievement. After watching the Barrett-Jackson & Meccum auto auctions the past couple of weeks I got to thinking would it be likely that the '13 GT500 might be the Boss 429 Mustang of our generation?

I know the two cars are produced under completely different circumstances, the Boss '9 was a "homolagation special" and the GT500 is essentially a proof of concept deal ( and a b***h slap to the GM/Camaro boys ). But a lot of people have reasonably asked how much further can Ford or anyone else push this envelope w/ the current generation of cars & engines?

While as a die hard Mustang fan I'd love to see the march of progressively more powerful Mustangs continue, I wonder how realistic that is even from a practicality stand point. Since all indications are there will be a redesign in 2015 I'm kind of thinking the TVS charged 5.8 will pass into legend after 2014 likely to be replaced by a somewhat tamer Coyote or 6.2 variant.

Just curios what others here may think?

I could honestly see the 650 hp GT500 stick around for 2 years and then disappear. I don't want it to happen, but didn't it seem like forever between the Terminator's end in 2004 and 2007 when the supercharged GT500 came out?

If there is a few year break between the top performance Mustang, who says it will come back?

Disclaimer: I hope I'm very very wrong.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I dont know, the HP game have been pretty out of control the last few years, I wouldnt be surprised if the GT500 starts coming withthe FRPP whipple as an option and in the 700+hp range.

Also, is it just me or doest 650hp seem like a strong under rating for the GT500 considering it is now 5.8L, 9:1 compression, TVS charged, and running 15lbs of boost? I mean, iirc there are TVS 5.4L gt500s making around 650WHP at the 15-16psi range. Now with a bigger engine, and more compression I wouldnt be suprised if we see bone stock GT500's putting 600+ to the wheels, but thats just me. All I know is I WANT ONE

REX-RACER

Established Member
Thanks for the thoughtful opinions folks. The more I think about it the more I could really see this version of the GT500 as a "swan song" for '13 & '14 going out w/ the proverbial bang just like the Boss 429. It'll be an instant collectors car if that's the case. At least I think we're safe on not getting stuck w/ a retro version of the Mustang II!

Don't we all man

Ditto!

How much are they gonna be?

Well that's the $65k question everyone's asking?! ;-)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Nope, id imagine the next gen will be even better. Imagine a slightly lighter chassis thats even better than the current S197 chassis.

Regulations havent done anything but make the horsepower war even better. As long as we keep getting a fuel efficient base model that accounts for 90% of sales the 8% of GT and 2% of GT500 (estimating of course) to keep within fleetwide regulations, things will continue to get better.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
I shouldn't think too much more than the 2012's price. The block actually didn't cost very much more per unit over the 2012 block anyways.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I dont know, the HP game have been pretty out of control the last few years, I wouldnt be surprised if the GT500 starts coming withthe FRPP whipple as an option and in the 700+hp range.

Also, is it just me or doest 650hp seem like a strong under rating for the GT500 considering it is now 5.8L, 9:1 compression, TVS charged, and running 15lbs of boost? I mean, iirc there are TVS 5.4L gt500s making around 650WHP at the 15-16psi range. Now with a bigger engine, and more compression I wouldnt be suprised if we see bone stock GT500's putting 600+ to the wheels, but thats just me. All I know is I WANT ONE

the way that it is rated is its MINIMUM sustainable hp...in other words ford is saying it will make at least 650hp @ 6250 rpms sustained. hits peak hp is closer to 700.

yeah...scary....

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
maybe a cult car? a la GNX, typhoon/syclone, 5.9 grand cherokee, ss trailblazer, turbo-t, svo, 95 5.0, supra, rx7 3rd gen, 454ss pickup, 03-04 cobra....

high numbers but still mean something to people as they are stuff of legends.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
it depends more on what comes after it then anything I think. The new generation could be faster with less horsepower but weigh in less, and then be an ugly SOB and no one will think of it as the same. I really wonder where the horsepower wars are gonna end. It is kinda getting ridiculous to the point of why even mod cars, just wait for the new generation to come out. What I don;t get is where these people are getting the money if the economy is in such shit right now, its gotta be baby boomers because no one my age can afford diddles, so at some point I assume things will start to decrease until the next generation of gear heads has the coin.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nope, id imagine the next gen will be even better. Imagine a slightly lighter chassis thats even better than the current S197 chassis.

Regulations haven't done anything but make the horsepower war even better. As long as we keep getting a fuel efficient base model that accounts for 90% of sales the 8% of GT and 2% of GT500 (estimating of course) to keep within fleetwide regulations, things will continue to get better.

My same thoughts when I saw this thread. And I'll add, maybe with power north of 650. A 3,500 - 3,700 lb. GT-500 making 700hp would be an absolute beast that would take no prisoners, providing you were able to harness that power on the street. If only we had a crystal ball and knew what Ford was planning for the model year 2015 and beyond. It's certainly one hell of a time period to be buying a muscle car. Thank you Ford! :bowdown:

Fuerza

Established Member
Not as rare as the Boss 429

The current production cars don't. The GT500KR are still selling at a premium price. Even with that I don't see the Mustang in the same light as the old school muscle cars. Great cars, just the Shelby name is so commercial now it takes away from the rarity.

REX-RACER

Established Member
It wont be a collectible if that's what you're asking...

Not as rare as the Boss 429

That's actually not the question I'm asking.

I know it won't be a collectable like the '00R and it won't be as rare as the Boss 429 although the Boss 429 wasn't necessarily an instant collector car back in '69 & '70, we only see it's escalated value 40+ years later so who knows what position the 2013/14 GT500 will take? Keep in mind the GT500 is something of a low volume production by nature and I've not heard how many of the 2013/14 are slated to be built. I doubt there's going to be 10,000 of them in each model year so only time is gonna tell on this one and as some folks have pointed out, it's going to depend heavily on what comes next?

That's the real question I'm asking is rather will the 2013/14 GT500 represent something of a high water mark no matter how many get built? I would caution against the false assumption of linear thinking that things can and will "always get better". That's the kind of thinking that brings about market bubbles. While I'd certainly like to see the ever increasing "MORE" how realistic is that given there may be outside forces that could eventually slow this whole thing down a bit?

Take for example the weird 276 hp limit imposed on the JDM market back in the 80's & 90's or the 155mph "electronically limited" euro sedans due to tire technology. Sure these limits were external but that's kind of the point I'm making.

I just think it's foolish to dismiss the notion that 650hp is a lot and it could be something of a last harrah for this particular engine platform.

Users who are viewing this thread