won't go into 1st gear sometimes, need help

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
Ok, I finally think I am on the right track as far as getting my clutch adjusted correctly. Drove it today and shifts fairly good, the best it has been so far. My question is if I am at a stop and try and put it on gear from neautral it sometimes takes a couple trys and some effort, again sometimes not all the time. 2nd is the same way if I try it, not like I am going to leave in second gear but was just doing it to see if any other gears were hard. Is this normal?? It almost feels like it is out of sync!! I know they are notchy and thats where I may have been having trouble before because I was trying to get rid of all the notchiness and wasn't ever happening. Am I adjusted to tight or to loose or it something else??
My next concern is I am having this "whine" only after I shift and give it some gas. This wasn't there before so what could it be?? Could it be a bad TOB or it that a different kind of sound?
Thanks for all the help so far but am still trying to figure this thing out and you all are my only hope!!

divided

Established Member
Any modes top the car? Aftermarket shifter? Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out the 4 bolts that hold the shifter to the tranny were all LOOSE. Also at the same time though i put in a clutch quadrant and firewall adjusater. So one one of those twop things fixed me issue. Does it do it after the car is warmed up or only when cold? Mine is always way notchy, unitl the car warms up.

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
I have a MGW shifter. I have been fighting an endless battle trying to adjust my FW adjuster so the clutch is good. I finally got it to where it is halfway decent but not perfect. Now its hard to get in gear sometimes. I'm thinking I may have it to loose or too tight but don't know which way I need to go.
Being notchy, does that mean that it is somewhat hard to get it gear with a slight grind???

divided

Established Member
yes. somewhat hard to get into gear and grinding slightly=notchy.

If you lay on your side and press your clucth pedal in with your hand , you should have ~1 inch of "play" before it grabs. Have you checked this?

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
I have some play at the bottom and at the top. I don't know if its an inch or not, maybe a little more. I have it set in the vicinity of where it needs to be I believe but like I was saying first is kinda hard to put into sometimes after coming from N. I think this whole time while adjusting this I was always trying to get rid of the notchiness because I never really knew what it was, well I did in a way but didn't if that makes any sense.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
hmm talking about the shifter bolts reminded me that i have a gasket on my tri ax in my gt ( which is like butter fresh out the microwave and can powershift great ) but i have no gasket on the tri ax in the cobra and sometimes its smooth but sometimes it doesnt want to move..i put some rp synchromesh in and it helped but its not gone. could be my whiny tob and stock quad and adjuster too

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
When it is cold it is alot worse than if it has warmed up a bit by driving. I am thinking I may try and go 1 click out and see what that does.

Chris@BAP

Established Member
I have the same problem... I got it fixed by replacing the TOB guide tube and the TOB. May be a good time to do the clutch.

AllanB

Established Member
Sounds alot like the normal t-56 first gear clunk. i just double pop the clutch when i sitting at a light, goes right into gear then

Users who are viewing this thread