would a hi-po 2-seater Ford have a negative impact on the Mustang?

Should Ford add a hi-po 2-seater to the roster?

• Ford should produce a hi-po 2-seater sports car in addition to the Mustang

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • Ford should just keep the Mustang as their only hi-po car

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters

reason4treason

Established Member
Is it finally time for Ford to produce a hi-po 2-seater sports car again? Or would you prefer that Ford just continue to use the Mustang indefinitely as a platform on which to base creations that can be all things to all people? ...keeping in mind that pony cars, by the nature of their size and the need for a backseat area, just can't be trimmed to 2-seater parameters. And, keeping in mind that many Mustang loyalists are leery that devoting hefty resources to another performance Ford, would threaten their beloved war horse.

Once upon a time, there was the Thunderbird...the good one I mean. That ended right about 50 years ago. Even through the anything-goes 1960s, Ford never seemed very interested in developing a 2-seater sports car, except for the FGT which I believe was an odd result of an attempted combo with Ferrari gone wrong...depending on whose point of view you ask. The GT was supposedly revenge for rejection from Ferrari. Not creating a long-lived hi-po 2-seater seems odd considering that the Corvette has always had a sizeable following and GM was always Ford's prime rival. In a recent interview Hameedi spoke of how surprised he is that nobody will compete directly with the Raptor, and yet there's this very long history of Ford not competing directly with the Corvette.

Ford GT40, Ford GT70 and Ford GT: Fifty years of a legendary name | CNET TV | Video Product Reviews, CNET Podcasts, Tech Shows, Live CNET Video

Ford is currently preoccupied with the emerging global opportunities, for example sales to China and IMO that makes them all the more unlikely to take the risk of developing a car that would be so out of character in relation to the multiple decades of production since 1960. And yet it seems to me that they are leaving money on the table in the process.

If they can produce the FGT, certainly they can produce something with a couple of performance levels from a price range of for example $55,000 to $125,000 that would trounce the various Corvette iterations, as well as the Viper.

Should they?

Last edited:

Planeswalker

Established Member
I would love to see Ford produce a competitor for the Corvette, as it stands my next fun car will be a Corvette; once I see what the Z06 has to offer.

flS/R

Established Member
Right now, I would rather see Ford sell twice as many mustangs than try to make a 2-seater even though a 2-seater mustang or a pantera update could be cool.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Halo cars are a break even prospect at best, so until there is a business need for one I think you'll see the Mustang carrying the flag. Right or wrong.

trolls56

Established Member
I'd love to see them do something like the last Shelby Cobra concept or a new GT. Something that would start at zo6 level then go up to zr1 level. Skip the base level Corvette.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
why? Just build the mustang to be said car.

The Boss 302 with a big hp number and IRS would be that car. Look at the suspension stuff they did with it...rear seat delete on the LS cars, etc.

no reason to build a completely different car for what the mustang can be. mustang is a world household name.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
If they built another Ford GT (which they should) it would have no impact on the Mustang whatsoever.

Voltwings

Established Member
Me and my GM friends have had this conversation quite a few times, and i dont think Ford will for a few reasons.

1. There are WAY too many camaro and corvette models all dancing around the same price point / hp. They're all distinctly different in their own way and each "serves a purpose," but to your average Joe who just wants a mid life crisis car, theres really too many to choose. Chevy also has to be careful not to undermine the corvette with the camaro, but also has to make sure to keep the corvette far enough ahead as to not nuter the camaro.

2. With that being said, the Mustang IS Ford's flagship, they can do whatever they want with it, case and point being the '13 gt500. Chevy could never afford to release a 600+ hp camaro because of the vette. While we've yet to see a truely radical mustang in quite some time, i still feel like Ford has the advantage of being able to leave options open.

germeezy1

Established Member
The Ford GT program, and the PAG debacle has made Ford gun shy of high capital investment low return programs. Ford already has a halo car that is profitable with the Shelby GT500 so it does not make sense to move above that if anything it is Lincoln that should receive a halo car.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Not creating a long-lived hi-po 2-seater seems odd considering that the Corvette has always had a sizeable following and GM was always Ford's prime rival. In a recent interview Hameedi spoke of how surprised he is that nobody will compete directly with the Raptor, and yet there's this very long history of Ford not competing directly with the Corvette.

