Will the 2019 GT500 be a hybrid electric

SlowSVT

Established Member
I've been reading about Ford's announcement of the upcoming 2019 GT500 release making 700"+" hp which has had me scratching my head for some time. The only V8 engine platform Ford currently has is the 5 liter Coyote and the 5.2 Voodoo which the rumor are it will be a 5.2 with a cross plane crank. Considering the last GT500 ford needed to stretch the mod motor based engine to 5.8 liters achieve 662 hp I'm wondering how they are going to make 700+ hp working with only 5.2 while still honoring a 100,000 warrantee?

It appears that Ford will soon be releasing a hybrid electric Mustang and when you think about it this would be a logical step to take the GT500 in the same direction to achieve their horsepower goals augmenting a 5.2 with an electric motor. This got me curious and did a web search and found people asking the same questions. This actually makes a lot of sense from a corporate perspective as it will showcase Ford's new electric vehicle platforms and what better way to do that than with a fire and spark breathing GT500 to usher in Ford's step into the future of transportation. From an enthusiast perspective, adding a battery and an electric motor to the platform will likely take the car past the 4000 lb mark while adding a whole new sub-system for hot rodders to contend with. If this is done before they retire the S550 platform it will be more of a retrofit finding a place to locate the battery and provisioning the electric drive components (will it have regenerative braking as well?). The S650 will have those provisions built into the chassis.

I think this will be welcome news for some consumers but not so much for car enthusiast having the deal with the extra weigh and complexity that comes with it. Nothing like a caged internal combustion engine growling under the hood to get your adrenalin flowing. I wonder if Ford will shut off the engine at a stop light or around town like many of todays hybrid electric cars which will help with both CAFE and emission regulations. Imagine sitting next to a 2019 GT500 at a light that made less noise than a pin drop? Not very inspiring. The tealeaf's tells me this is what Ford is going to spring on us in the new GT500.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Say whhhhaaaaaaaaaatttttttt?!?!!?!
lol

stang910

Established Member
Very doubtful. New engine will be coyote based which has proven time and time again once it’s boosted will run away from the old modular based engines.

To sum it up a built coyote based engine can make 800+ flywheel hp without even trying once you add boost.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Very doubtful. New engine will be coyote based which has proven time and time again once it’s boosted will run away from the old modular based engines.

To sum it up a built coyote based engine can make 800+ flywheel hp without even trying once you add boost.

I think John Mihovetz has a different perspective on the coyote vs the mod motor debate?

The V6 has been dropped, the ecoboost 4 is the base engine leaving only the coyote which appears Ford has delaying releasing in the GT500 most likely for durability reasons (the linerless block and thin margin between the bores doesn't bode well for big boost). Something tells me a hybrid GT500 is a real possibility Ford could care less what you or I think. The V8 days are numbered Tesla better watch their "6"

DepWraith

Established Member
Don't see a hybrid happening in this platform...now the next, maybe. 700+ from a coyote or voodoo is not hard, especially if they went turbos.

Voltwings

Established Member
More RPM, VVT, better heads, better cams, better supercharger ... > Displacement.

Voltwings

Established Member
electric motor > RPM, VVT, better heads, better cams, better supercharger LOL

You're not wrong, my comment was in regards to the OP saying the previous GT500 needed 5.8L so how would this one do it with only 5.0 or 5.2.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You're not wrong, my comment was in regards to the OP saying the previous GT500 needed 5.8L so how would this one do it with only 5.0 or 5.2.

The heads flow better already. The motor has more compression, and the blower is gonna be the new tvs 2.6L doesn't seem hard to make more power with all those being said. Really its gonna come down to what new cooling mods they do to keep it cool enough to perform.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
A 10psi 2.65 TVS CPC 5.2 at 10:1 with barely aggressive cams will easily dominate a stock trinity mill.

Wall thickness aside, 10psi is a joke. It would live a very long time.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Thought I would resurrect this thread. From reading the tea leaves I looks like my prediction will come true, the GT500 will have some form of hybrid drive and perhaps 100% electrification in the next few years. I heard rumors of the 5.2 driving the real wheels while electric motors will drive the front. Another possibility is they go "all electric" which is where Ford is heading anyhow.

There is huge potential for acceleration either way but I'm not sure how well a hybrid or even more so an all electric GT500 will be received by the car enthusiast we would be trading in our Whipple's and TVS's for a higher voltage battery packs. The all electric S550 Cobra Jet Ford Performance built has pretty mind bending performance it does 170 1/4's.

As for me I prefer noisy, shacking rumble of a blown V8

Users who are viewing this thread