Winter Wheel Package

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
2019 Explorer Sport 4WD:
- Recommendations?
- Less expensive to order from site or purchase from store?
- 18" Wheels instead of stock 20"?
- Painted dark grey or silver rims

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Buying at store versus online cant be determined until you check online then choose you favorite tire dealer to see if they can better than online. For me, I usually use tirebuyer.com or my local Goodyear dealer ( they sell a wide variety of brands including Michelin).

Use Tire Rack for reviews on tires. They have a great resource to determine what may be best for you. I have a Platinum with Hankook tires. Hate them. Next set will be either Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 or Micheline Premier LTX (V rated).

I disregard price point and choose the tire best suited for my goal of tread wear, speed rating, winter traction, wet traction, quietness and safety.

I think choosing between 18 and 20 for same tire depends on price point as 20” will most likely cost more. Be sure the tire diameter is similar to your OEM to keep speed accurate.

Rim finish would depend on your winter conditions......assuming your in a snow and salt area. if that is the case, I would consider an aluminum polished as after-market painted rime can be crappy or easily chip. Just keep your vehicle washed whenever possible. I have a wash pass at a local wash .....neoprene cleaning materials or laser wash which do not damage paint .....keeps the vehicle clean of salt and snow, if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
2019 Explorer Sport 4WD:
- Recommendations?

Thank you for reaching out and for giving us the opportunity to help you with a winter tire and wheel package, Lambeau. We tried to send you a PM but it looks like it's disabled on your end so we'll reply here :cool:

Recommendations?

There are a lot of solid winter tire models to choose from today. The Blizzak DMV2 is a solid choice that tends to work out well for many. Ultimately the right model for you will depend on the winter conditions you see most and the performance attributes you need the tires to deliver.

Less expensive to order from site or purchase from store?

I assume you are referring to Discount Tire Direct (mail order) and Discount Tire (brick and mortar). If so, pricing is typically in-line with each other so if you have a Discount Tire nearby my recommendation would be to go there. If for some reason DTD is a little cheaper, the store will be happy to match it.

18" Wheels instead of stock 20"?

Most consumers will drop down in size from O.E.M. when possible and mainly for cost savings purposes. Your Sport will fit 18-inch wheels without issue and if you wanted to, you could even move down to a 17-inch wheel.

Painted dark grey or silver rims

There is vast selection to choose from in these finishes with sizes ranging from 17-inch to 20-inch. If you haven't already, you can browse the wheel selection guaranteed to fit your application by entering your vehicle information on the website.

Search Wheels by Vehicle | Discount Tire

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Buying at store versus online cant be determined until you check online then choose you favorite tire dealer to see if they can better than online. For me, I usually use tirebuyer.com or my local Goodyear dealer ( they sell a wide variety of brands including Michelin).

Use Tire Rack for reviews on tires. They have a great resource to determine what may be best for you. I have a Platinum with Hankook tires. Hate them. Next set will be either Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 or Micheline Premier LTX (V rated).

I disregard price point and choose the tire best suited for my goal of tread wear, speed rating, winter traction, wet traction, quietness and safety.

I think choosing between 18 and 20 for same tire depends on price point as 20” will most likely cost more. Be sure the tire diameter is similar to your OEM to keep speed accurate.

Rim finish would depend on your winter conditions......assuming your in a snow and salt area. if that is the case, I would consider an aluminum polished as after-market painted rime can be crappy or easily chip. Just keep your vehicle washed whenever possible. I have a wash pass at a local wash .....neoprene cleaning materials or laser wash which do not damage paint .....keeps the vehicle clean of salt and snow, if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input. From what I understand, it's better to go with a smaller wheel/thicker sidewall for a winter tire. Less expensive, more pothole protection.

Why don't you like the Hankooks?

Thank you for reaching out and for giving us the opportunity to help you with a winter tire and wheel package, Lambeau. We tried to send you a PM but it looks like it's disabled on your end so we'll reply here :cool:

Recommendations?

There are a lot of solid winter tire models to choose from today. The Blizzak DMV2 is a solid choice that tends to work out well for many. Ultimately the right model for you will depend on the winter conditions you see most and the performance attributes you need the tires to deliver.

Less expensive to order from site or purchase from store?

I assume you are referring to Discount Tire Direct (mail order) and Discount Tire (brick and mortar). If so, pricing is typically in-line with each other so if you have a Discount Tire nearby my recommendation would be to go there. If for some reason DTD is a little cheaper, the store will be happy to match it.

18" Wheels instead of stock 20"?

Most consumers will drop down in size from O.E.M. when possible and mainly for cost savings purposes. Your Sport will fit 18-inch wheels without issue and if you wanted to, you could even move down to a 17-inch wheel.

Painted dark grey or silver rims

There is vast selection to choose from in these finishes with sizes ranging from 17-inch to 20-inch. If you haven't already, you can browse the wheel selection guaranteed to fit your application by entering your vehicle information on the website.

Search Wheels by Vehicle | Discount Tire

Thanks for your response. Suprised I could go down to a 17" rim...

I called DTD and the local brick/mortar store. I'll probably go to the local store to see the rims in person before I buy (if they're on display). Pretty much decided on Blizzaks.

Can I use the OEM lugs with any of the wheels?

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Thanks for your input. From what I understand, it's better to go with a smaller wheel/thicker sidewall for a winter tire. Less expensive, more pothole protection.

I called DTD and the local brick/mortar store. I'll probably go to the local store to see the rims in person before I buy (if they're on display). Pretty much decided on Blizzaks.

Your are correct pertaining to a winter tire if your expecting snow. Sounds like you are looking for set of beater rims and tires to get you through a crappy, snowy and salty winter

The Hankooks seem to get very noisy and wear very quickly. There is a noticeable different after 5000 miles and many owners seem to be unhappy with them.

A 17” rim may look tiny??

Blizzaks are good if your expecting lots of ice or snow, however they seem to be really spongy on dry pavement and not driver confident at higher speeds.

OENlugs should work on most tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Glad to hear you contacted your local Discount Tire store. I'm confident they will take good care of you.

Regarding lugs, when purchasing new wheels you will need new spline drive lug nuts to fit the smaller diameter holes.

Thank you for your support.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
2019 Explorer Sport 4WD:
- Recommendations?

Why not look at eBay for a set of OEM 18" take-offs?
Like these for example & go with the OE size 245/60R18 snow/ice/studdable tire?

18" Ford Explorer FACTORY WHEELS RIIMS SET 4 TAKE OFFS | eBay

This set comes out to $150 apiece w/ free shipping... same if not LESS than an aftermarket set... plus these would be easy to wash & clean in the cold.

Users who are viewing this thread