Ford GT40, Ford GT70 and Ford GT: Fifty years of a legendary name | CNET TV | Video Product Reviews, CNET Podcasts, Tech Shows, Live CNET Video

Ford is currently preoccupied with the emerging global opportunities, for example sales to China and IMO that makes them all the more unlikely to take the risk of developing a car that would be so out of character in relation to the multiple decades of production since 1960. And yet it seems to me that they are leaving money on the table in the process.

If they can produce the FGT, certainly they can produce something with a couple of performance levels from a price range of for example $55,000 to $125,000 that would trounce the various Corvette iterations, as well as the Viper.

Should they?

I asked Jamal this exact question not long ago. You could say he responded with "We concede that platform to Corvette." That's all Im sharing on the forum. I tip my hat to the timing of this thread though. It may have significance one day soon.:beer:

SSSnakeCharmer

I think ford should build an ultra high performance 2 seat sports or super car model that strays away from the classic mustang/pony car formula and goes in a new direction that competes with the Corvette, GTR, Porsche, and other high end models. Make it a true sports car or even a super car!

Ford could keep the current pony car setup for the regular Mustang and keep current trim levels and names like the V6, GT, Boss/GT350 and GT500 models and still add the exotic super car Mustang version to the lineup under the original 1962 Mustang concept name... The mustang I. The original 1962 concept was after all a 2 door 2 seat mid engine sports car roadster! Why limit the Mustang to being a pony car when it could be both a pony car and a world class beater while still holding on to both lines of its DNA. The Mustang could have limitless potential!

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I think ford should build an ultra high performance 2 seat sports or super car model that strays away from the classis mustang/pony car formula and goes in a new direction that competes with the Corvette, GTR, Porsche, and other high end models. Make it a true sports car or even a super car!

Ford could keep the current pony car setup for the regular Mustang and keep current trim levels and names like the V6, GT, Boss/GT350 and GT500 models and still add the exotic super car Mustang version to the lineup under the original 1962 Mustang concept name... The mustang I. The original 1962 concept was after all a 2 door 2 seat mid engine sports car roadster! Why limit the Mustang to being a pony car when it could be both a pony car and a world class beater while still holding on to both lines of its DNA. The Mustang could have limitless potential!

Posted via Topify on Android

$$ ... that's why.

Rebel302

Established Member
Something like the car that never was...the GT90....WOULD BE AWESOME!!!
tumblr_m6yrkutN6k1r2yioeo2_1280.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
Something like the car that never was...the GT90....WOULD BE AWESOME!!!
tumblr_m6yrkutN6k1r2yioeo2_1280.jpg

And only a couple of hundred will be sold. I don't think Ford needs to branch out in this direction as they have quite a number of performance variants that the company will actually make money on. This is just pouring money down the drain and is more of a publicity stunt. That's why they make Lambo's for anyone dumb enough to buy one :nonono:

americansteel

Banned
I asked Jamal this exact question not long ago. You could say he responded with "We concede that platform to Corvette." That's all Im sharing on the forum. I tip my hat to the timing of this thread though. It may have significance one day soon.:beer:
i have seen several people bring this topic up to Jamal in person! and several others asked about a new muscle car. the answer was ford has thought of adding a new muscle car to line up but that will likely not happen due to the mustang and ford not wanting mustang sales hurt by such car, that was weak yet it would happen!
Jamal's answer to the sports car questions were ford is thinking about that and the idea has come up multiple times. its a possibility that ford might make a sports car to compete with vettte and others yet like i said before make a base model for a lot of people to buy and a high model for those that wish to have all out exotic like car reactions and handling of the such. GM does well with the vette especially for so many years people have continued to buy that car. apparently GM is doing something right and there is no reason for ford not to have a 2 seater sports car. whether it be just a sports car or an exotic like the GT was. now i seen several comments about the T-bird, originally the T-ird was fords answer to the vette back in the 50's the little bird completely devastated vette in sales and in racing! ford just completely tore apart every thing GM had made for the vette. but sadly by early 60's ford grew the bird into a personal luxury car. look at the history line of little birds that car was bad ass back then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread