Worth upgrading to the S550 from a S197?

Landmonster

Established Member
Hi guys,

Honest question here.

I currently own a 2014 Mustang GT MT-82 (base model), and I finally am at the point where I can start modding it. However, I'm torn wondering if the mod money wouldn't be better spent towards the newer S550 platform to start with.

In your educated opinion... is it worth upgrading from the S197 5.0 to a 2015+ SS50? Why or why not?

I've been scouring the internet for clarification on what exactly has improved in the 2015 cars, but it's difficult to find specifics... other than the
S550 having:
-Forged connecting rods, and revised valves/heads (leading to 15 more HP?)
-IRS (Is this actually a "good" IRS system, comparable to a Corvette or Euro car?)
-Revised chassis (Is it actually superior to the S197 chassis in some way? ... or just different)
-Styling (personal preference)
-Better interior (probably better for me)

1. From a racing/modding perspective, is the S550 platform substantially better or more desirable than the S197?
  2. If so, can anyone elaborate the most important differences from a racing/modding perspective? (Which may or may not be well-known)

I apologize if this has been asked before, I'm just trying to gain some clarification from people who might have owned and modded both platforms

I'm more curious about the potential of these cars once they are modded... rather than comparing and contrasting them in stock-trim. (Most of the magazines just compare stock 14s vs 15s)

Landmonster

Established Member
For information sake:

It looks like I would be able to sell my '14 car for $20,000-22,000, and buy a 15+ basic S550 for around $24,000-26,000. (Thus, it might cost me around $5,000 to upgrade, but I would be gaining a slightly newer car with fewer miles as well)

Bonus question... is the Performance Package a necessary upgrade on the S550 if I plan on modifying the car further?

sono

Established Member
If it's a money issue I think the flip will cost double that when things are said and done. Also I'd wait and buy a newer version.

Reaper14

Established Member
In my opinion & if I hadn't already spent as much money I have on my 14, I believe it is worth changing up. I want to go turbo & will end up with about 650 risking my block. So I'll have to beef up to get to my target goal of 800hp. From what I seen on the new s550 you could do the same, but you'll safely get there just by boosting & supporting mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Join the darkside, we have IRS...

PNG-0 (8).png
PNG-0 (2).png

Attachments

• PNG-0 (6).png
    PNG-0 (6).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 708

Famine

Established Member
For me, I prefer the looks of the s197 by a lot, so I will keep it and not base my decision simply on the other factors. I do plan to add a 2015 longblock to my supercharger setup and add a watts link. That way I have the best of both worlds. I do like the seats on the 15 though, but hey.... when I'm walking away from the car and I look back and see mine, I couldn't be happier.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Get the 18. I built out an 18 base model 5.0 with magna ride, performance exhaust, performance pack, enhanced security, and the 301A package which includes the touchscreen radio, 9 speaker sound system, and the mycolor for 45k. Saw where a guy on youtune already ordered his and the dealer gave him 3k off already. So theres room to move on them. If I hadnt supercharged mine already, I would be getting an 18 just because of what is included in the base model now

Recon

Established Member
Second gen coyote is stronger than the first. Basically has Boss internals, along with more aggressive cams. Pretty much Cobra Jet cams, same lift less duration or vice versa. Better heads but an argument can be made that at some point in the 2014 MY (later) they got the S550 heads.
BUT! The 2018 model year will be another leap to the 15 like the 15+ is to the 14 and back.

Famine

Established Member
Second gen coyote is stronger than the first. Basically has Boss internals, along with more aggressive cams. Pretty much Cobra Jet cams, same lift less duration or vice versa. Better heads but an argument can be made that at some point in the 2014 MY (later) they got the S550 heads.
BUT! The 2018 model year will be another leap to the 15 like the 15+ is to the 14 and back.

Pistons arent boss internals, nor the hardware. Not a fan of direct injection either for that matter.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I dont know much abot direct injection, what do you dislike about it? I figure it will hold up tuning for the new motor as it will take time to figure out
The downsides to DI are dirty valves, more noise and you run out of fuel if you are going big power.

But the new coyote his direct and port injection, which will keep the valves clean. If you decide to go big power you shouldn't have much issue keeping up with fueling as it was already designed with port injection in mind.

I had a 2012 GT and I would definitely upgrade if I were in your shoes.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Also, FWIW.. I switched from a 2014 GT500 to this after just one test drive. I can create massive HP with anything. But to replicate the quality of ride is something much harder to do. Even at almost the same weight, this car feels immensely more nimble than the GT500. I like a track with turns, and this car is just more dominant in every way, except top end on the straights.

This is my current S550 setup that I have screaming to 7,600 RPM. I'll push it further once I swap OPG's.

DT.jpg

Landmonster

Established Member
Hissman,

Have you ever driven a Corvette?

Like you, I feel like the S197 doesn't handle very well. I do feel like I could make plenty of horsepower with it (like almost anything), but I still want a good driving experience. My chief complaints with the S197 would be...
  1. poor handling
  2. Live rear axle
  3. poor braking

If I spend the money to correct all (or most) of that... it begs the question: Should I have just started with a different car?

I suppose if all I wanted was a pure dragstrip car, then the S197 would be ideal.

I am leaning towards either a C6 Corvette, or a S550 M6 mustang.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Corvette is a different animal. They are low, stiff and very well planted. It doesn't take a whole lot to make a C5-C7 Vette really handle like a race car. I'm just not a vette guy. I have thought about buying one on several occasions, but I just don't feel comfortable in one. I've had a lot of different "fun" cars, and I keep coming back to the Mustang. It just fits my personality. I have the PP with the 6 piston Brembo brakes, that are phenomenal for an OE system. Changing the pads and fluid made them comparable to some of the best brakes I've ever used. The IRS is so much better than what was in my 04 cobra, and the car literally handles like it is on rails with the Steeda UL Linear springs I installed. I went with linear because they are very predictable, vs a progressive.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Also, FWIW.. I switched from a 2014 GT500 to this after just one test drive. I can create massive HP with anything. But to replicate the quality of ride is something much harder to do. Even at almost the same weight, this car feels immensely more nimble than the GT500. I like a track with turns, and this car is just more dominant in every way, except top end on the straights.

This is my current S550 setup that I have screaming to 7,600 RPM. I'll push it further once I swap OPG's.

View attachment 109218

You can go to 7900 no prob on a well tuned NA car without issue.

As far as trading to a n S550, it's up to you. If you like the looks and want to push it powerwise, s550 will go further. I'd say trade up to a premium vs a base. Run the numbers and see if it makes sense for you. For the love of god don't sign up for a contract that involves you paying interest.

Landmonster

Established Member
Right now, I have a base 2014 GT. So ... I didn't think it mattered much when I originally bought the car, but now I'm kind of wishing I'd bought the Brembo car instead.

I'm really disappointed with the 18x8" wheels on my car, the squishy brakes, and the sub-par handling. I'm guessing that the Brembo car would have addressed most of those things. If you add up all the costs to replace those components with aftermarket stuff, it quickly becomes easily several thousand dollars.

So if I were to get a S550.... it looks like the base GT is improved quite a bit over the S197 base GT, with larger brakes than the S197s, and it also includes IRS.

Is the base S550 GT as good or better than the S197 Brembo car? Or is it still worth getting the Performance pack on the S550 for the even better brakes and suspension parts?

Landmonster

Established Member
Corvette is a different animal. They are low, stiff and very well planted. It doesn't take a whole lot to make a C5-C7 Vette really handle like a race car. I'm just not a vette guy. I have thought about buying one on several occasions, but I just don't feel comfortable in one.

If you agree they handle like a race car, can you explain why this wouldn't be a better choice?

Used C6 Vettes with low mileage are selling for around what a base S550 Mustang GT would cost.

Users who are viewing this thread