Wireless Network Help

Revolator

Outlaw Star
Established Member
Ok So I have a Dell laptop that I've had for years and years and never really had a problem until it started giving me crap the past year. Instead of repairing an old computer I got a new one for christmas.

It's a Samsung Q430-JU01 Notebook. Features Windows 7, Intel core i5 processor, LED display, etc.

My old Dell had Windows Vista, and an AMD Turion 64 X2 Processor.

The speed on my old laptop is far greater versus my new one regarding internet speed. For example, it takes almost no time for videos to load on my Dell, but can take up to 10 mins for a 3-4 min video on my Samsung. Webpages seem to load fairly fast but can sometimes not load everything leaving out certain pictures forcing me to constantly reload them.

My connection is full bars with 65.0mbps and my ISP is Comcast if anybody is familiar with them. I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers but I can't seem to figure out what's going on :??:.

I thought maybe since it's a new computer I'd have to break it in a bit but I just don't know. I tried googling this but nothing I could really find to help me. Most people suggested there's adware, malware, and spyware slowing the computer down but its brand new and I've got a few security systems on it. So any help from you computer/networking guru's here on SVTP is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'm no computer nerd, but I'm throwing this out there for someone who better understands this. You're older computer(dell) and router more likely have a wireless G setup. Your newer computer(samsung) should be capable with wireless N and might currently be setup for it. It should be able to be switched to wireless G, but if it's setup for N, that could be why it's working slow?

Like I said, I'm no nerd but this is the only thing that I can think of. If I'm way off track, then forget anything I said:D

Revolator

Outlaw Star
Established Member
Please post your chipset.
I have a feeling your drivers or setup is what the problem is.
Here: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
check your net speed. It should tell you if it's your provider or your PC.
Jeff

Not sure what a chipset is but I ran the test and these are my results:

I'm no computer nerd, but I'm throwing this out there for someone who better understands this. You're older computer(dell) and router more likely have a wireless G setup. Your newer computer(samsung) should be capable with wireless N and might currently be setup for it. It should be able to be switched to wireless G, but if it's setup for N, that could be why it's working slow?

Like I said, I'm no nerd but this is the only thing that I can think of. If I'm way off track, then forget anything I said:D

I understand what you're saying but I don't see a way to configure it to "wireless G". As far as I can tell its on the same network as my Dell. In theory that makes sense to switch it to another configuration

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Damn, and I thought I had a slow Internet Connection. Something is not right there.

First off, I think I would completely power off your cable modem, router, and laptop and reboot all of them to see if you get a better speed test.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
DAMN! Your upload speed is 4x better than your D/L. That's pathetic. Something is definitely not right. Just out of curiosity what happens when you run that same Speedtest on the old Dell?

If the "reboot" of all the hardware doesn't clear up the issue you may need to look at your network drivers on the new laptop. Even if it is "N" capable it should have no problem negotiating at "G" speeds because the protocol is backwards compatible. I think maybe your network drivers need to be updated.

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok So I have a Dell laptop that I've had for years and years and never really had a problem until it started giving me crap the past year. Instead of repairing an old computer I got a new one for christmas.

It's a Samsung Q430-JU01 Notebook. Features Windows 7, Intel core i5 processor, LED display, etc.

My old Dell had Windows Vista, and an AMD Turion 64 X2 Processor.

The speed on my old laptop is far greater versus my new one regarding internet speed. For example, it takes almost no time for videos to load on my Dell, but can take up to 10 mins for a 3-4 min video on my Samsung. Webpages seem to load fairly fast but can sometimes not load everything leaving out certain pictures forcing me to constantly reload them.

My connection is full bars with 65.0mbps and my ISP is Comcast if anybody is familiar with them. I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers but I can't seem to figure out what's going on :??:.

I thought maybe since it's a new computer I'd have to break it in a bit but I just don't know. I tried googling this but nothing I could really find to help me. Most people suggested there's adware, malware, and spyware slowing the computer down but its brand new and I've got a few security systems on it. So any help from you computer/networking guru's here on SVTP is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)
What security software do you have? Some are notorious for slowing down an otherwise fast computer.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member

I understand what you're saying but I don't see a way to configure it to "wireless G". As far as I can tell its on the same network as my Dell. In theory that makes sense to switch it to another configuration

That's pitiful.
Usually you have to type in 192.168.1 into your browser.
That's where the set up configuration is located.
It may be your service provider. Then again you said your last set up worked great.
If that doesn't work, reset your gateway or whatever you use to factory default. You will have to reconfigure your Passwd to whatever you wish to do. Default password is usually, "admin." User name is left blank.
Disable all protection you have to eliminate it from your trouble shooting.

Jeff

Last edited:
That's pitiful.
Usually you have to type in 192.168.1 into your browser.
That's where the set up configuration is located.
It may be your service provider. Then again you said your last set up worked great.
If that doesn't work, reset your gateway or whatever you use to factory default. You will have to reconfigure your Passwd to whatever you wish to do. Default password is usually, "admin." User name is left blank.
Disable all protection you have to eliminate it from your trouble shooting.

Jeff

someone is probably stealing your internet

rust0r

Established Member
Common misconception is that Wireless N will yield you GREATER internet speeds than Wireless G. Wireless N has greater range, etc. However unless you have a business line, or internet line speed >50MBPS, you will never notice a "speed" increase.

If you have a home network and transfer files back and forth via the network from one pc to another, or home theater, that is where the benefit will come in.

By and large, it is a gimmick to get people to fork over the large $$.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Common misconception is that Wireless N will yield you GREATER internet speeds than Wireless G. Wireless N has greater range, etc. However unless you have a business line, or internet line speed >50MBPS, you will never notice a "speed" increase.

If you have a home network and transfer files back and forth via the network from one pc to another, or home theater, that is where the benefit will come in.

By and large, it is a gimmick to get people to fork over the large $$.

Exactly I have 40 meg per second DSL with fiber optic connection. 40 is theoretical and you will never see it. 3x maybe when the planets are all aligned properly.
Jeff

Revolator

Outlaw Star
Established Member
DAMN! Your upload speed is 4x better than your D/L. That's pathetic. Something is definitely not right. Just out of curiosity what happens when you run that same Speedtest on the old Dell?

If the "reboot" of all the hardware doesn't clear up the issue you may need to look at your network drivers on the new laptop. Even if it is "N" capable it should have no problem negotiating at "G" speeds because the protocol is backwards compatible. I think maybe your network drivers need to be updated.

U.M.

Did the same speed test on my Dell:

What security software do you have? Some are notorious for slowing down an otherwise fast computer.

It came with McAffe and I installed Norton on it after. I disabled McAffe and only runs Norton right now.

Plug the new computer directly into the router and see if you get the same speed test results. If you do, then it's not a wireless issue but something else.

JD

Yep did that and nothing. So I'm convinced this is more of a network setup issue rather than not getting a decent signal. There are 2 other computers as well as 2 PS3's connected to my router so there shouldn't be a draw or shortage of any sort. I'll have to try and reconfigure, maybe get some newly updated drivers as somebody posted before

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Did the same speed test on my Dell:

It came with McAffe and I installed Norton on it after. I disabled McAffe and only runs Norton right now.

Yep did that and nothing. So I'm convinced this is more of a network setup issue rather than not getting a decent signal. There are 2 other computers as well as 2 PS3's connected to my router so there shouldn't be a draw or shortage of any sort. I'll have to try and reconfigure, maybe get some newly updated drivers as somebody posted before

Stupid McAfee uses a huge footprint and should be tossed in the garbage. It is also a huge resource hog.
Like I posted check your setup.

AVG Free | Download Free Antivirus | Free Antivirus Software

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
+1 Dump BOTH McAfee and Norton, they are both resource hogs. You don't want more than 1 Virus Protection in your computer at a time. Go AVG.

Indeed.
Viruses are not the big problem today. Much more maleware and bots.
That's why AVG has a suite. You no longer have to download other layers of protection. In fact they will conflict if you go overboard.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread