Winter DR Storage

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
So a buddy of mine has a pair of mt ET Street SS’s that he used for like a week before he sold his car. The tires have been Unmounted And have been sitting in his enclosed trailer over the winter and it’s been down to -40 multiple times since. He asked me if I’d want to buy them for a good deal. Figure 4 months in subzero temps will hurt the compounds at all?

PM-Performance

Established Member
Just take a look at them first. It gets cold in PA as well and my car lives on drag radials. I just keep the car in the air over the winter.
Really I dont think it is any different than leaving drag radials in the garage or shed. Not many are blessed with heated garages

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Just take a look at them first. It gets cold in PA as well and my car lives on drag radials. I just keep the car in the air over the winter.
Really I dont think it is any different than leaving drag radials in the garage or shed. Not many are blessed with heated garages

That’s kinda my thoughts too thanks.

Why do people live where it gets to -40 on the regular?

In my case I make 2.5x more /yr than most people and only work 6 months. Lol

PM-Performance

Established Member
That’s kinda my thoughts too thanks.

In my case I make 2.5x more /yr than most people and only work 6 months. Lol

****, thats still a hard sell on that temp. lol.
Good luck on the tires. Just use common sense when looking at them. I would try and get them in some heat to see if they feel right when warmer for good measure. But if it is a close friend I am sure if there is an issue, he will work with you and be understanding of wanting to go the extra mile.

69b302

Established Member
Race tires are best when fresh, and time alone kills their grip. Below is from MT, on tire storage. If the price is right, and you are not racing for money?

MICKEY THOMPSON® D.O.T. AND NON-D.O.T. DRAG RACING TIRES EXTENDED STORAGE OR WINTER STORAGE

STORAGE PROCEDURES AND TIPS

1. Remove the tires from the car or jack the car up to remove the load.
  2. Drop air pressure to 5 pounds.
  3. Keep the tires away from direct light (sun or fluorescent). It is best to keep tires covered.
  4. Keep tires away from electric motors I.E. furnace, air compressor, etc. These create OZONE, which will damage the tire.
  5. Mickey Thompson suggests that you keep tires away from extreme high and low temperatures.
  6. Do not use any chemicals on the tires. To clean them use a mild detergent and water. Rinse well. Do not clean the tread surface.
    By following these simple precautions you will get the best service from your tires. If you experience inconsistent 60′ & 330′ times the next season, it’s probably time to replace the tires.
    This is Mickey Thompson DRAG / STREET Technical Bulletin #5

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Good reason I guess. :)

Ya, just have to layer up on clothes and complain a lot. Lol

****, thats still a hard sell on that temp. lol.
Good luck on the tires. Just use common sense when looking at them. I would try and get them in some heat to see if they feel right when warmer for good measure. But if it is a close friend I am sure if there is an issue, he will work with you and be understanding of wanting to go the extra mile.

Thanks. Yes I think I’ll get him to put them in his heated garage over night then swing by to check them out.

Why not ask the mfg of the tire, I'm sure they would tell you.
Fair enough thanks.

Race tires are best when fresh, and time alone kills their grip. Below is from MT, on tire storage. If the price is right, and you are not racing for money?

MICKEY THOMPSON® D.O.T. AND NON-D.O.T. DRAG RACING TIRES EXTENDED STORAGE OR WINTER STORAGE

STORAGE PROCEDURES AND TIPS

1. Remove the tires from the car or jack the car up to remove the load.
  2. Drop air pressure to 5 pounds.
  3. Keep the tires away from direct light (sun or fluorescent). It is best to keep tires covered.
  4. Keep tires away from electric motors I.E. furnace, air compressor, etc. These create OZONE, which will damage the tire.
  5. Mickey Thompson suggests that you keep tires away from extreme high and low temperatures.
  6. Do not use any chemicals on the tires. To clean them use a mild detergent and water. Rinse well. Do not clean the tread surface.
    By following these simple precautions you will get the best service from your tires. If you experience inconsistent 60′ & 330′ times the next season, it’s probably time to replace the tires.
    This is Mickey Thompson DRAG / STREET Technical Bulletin #5

Thanks bud. These would be strictly for street use as I have my drag pack for the track. I appreciate that info thanks. Time wise they were bought last spring and only briefly mounted and used. I’ll have a look at the tires when all warmed up and decide.

Radron2626

Established Member
Give them a look over and use common sense. I keep my car on the same tires all year and it gets pretty cold in Denver. Not -40, but very cold still.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The cold storage isn’t good but it’s the use or load on them in cold temps that’s the main problem.
Hopefully they’ll be a good deal.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread