Won't go in gear

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
My 04 T56 won't go in gear. Drove fine last night, parked the car, today, won't go in gear. I've played with the clutch cable adjustment and no matter if you back it off or bring it in, with the car running, it won't go in gear. Turn the car off, goes in gear.

I put a new clutch cable in last week as the one I had bound up, possible a symptom of my issue now.

Any ideas? Much appreciated.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
The cable feels fine. When you take the nuts off the cable, it moves freely both in and out. I'm feeling very confident it isn't the cable.

I have an MGW shifter. Have had one for 80,000 miles and that isn't the issue I'm sure.

When the previous cable went, it was difficult to put into and get out of gear. Ended up with a 90' bend in the cable and replaced it. No issues with this new cable and it felt just fine.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
The cable feels fine. When you take the nuts off the cable, it moves freely both in and out. I'm feeling very confident it isn't the cable.

I have an MGW shifter. Have had one for 80,000 miles and that isn't the issue I'm sure.

When the previous cable went, it was difficult to put into and get out of gear. Ended up with a 90' bend in the cable and replaced it. No issues with this new cable and it felt just fine.

If you have left the shift stops in the MGW, take them out. They are detrimental to your transmission. Tremec T-56's (the tranny in your cobra) have internal stops. using the one's provided by MGW are a no-no. It can damage your transmission. but 80,000 miles with it in and no probs, you are probably right that it isn't the issue.

How many miles on the clutch?

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Ya, MGW tells you about the stops and I never used them. 80,000 miles on the shifter and tranny, no issues til now.

Clutch has about 15K on it. Spec Stg 2.

d-nice

Established Member
Could be a bent fork possibly. Does it go into any gear at all other than 1st with the car running?

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
It doesn't go into any gear while the car is running. I don't think it's the fork as it appears to be in the same location and the tension on the clutch cable hasn't changed.

d-nice

Established Member
Can you hear the clutch move when when pressing the pedal down when the car is off? And did you take a look to see if the cable is attached to the fork at the tranny? I was just thinking that the cable may be broken somewhere along the way to the trans or disconnected at the fork.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
No noises to be heard. I'm certain it isn't the cable. I've disconnected it from the fork and it slides back and forth without any issues. I'm thinking it must be something internal.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Talking to a local guy and he thinks it might be something with the clutch. I'll find out more on Friday and will post.

Users who are viewing this thread