WOT BOX, who has them, who likes them?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Thinking about getting a Wide Open Throttle box. For those of you that dont know what they are, they allow u to shift at a certain rpm, without lifting ur foot off the accelerator. I havent seen one in use on a car though. Im very familiar with them on motorcycles, but not cars.

so to those of u that have them, do u like them? are they worth the money? how hard is it to shift in the window where the motor is killed? how long is the ignition killed for? what are the downsides to having one? is this rough on your transmission?

im trying to cut some time at the track. shifting isnt happening quickly because im babying (except for the launch) the t56. i dont power shift, and i use the clutch every time. if these work as well as they do for motorcycles, everybody should have one.

MVD

Established Member
.....shift....without lifting ur foot off the accelerator.

That would be called powershifting.

im trying to cut some time at the track. shifting isnt happening quickly because im babying (except for the launch) the t56. i dont power shift, and i use the clutch every time. if these work as well as they do for motorcycles, everybody should have one.

You do realize that you can powershift (very effectively) without a WOT box right? And even with a WOT box, you do still have to use the clutch. It is equally as hard on the trans with or without the WOT box.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
That would be called powershifting.

You do realize that you can powershift (very effectively) without a WOT box right? And even with a WOT box, you do still have to use the clutch. It is equally as hard on the trans with or without the WOT box.

some ppl define powershifting differently.

are u sure u have to use the clutch with the box? like i said im not sure how they work in cars, but i know on a bike, it kills the ignition for a split second so u can shift without letting out of the gas, or using the clutch.

MVD

Established Member
some ppl define powershifting differently.

are u sure u have to use the clutch with the box? like i said im not sure how they work in cars, but i know on a bike, it kills the ignition for a split second so u can shift without letting out of the gas, or using the clutch.

Powershifting has only 1 definition, rowing gears while keeping the right foot firmly planted on the gas pedal.

Yes I am sure. The WOT box is activated via the clutch switch, so the only way for it to work is for you to use the clutch pedal.

Fat-cat

Established Member
The wot box works off the clutch switch/ RPM & TPS to determine what mode or setting you are trying to activate. I love mine. the WOt shift feature seems to help if you suck at power shifting. After about a week i turned that feature off.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The wot box works off the clutch switch/ RPM & TPS to determine what mode or setting you are trying to activate. I love mine. the WOt shift feature seems to help if you suck at power shifting. After about a week i turned that feature off.

So what is the point of it?

MVD

Established Member
are u saying that there is no gains with this device other than the 2 step?

Correct, and to be honest it will slow you down from a "standard" powershift because of the engine limiter when you engage the clutch pedal. If you can powershift your car properly there is no need for the WOT box unless you want the 2 step feature.

That box is to help people with their powershift handicap from not having a properly setup clutch/cable/shifter.

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Correct, and to be honest it will slow you down from a "standard" powershift because of the engine limiter when you engage the clutch pedal. If you can powershift your car properly there is no need for the WOT box unless you want the 2 step feature.

That box is to help people with their powershift handicap from not having a properly setup clutch/cable/shifter.

<----has never power shifted a car. i thought power shifting was where u let off the gas at high rpm and put it in the next gear without using the clutch :shrug: much like we do with motorcycles. i had an old s10 that i could do this in.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
From what I've read you don't really "use" the clutch, you just just tap it about a half inch and some sensor notices this and cuts the ignition. You can adjust how long the ignition goes off. There is a video of a 03 cobra with one and a in car camera on youtube. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj_I9FhUHNY"]YouTube - N2MB WOT Box Testing[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
so do you have to put the clutch the whole way in or no? Im thinking yes...in which case that box is useless.

MVD

Established Member
<----has never power shifted a car. i thought power shifting was where u let off the gas at high rpm and put it in the next gear without using the clutch

No, powershifting is keeping your right foot to the floor and just stabbing the clutch enough to row the next gear. You never let off the gas, so you obviously have to be FAST on the shifts because the car is free revving when you are in neutral (clutch pedal down).

is this 2 step better than the one that is the sct handheld?

Yes, SCT cuts fuel, WOT box cuts ignition. Ignition cut is the way a 2 step should be operated.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Do you know this 100% or are you guessing? I'm asking for a 100% sure answer.

I'm not guessing, I posted what I read when I was finding out the specifics months ago. The only one who seems to be doing any guessing in here is you, like guessing the clutch has to be fully depressed. It works off the clutch up switch, so the moment the clutch isn't up (which requires just a tap) you'll set in motion the ignition cut for a shift.

Teej281

Established Member
Well in that video you posted, the guy clearly depresses the clutch the whole way. So you saying one thing, and posting a video that suggests otherwise, leaves me wondering. And I already know what you think is right. I want to hear what other people have to say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread