Would I notice a difference in these gears?

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Would I know a difference in going from the stock 3.55 gears in my 03 cobra to 3.27? Just wondering if this is a positive or negative thing or not that big of a deal. Thanks.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'm still on the fence about this....can't decide if i think it'd help the powerband for roll/highway racing in my KB car

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
I'm thinking about doing an Irs/solid swap and the solid guy has 3.27 gears and I didn't know if this would be a good thing or bad thing or not much difference.

i'm still on the fence about this....can't decide if i think it'd help the powerband for roll/highway racing in my KB car

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
A .28 difference, so i'm assuming you will feel it, like you lost a little down low but nothing to bad. Atleast these cars make great TQ on the low end.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well these cars sure have enough low end torque to perhaps not notice a big difference

i wouldn't do it tho

stevolikedevo

Established Member
I know a guy who made that swap and he was very happy with it. EDIT: He was putting down 700+ rwhp and wanted to ensure he could finish the 1/4 in 4th gear.

Last edited:

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
Don't do it. unless you have a turbo car with 700rwhp. I use to have 3.27's now have 3.73's. I just went to the 1/4 mile track last sat. Before my highest trap speed was 121mph. Since last time I changed to SBTB, O/r X-pipe and bruce's irs bushing kit and 3.73 gears now my car traps 126mph. I picked up 5mph in the 1/4 mile. I think 3.73's were the major contributing factor in that. Use to have highflow catted h-pipe.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i know it wouldn't be ideal for a track car, but for highway racing do ya'll think it would be beneficial?

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
it would be great for a turbo car which need the load on the car to build the boost. on a kb car you could, but its a high way gear at that point for that car. You will be lugging that motor at 65 i.e. under 2k rpms. also teh problem with that is when your on the freeway you will build boost almost immediately because of how much you would have to press on the gas peddle to accelerate through traffic or up a hill and then you will be sucking gas like crazy.

venom04svt

Established Member
Blue, 3.73's are the way to go, i think i lost maybe 2mpg on the highway running 75mph + on 40/95, around town you wont even see a difference, i'm at mid 600's without spray and still go thru the traps in 4th even on pray but i am near 6800 or so

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
I know a guy who made that swap and he was very happy with it. EDIT: He was putting down 700+ rwhp and wanted to ensure he could finish the 1/4 in 4th gear.

how does it run on the street. mine makes 650rwhp on boost, and not sure what it'll make on nitrous.....i'm looking for the best highway/roll racing gear, my car isn't a track car

Users who are viewing this thread