Worth upgrading to the S550 from a S197?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I didn't say it wouldn't be a better choice. I just said that I am more of a mustang guy.

thehunterooo

Established Member
The interior and IRS are pretty big upgrades. I traded in my 2014 Stang when I ordered my 2015 though it was a V6 and I wanted the 5.0 more than anything. I would not have traded in so soon if I already had the 5.0. I guess it really depends on if you think it is worth it. The PP is a good buy though you can get by without it if you mod a lot of that stuff gets swapped out over time though the brakes and some other bits already make it worthwhile, I would have gotten the PP if they had it with the non 50 year auto cars.

Otherwise though hard choice......

calebdnehus

Established Member
Right now, I have a base 2014 GT. So ... I didn't think it mattered much when I originally bought the car, but now I'm kind of wishing I'd bought the Brembo car instead.

I'm really disappointed with the 18x8" wheels on my car, the squishy brakes, and the sub-par handling. I'm guessing that the Brembo car would have addressed most of those things. If you add up all the costs to replace those components with aftermarket stuff, it quickly becomes easily several thousand dollars.

So if I were to get a S550.... it looks like the base GT is improved quite a bit over the S197 base GT, with larger brakes than the S197s, and it also includes IRS.

Is the base S550 GT as good or better than the S197 Brembo car? Or is it still worth getting the Performance pack on the S550 for the even better brakes and suspension parts?

A base PP S550 would take care of all your complaints with your S197 as long as you dont need leather, a fancy sound system, and a big screen radio (all of which can be added later). I have a base PP that I put a vmp blower on with money I saved by not going premium and I could care less about cooled seats that really dont work all that well. Had a 16 premium auto and it was great but my 17 base PP I like better. Premium is a gimmicky car, some stuff is good in it but most of it just techy stuff you dont really need. Plus you can make your own if you wanted to later

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I ended up going with a PP/Premium/w Recaro seats. The difference between the PP/Base and PP/Premium was $38.00 a month. It is worth that $38 per month.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
All depends on your goals. if you are going to add any form of boost, you must upgrade to the s550. The superior bottom end is more than worth the price of entry on its own IMO.

A brand new 2017 a6 base 5.0 will be CHEAP AS HELL in a month or two and be a damn good candidate for boost.

Buy car, add $7000 in your preferred forced induction, go run 9s.

Done.

calebdnehus

Established Member
I ended up going with a PP/Premium/w Recaro seats. The difference between the PP/Base and PP/Premium was $38.00 a month. It is worth that $38 per month.

I was looking at it in sticker price. I think premium was close to $3,000 - $4,000 more than what the base was. I would have loved to have recaros in mine but I didnt want to pay for them. Cheaper my payment was the faster I was able to move on the blower so that was my train of though. I also figured less options = less weight. Race car goals. lol

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I owned a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca and I have to say the 2015 Mustang GT I own is a superior car all-around. I'd get the 2015+ GT.

wjfawb0

Established Member
I shopped for 2013 and 2014 mustangs, and my wife sat in a 2016 at a dealer while we were waiting. She said get a 2015+ just for the interior upgrades. I didn't argue and got my 2015 base GT. It's very easy to drive.

5.0jake

Established Member
Hi guys,

Honest question here.

I currently own a 2014 Mustang GT MT-82 (base model), and I finally am at the point where I can start modding it. However, I'm torn wondering if the mod money wouldn't be better spent towards the newer S550 platform to start with.

In your educated opinion... is it worth upgrading from the S197 5.0 to a 2015+ SS50? Why or why not?

I'm more curious about the potential of these cars once they are modded... rather than comparing and contrasting them in stock-trim. (Most of the magazines just compare stock 14s vs 15s)

It depends...

I'd say keep the 14'. I traded my 14GT for a 15 GT and ended up missing my 14'. The 14' was more comfortable to drive, felt more raw and quick than my 15' did. The base 15' handles like crap with the 18" all seasons even and seemingly worse than my base 14 gt even.
The 15-17 is more stout with a higher power ceiling if your're planning on heavily modding; however, the 2014 can reliably handle plenty of power for most.
The S550 worth upgrading to, to me would be the 2018 GT, especially with the new 10 speed auto. The 15-17 not so much(from a financial standpoint) unless you were starting fresh and didn't already own the 14.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Shelling out $45k-$50k for a nicely optioned mustang though is a bit high. Might as well get a base corvette at $53k, that was my thought anyway. Ford always had a leg up on the Camaro for that reason, when similarly option the mustang was a few grand cheaper anywhere from 2-5 around my area. Camaros didnt seem to get any rebates around here. An 18 optioned the same as my 17 is $7k more than what I paid for my 17. $7k will almost get you a TVS. Its all about money though, whoever has the most will always be the fastest right? lol

Cain96

Established Member
For the people that chose the 2015 and newer as their answer, would your answer change if you were going to built a fully built motor in your 2013-14? If the plan was to do that no matter what, would the 15 and above still win out in your opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread