Windham Weaponry AR15's

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Posting in here because there's more traffic.
Any real world experiences and or opinions on these? Familiar with the AR platform,I just haven't heard much about these guys except they're old Bushmaster guys who started there own 'shop'
Thanks in advance,
OP is a....................................

Jebadias

Established Member
Sorry, no first hand experience but what little I have heard about them is positive. If I was looking to buy an AR again and saw a good deal on one of their rifles I would consider it.

Sirraf

Established Member
The guy used to be with Bushmaster, they had their differences, he vowed to start a line of AR-15s for much cheaper and of the same quality; they are good rifles. I plan on buying a Wyndham carbon fiber in a couple months. Doesn't have any sights (stripper model) but it is super light, comes with 4 -Pmags for $689 OTD; Can't beat that. I have broken down the Wyndham and the bolt carrier group, firing pin, carter pin, etc are of the same material used in my Colt M4.

tnuce10

Established Member
I have not shot one, only held it.

Seemed like a nicely built rifle and light as hell!

I would definitely consider one.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
The guy used to be with Bushmaster, they had their differences, he vowed to start a line of AR-15s for much cheaper and of the same quality; they are good rifles. I plan on buying a Wyndham carbon fiber in a couple months. Doesn't have any sights (stripper model) but it is super light, comes with 4 -Pmags for $689 OTD; Can't beat that.

I have broken down the Wyndham and the bolt carrier group, firing pin, carter pin, etc are of the same material used in my Colt M4.

i'll punch this out into three parts:

1 - the Windham "carbon" rifles are complete and total shit! Bushmaster and a few others make the exact same product and nothing has changed... they're junk.

if you plan to buy it, stuff it under the bed and rarely, if ever, shoot it then i guess it'll do. before the split, when it was Bushmaster from Maine, we sent back well over a dozen of them for function issues. that's AFTER we repaired several trying to keep them running for a few guys. eventually the boss got tired of paying me to fix them and decided to just start shipping them back...

two weeks ago one of my customers brought a Windham carbon in that wouldn't hold zero. a loose barrel nut on a brand new gun, go figure :shrug:

just so we're clear, the carbon things aren't produced in Windham Main either. they come from Arizona... strangely, the same state that the crappy Bushy guns came from. (some current Bushmaster carbon rifles i've seen recently say N.Y.).

2 - there **may** be truth in the bolt carrier and small components being constructed from the same material as your Colt. this doesn't instantly transfer to both of them being the same quality.

the exact spec and grade of each metal used is an unknown for most Bushmaster parts. the spec on the heat treat of these components is also largely unknown. ... type of finish, method used to apply and quality of workmanship aren't exact.

the quality and construction of the BOLT itself are NOT the same. the testing process is NOT the same. the spring, insert and steel used for the extractor are NOT the same.

so, while the firing pin and associated retaining pin MAY be the same it doesn't translate into the quality of the two being equal.

3 - Windham guns are not "MUCH" cheaper than Bushmaster branded products, new and old.

i'm far from a Colt fan and i don't really have a lot of issues with Windham or Bushmaster for the occasional "recreational" shooter. my main issue with both of them is a quality for money invested thing.

the carbon guns are shit no matter who's name is on them. i don't care what internet mall ninja review anyone digs up contradicting my view... when you do what i do, repair the guns i do and ACTUALLY care about the end user like i do you wouldn't want anything to do with the carbon guns.

M&P sport can be had for about $655.00

Sirraf

Established Member
i'll punch this out into three parts:

1 - the Windham "carbon" rifles are complete and total shit! Bushmaster and a few others make the exact same product and nothing has changed... they're junk.

if you plan to buy it, stuff it under the bed and rarely, if ever, shoot it then i guess it'll do. before the split, when it was Bushmaster from Maine, we sent back well over a dozen of them for function issues. that's AFTER we repaired several trying to keep them running for a few guys. eventually the boss got tired of paying me to fix them and decided to just start shipping them back...

two weeks ago one of my customers brought a Windham carbon in that wouldn't hold zero. a loose barrel nut on a brand new gun, go figure :shrug:

just so we're clear, the carbon things aren't produced in Windham Main either. they come from Arizona... strangely, the same state that the crappy Bushy guns came from. (some current Bushmaster carbon rifles i've seen recently say N.Y.).

2 - there **may** be truth in the bolt carrier and small components being constructed from the same material as your Colt. this doesn't instantly transfer to both of them being the same quality.

the exact spec and grade of each metal used is an unknown for most Bushmaster parts. the spec on the heat treat of these components is also largely unknown. ... type of finish, method used to apply and quality of workmanship aren't exact.

the quality and construction of the BOLT itself are NOT the same. the testing process is NOT the same. the spring, insert and steel used for the extractor are NOT the same.

so, while the firing pin and associated retaining pin MAY be the same it doesn't translate into the quality of the two being equal.

3 - Windham guns are not "MUCH" cheaper than Bushmaster branded products, new and old.

i'm far from a Colt fan and i don't really have a lot of issues with Windham or Bushmaster for the occasional "recreational" shooter. my main issue with both of them is a quality for money invested thing.

the carbon guns are shit no matter who's name is on them. i don't care what internet mall ninja review anyone digs up contradicting my view... when you do what i do, repair the guns i do and ACTUALLY care about the end user like i do you wouldn't want anything to do with the carbon guns.

