Worth the change for 3.55 to 3.73

SVT99RED

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has done this and thought it was worth it? I was going to do the true trac so I thought I would change the 3.55's to 3.73's but wanted to know if it was worth the extra $$$ to do so? Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!:beer:

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
i love the "kick" that i get with the 3.73's. a few questions that i would ask are:

1) do you take it to the track. i would figure you do since you have a 2.6 KB, but you never know

2) when at the track, when rpm are you crossing the 1/4 at? if you are crossing the 1/4 "lower" in the rpm range then you can go with the 3.73's without worrying about "running out of gear"

personally, i love the 3.73's. mind you i have had them from stock, but i have driven many 99/00's with 3.55's. it always feels like it is missing a little something from the get-go.

Skoalman

Banned
My truck is an '04 BUT, i believe it has 3.73's in it from the factory.
I use it as a work truck so it gets driven an average of 62 miles per day, (busy highway and city streets).

Now when i'm driving around on the highways it always seems to really kind of 'lug down' when in overdrive, it's really noticeable anywhere under two thousand rpm, I think my loud exhaust note makes it noticeable (especially when next to those construction barriers). I've REALLY been thinking about going to 4.10's and getting a FTVB to get thing more, 'crispy'.

Hopefully this opinion helps you (in some way), when making your gearing choice.

DetroitDice

Established Member
I put the 3.73 in my 00, and im verry happy with the swap, the only reason I did it was to compensate the slight torque loss from my exhaust setup.

Skoalman

Banned
SVT99RED said:
Just wondering if anyone has done this and thought it was worth it? I was going to do the true trac so I thought I would change the 3.55's to 3.73's but wanted to know if it was worth the extra $$$ to do so? Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!:beer:

Any closer to the gear change?
If so, what did you decide on?

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
It is not that pricey to have it done. Gears are still the best bang for the buck mod imo.

SVT99RED

Established Member
yeah I am still waiting on the gear to get here. I got a great deal on 3.73's. So I think I will put them in. I just dont want to run out of gear at the end of the 1/4 mile.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Do it.

I have 3:73's, "I'm Blown" is running 3:53's.

I tear him up outta the hole. (of course his nitrous kicks in and I'm looking at his license plate at the big end.)

but other than the nitrous and his LT headers, were mod for mod equal. O he does have a 6# lower and I'm running a 5# lower.

But you can see the difference in this video. my truck is the closer of the two in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyyXSfvR3lU
Another angle of the run, but closer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hk4G0kvTZA

Users who are viewing this thread