would a hi-po 2-seater Ford have a negative impact on the Mustang?

Should Ford add a hi-po 2-seater to the roster?

• Ford should produce a hi-po 2-seater sports car in addition to the Mustang

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • Ford should just keep the Mustang as their only hi-po car

Votes: 14 14.6%

• Total voters

darreng505

Established Member
Tell that to GM about their vette program. im not saying ford make a 100K car but instead something around the 50-60K mark or so. ford would sell them. was there a market for the raptor? NO yet ford saw a chance and grabbed it. any car ford makes they will sell it.

Agree. Sometimes you make the market. Ford needs to be "bold" to succeed. Playing it safe with "a car everyone in the world can like" is not it. Their simple rationale with the new mustang is a worldwide car. With configurations everyone on the planet can find something they like in it. It's a gamble for sure. For me, a 4 banger turbo mustang doesn't appeal to me. I'd sooner get a Focus/Fiesta ST with a 4cyl turbo than a Mustang with one.

But not competing head to head with GM, SRT etc on the higher end cars.... there's just no excuse for that. Ford is clearly in the performance car, racing market. But they could go further....

For example, there's a HUGE gap between the GT500 and the Ford GT. And now both are retired...GT350..yes...let's bring it. but there's still a huge gap....

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
snipped...

It's comparable to the Microsoft Zoom trying to compete with the iPod. The first one to the market is the winner. They would have to invest a lot of R&D and manufacturing costs to develop such a car. Manufacturing costs and capital investment can be avoided if they could find a way to build it on the same line as the Mustang though.

...:

Orrrrr. :) Maybe its like xbox360 competing with PS3? And there is room for both. Before original xbox came out, PS1 ruled (and sega declined). It certainly was a gamble for MS and they weren't given much of a chance.

In the end, the two systems are practically equal with slightly different experiences and some exclusive titles (brand loyalty). The same could be true for a higher end Ford car.
But you make a good point still.

nickf2005

Established Member
Orrrrr. :) Maybe its like xbox360 competing with PS3? And there is room for both. Before original xbox came out, PS1 ruled (and sega declined). It certainly was a gamble for MS and they weren't given much of a chance.

In the end, the two systems are practically equal with slightly different experiences and some exclusive titles (brand loyalty). The same could be true for a higher end Ford car.
But you make a good point still.

I can't disagree with that logic. Good points.

I just find it very difficult to believe that if Ford produced a $50,000 sports car, that someone that would have been in the market for a Mustang (let's say a loaded GT pushing $44k) wouldn't decide to skip the Mustang and purchase the 2-seater.

If Ford would do it right, you'd definitely expect to affect Corvette sales. Maybe Ford is just waiting for the right time... let the economy recover a bit more and find stabilization. We're still on thin ice as a country economy.

germeezy1

Established Member
The fact is Ford is a bit gun shy about halo supercars after the whole PAG debacle, and the Ford GT program that required significant capital for minimal return.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I hope I'm wrong, as an evolution of the Ford GT would be awesome...even though I won't be able to afford one...but I don't think Ford has any interest in competing in the super car arena...or... even challenging the Vette. They are out to create and market the best high performance value on the planet...the Mustang.

I would like nothing more than to see Ford do a new FGT as well as go up against the world's super cars in GT racing and at Le Mans...or... even fund a factory Mustang racing effort. A factory sponsored Ford v. Chevy v. The World battle would be epic. Such a racing heritage is where the FGT was born. Sadly, I don't see Ford going back there. Ford has become very efficient in developing and marketing quality cars...and incrementally improving performance, quality and fuel economy. With the Mustang they choose to compete on the Street with value and accessibility enabling owners have a blast building their own racers. Building a low volume high-end 2-seater that would have to start at $100K doesn't fit this business model.

Last edited:

americansteel

Banned
The fact is Ford is a bit gun shy about halo supercars after the whole PAG debacle, and the Ford GT program that required significant capital for minimal return.

ford knew exactly what they were getting into. and debacle? seems like ford had no problems selling there GT's and raising the premium twice and still sold to buyers, after a certain number was built parts were sold off as service parts. GT program a failure? NO. if I remember correctly ford made the GT's for their bicentennial I may be wrong about that but wasn't ford's birthday 2001? not 04-06. ford doesn't have to make another exotic supercar ( many of you think ford would) for one they aren't in business to do so! but instead go the route of the corvette just a simple American sports car made by ford. they would sell.
instead of throwing money at the mustang and raising the price on such models that actually get into the range of the vette ford would have something special if they made such a car. i look at the GT500 as a waste for the price of the maxxed out GT500 you can buy a vette with upgrades and still continue to outlap and outperform the GT500 all day long.
the GT500 is a heavy turd basket but people still continue to buy them. (basically the only option they give) what ever ford makes ford will sell it!

mustangletback

Established Member
ford knew exactly what they were getting into. and debacle? seems like ford had no problems selling there GT's and raising the premium twice and still sold to buyers, after a certain number was built parts were sold off as service parts. GT program a failure? NO. if I remember correctly ford made the GT's for their bicentennial I may be wrong about that but wasn't ford's birthday 2001? not 04-06. ford doesn't have to make another exotic supercar ( many of you think ford would) for one they aren't in business to do so! but instead go the route of the corvette just a simple American sports car made by ford. they would sell.
instead of throwing money at the mustang and raising the price on such models that actually get into the range of the vette ford would have something special if they made such a car. i look at the GT500 as a waste for the price of the maxxed out GT500 you can buy a vette with upgrades and still continue to outlap and outperform the GT500 all day long.
the GT500 is a heavy turd basket but people still continue to buy them. (basically the only option they give) what ever ford makes ford will sell it!
the GT500 is not in the same class as a vette.the cars that are in the class of the GT500 is the CRAPMARO zl1,and the tugboat challenger.both of those cars weigh alot more than the GT500,AND the GT500 beats them BOTH,all without tax payers money.:lol:

americansteel

Banned
the GT500 is not in the same class as a vette.the cars that are in the class of the GT500 is the CRAPMARO zl1,and the tugboat challenger.both of those cars weigh alot more than the GT500,AND the GT500 beats them BOTH,all without tax payers money.:lol:

yeah everyone knows this. but it still doesn't change the fact that ford seems to like going at the corvette with their precious little 500 and gloat about how bad and fast their overpriced mustang is. just saying :lol:

kingnut

Established Member
A smaller wider 5.0 with no back seat that weighs 3200lbs. I would have bought that instead of my mustang.

mustangletback

Established Member
yeah everyone knows this. but it still doesn't change the fact that ford seems to like going at the corvette with their precious little 500 and gloat about how bad and fast their overpriced mustang is. just saying :lol:
over priced?where else is their a car with 662hp,and can do over 200mph from the factory?some zl1s were going for over 60K.now that is over priced for sure for a car that only has 580hp,and is a fat pig of a car.:dancenana:

americansteel

Banned
over priced?where else is their a car with 662hp,and can do over 200mph from the factory?some zl1s were going for over 60K.now that is over priced for sure for a car that only has 580hp,and is a fat pig of a car.:dancenana:

GT500 and ZL1 Camaro start at 55K and go to 65K.
the 500 weighs 3845 pounds the Camaro ZL! at 4120 pounds the GT500 using a smaller engine but with more boost and less weight will obviously outperform the heavy Camaro we all know that.
the stock mustang GT weighs 3618 pounds and the 1LT corvette weighs 3298 the 1LT vette starts at 51K and goes to 62k. both the ZL1 and GT500 out price the corvette by a few thousand dollars per model trim level yet the vette being much lighter will outperform both cars. i think about physics before i look at engine output numbers before i declare who or what is faster. to me and many others believe for the GT500 is overpriced especially when only having a tad bigger engine with a supercharger yet more weight is gained, at 55K i want something that will perform very well on the track and in the straight-line. i seen too many stock GT500's get spanked by GT mustangs with few mods or even very little boost for less than 40K. i seen many 13 GT500's get spanked on a road course by lighter Mustang GT's and even crown vic's (one of my car's). any car can be made to hit 205 MPH the only way the GT500 can hit that mark is with boost and lesser weight than the Camaro to me that doesn't seem like a major feat but i guess it counts to ford because they have nothing to compare with along side the vette and other real "sports cars" around the world. i don't know maybe because of the Shelby name and SVT logo warrants such a high price in a supercharged mustang. who knows?

forgot to mention- the 1lt vette launches faster and hits 100MPH before the Shelby does.
also seen several videos and track times stating the ZL1 bested the GT500.
I still rather see a 2 seater sports car in the same price range as the vette built by ford.
:dancenana:i have a dancing banana too :)

Last edited:

mustangletback

Established Member
GT500 and ZL1 Camaro start at 55K and go to 65K.
the 500 weighs 3845 pounds the Camaro ZL! at 4120 pounds the GT500 using a smaller engine but with more boost and less weight will obviously outperform the heavy Camaro we all know that.
the stock mustang GT weighs 3618 pounds and the 1LT corvette weighs 3298 the 1LT vette starts at 51K and goes to 62k. both the ZL1 and GT500 out price the corvette by a few thousand dollars per model trim level yet the vette being much lighter will outperform both cars. i think about physics before i look at engine output numbers before i declare who or what is faster. to me and many others believe for the GT500 is overpriced especially when only having a tad bigger engine with a supercharger yet more weight is gained, at 55K i want something that will perform very well on the track and in the straight-line. i seen too many stock GT500's get spanked by GT mustangs with few mods or even very little boost for less than 40K. i seen many 13 GT500's get spanked on a road course by lighter Mustang GT's and even crown vic's (one of my car's). any car can be made to hit 205 MPH the only way the GT500 can hit that mark is with boost and lesser weight than the Camaro to me that doesn't seem like a major feat but i guess it counts to ford because they have nothing to compare with along side the vette and other real "sports cars" around the world. i don't know maybe because of the Shelby name and SVT logo warrants such a high price in a supercharged mustang. who knows?

forgot to mention- the 1lt vette launches faster and hits 100MPH before the Shelby does.
also seen several videos and track times stating the ZL1 bested the GT500.
I still rather see a 2 seater sports car in the same price range as the vette built by ford.
:dancenana:i have a dancing banana too :)
to me 60K for a zl1 is crazy.its not worth that in my eye site at all.looking at camaro5 in the forums under camaro issues backs that up to me.as far as the 2 seater,FORD could do another FORD GT and destroy the next zr1 if they wanted to.the last one killed the vette.they should do another COBRA and go strait at those over priced junk cars they call ferrari.now before people go crazy about what i just said,a friend of mine McDERMOTT law group had a ferrari droptop modena.it was a nice looking car,paddle shifters pretty black car.now,before 15K miles on it,the dam clutch went out,and ferrari wanted almost 15K to fix it.now the bentley still drives fine.another friend.03 cobra over 100K miles and the thing is still going.same motor same trans.:coolman:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I'd like to see it but I doubt they would mess with the heritage and legendary status (well in the Ford realm of reality) of the FGT.

americansteel

Banned
if ford were to make a 2 seater sports car i hope it wouldnt be another GT. i like the GT but i a rather have a car like the vette 51K-60K of course with options or trim levels something on par with what GM has done for many years with the vette this is something ford could do and do well with. it would work.

Digital

Established Member
if ford were to make a 2 seater sports car i hope it wouldnt be another GT. i like the GT but i a rather have a car like the vette 51K-60K of course with options or trim levels something on par with what GM has done for many years with the vette this is something ford could do and do well with. it would work.

You sure have a lot of opinion for someone new to the block. I say opinion specifically because you seem to be mistaking what you say for fact. Which it's not.

americansteel

Banned
You sure have a lot of opinion for someone new to the block. I say opinion specifically because you seem to be mistaking what you say for fact. Which it's not.
BUHAHAHAHAHA that made my day:lol: my comment is nothing more than an opinion not facts. only would my opinion become fact when ford builds such a car and sold them then i would be proven right. ford will sell what ever they make thats a fact. your comment is an assumption of an opinion and you took someones opinion seriously then you try to call me out on my opinion and your assumption was proven wrong. :beer:

new to the block? im sorry that i registered this year and that i dont have thousands of posts like you premium users have. and im sorry that i dont spend my entire day on this forum like some do.

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
just for the Z06, 2015 is going to bring 620 hp -- as well as the next gen NSX.

what the hell Mulally??? what's it going to take to get your Irish up?

Users who are viewing this thread