M&P sport can be had for about $655.00

Dude calm down lmao. For a $680 gun, its a pretty good deal. Is an M&P for $1200 better, absolutely. I highly doubt anyone is going to find themselves in a combat situation involving their AR rifles in America. For the money and the occasional shooter, it is fine.

For someone like you who sound like you demand perfection out of every firearm you have, then no, it probably wouldn't work for you. You have much higher standard for your weapons and probably deeper pockets as well.

Send me the link to your 5.56 M&P for $655, if that is so, then I would buy that instead.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Dude calm down lmao. For a $680 gun, its a pretty good deal. Is an M&P for $1200 better, absolutely. I highly doubt anyone is going to find themselves in a combat situation involving their AR rifles in America. For the money and the occasional shooter, it is fine.

For someone like you who sound like you demand perfection out of every firearm you have, then no, it probably wouldn't work for you. You have much higher standard for your weapons and probably deeper pockets as well.

Send me the link to your 5.56 M&P for $655, if that is so, then I would buy that instead.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+M&P+Semi-Automatic+223+Remington5.56+NATO+30

S&W Model M&P15 Sport Rifle

Best for last

http://www.slickguns.com/product/smith-wesson-mp15-sport-556-mm-nato-16-barrel-30-rnds-59999
Compare Prices

Price

Availability

Shipping rate

GrabAGun.com $579.00 In stock $5.99 on Firearms
Firearms For You $585.00 In stock Free
Kentucky Gun Co $593.99 In stock Free
Lanbo's Armory $599.95 In stock Calculate Postage in Cart
Centerfire Guns $609.00 In stock Free
Tombstone Tactical $615.00 In stock $20-$25
Cheaper Than Dirt $622.72 In Stock Free

Buds Gun Shop $636.00 In stock Free
Firearms for Sale $637.72 In stock Free Shipping
Joe Bob Outfitters $699.95 In stock Free over $90 except Handguns
Gallery Of Guns Quote In stock

Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore $578.99 Out of stock Free
Woodbury Outfitters $629.99 Out of stock Additional
Nelson Tactical $689.99 Out of stock Additional
Slickguns Deal - Vance Outdoors $699.99 Out of stock
Gander Mountain $729.99 Free for everything
Slickguns Deal - D&L Shooting Supplies $799.00 Out of stock
Palmetto State Armory undefined Out of stock $15
Impact Guns undefined Undefined Additional

Last edited:

Sirraf

Established Member
It doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist.
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

HandBanana

Established Member

Really???? Uhh, I picked up mine right after the stabilization and inflated market happened and I paid $549. 3,000 rnds later, no issues.

Windham makes an acceptable, cheap rifle but I'd stick with the M&P.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I've been price shopping the M+P sport as well, not worried about the dust cover or forward assist [ thats what my forefinger is for]. I haven't checked my local Gander about the M+P, my local Wally World has the Windham for 849 which I thought was a little high, and no I don't remember the model.:bash:
I think the M+P would be the better rifle

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
Windham Weaponry SRC 5.56 Rifle NIB NO CC FEES : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

I believe this is the same one Wal-Mart sells, for a hell of a lot less money. It isn't the carbon fiber A/R. I want one but I want other things more so this will have to wait.

The same vendor has a THREE A/R package deal, same rifle as above, you could buy three, sell two at a slight mark up (still a fair price), and end up with one for under $500.

Windham SRC 5.56 THREE PACK of Rifles NIB Aluminum : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Armedsuspect knows what he's talking about. All of those carbon guns are garbage. The only non aluminum upper or lower I've seen that wasn't a complete and utter piece of shit was the old Calvary arms. The bushmaster, windhams, plum crazy, NFA's are all heaping piles of shit.

If you want an AR to say you have an AR and are to cheap to buy a decent rifle then buy the M&P sport. They miss a critical component to the reliability of the AR platform (the dust cover) but overall they are a halfway decent rifle. The majority of people on this site being car owners that dump money into something that depreciates I'm sure can afford to spend a grand for a decent AR that will only go up in value.

And really, 4 pmags make it a deal? $40 worth of mags?

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
Armedsuspect knows what he's talking about. All of those carbon guns are garbage. The only non aluminum upper or lower I've seen that wasn't a complete and utter piece of shit was the old Calvary arms. The bushmaster, windhams, plum crazy, NFA's are all heaping piles of shit.

If you want an AR to say you have an AR and are to cheap to buy a decent rifle then buy the M&P sport. They miss a critical component to the reliability of the AR platform (the dust cover) but overall they are a halfway decent rifle. The majority of people on this site being car owners that dump money into something that depreciates I'm sure can afford to spend a grand for a decent AR that will only go up in value.

And really, 4 pmags make it a deal? $40 worth of mags?

m&p15 is a great rifle for the price also a good starter rifle..ill be building my next ar15 shortly though! :beer:

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
My brother has one
I shot it many many times
Very good weapon
I think it's better than my colt honestly
It's a very solid gun
He changed the handgaurd for a Daniel defense
I really like the gun
If I had the money I would buy another one
They have a removable top which is a plus if you want Magpul rears