Would You Purchase a Re-Painted Terminator?

44shelby

Established Member
Just repaint it whatever color you want and drive it. As long as it isnt a low mileage car like sub 5000 then it wont really matter at the end of the day. Those will be the cars to fetch the big money anyways. The comp orange verts will likely be the only vert to ever fetch top dollar anyways.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
No sir. Expecting is the wrong word. I would like to be in the price range of the color.

All things being equal (body type, condition, mileage, etc.) do you think someone will pay the same amount for a SB as they would silver? I don't think so. Why? Because SB is a more desirable color than silver.

So, for example, if I re-paint my 03 vert, let's say CO, do you think I could go from silver money to CO money in the sale price?

Let's say if I made it look like this:
View attachment 1734179

And if people, in general, say no then I won't consider doing a re-paint.

As mentioned, I wouldn't do this just for fun. Taking a Terminator apart, sanding the old paint, fixing the minor imperfections, painting the entire car, polishing it and then reassembling it is no easy task. However, someone would be getting an extremely nice looking Terminator.

And if you think someone will not pay what it "cost" to do this, those are the comments I'm looking for. Trying to get a consensus here.

We are at 3 pages of responses and it would appear most say they "would" buy a re-paint, but it would depend on color and price. To me that means most would try to use the re-paint as a point of contention to get the price down.

So, if I had to make the decision today I probably wouldn't re-paint the car a different color and just sell it as is.

Appreciate the feedback Corbic (y).

Okay, you have a silver car.

I don't know what the market is thanks to Covid but heres some ideas.

So Silver Cobra is worth $23k if it was Comp Orange, I'm sure it would be worth $27k to the right buyer - all things the same.

You want to repaint a Silver Cobra.

To do what you're showing, engine and interior out, full color change - $5,000 easy in materials + your free time.

So now, you have a Comp Orange car.

But no one is going to give you full Comp Orange money > since it's not original.

So Comp Orange car $27k, your repaint $24.5k and a Silver original car $23k.

This is why I suggested a Non-OEM color.

Bobby (@inkedging) has done a few full color changes. But they've also been huge projects and need the right buyer.
Mamba 2.0
Photo-Jul-14-8-27-20-PM-1000x1000.jpg

Photo-Jul-26-3-04-26-AM-1000x1000.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6495.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You have skills and a boring silver vert.
If it was a cool color would you enjoy and drive it more?
I’d say you’ll get at least half of your color change cost back, likely all and more if you pick a great color and find that buyer who loves it.
Assuming you do a killer job as I suspect you will, I’d say go for it.
Might be something for keeping it a classic Ford color that wasn’t offered on the Terminator. Something like Grabber Blue.
-J

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Personally OP, just keep what you have. Put it through a paint correction process if you must and move on. As mentioned, between time, effort, materials, labor, etc you’re not going to get back you’re money. If it’s something you’re doing for you however, I think you should go all in.

OG Mamba (Bobby again) - Grabber Green

Car started off Blue.
View attachment 1735525
View attachment 1735524
View attachment 1735526
lll make the statement again and again… ford has lost soo many opportunities not issuing this color. Ive seen wraps and repaints on new edges, s197, s550s. It’s timeless.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
All of you guys make great points (@Corbic, @biminiLX and @sonicx). I think Bobby painted his own car or his buddies. Which is why it has the "ink'd" logo on there and probably why he went all out.

I don't think the color would make me drive it more or enjoy it more. This idea is more of a project for me to do later in life on a car I already own and that doesn't need a ton of repair work or parts. Just time and paint materials.

I know the amount of work it would take to do this and I realize color is subjective. One person will love it and the next will hate it. I also understand it's a roll of the dice.

However, I also know someone "would" pay top dollar for a repainted Terminator depending on the job done and color. It happens all the time in the custom car world. Hell, before I started painting I paid to have a custom paint job put on my Terminator.

I asked the question here to get a consensus from people who own or love Terminators. Everyone has made valid points and has given me points to ponder. And right now I'm starting to think a non-OEM color might work in the resale market a little better than an OEM color, again, depending on color and the job done.

I originally thought an OEM CO, SB or MC might work, but I agree people will be like "It's not original." "You painted it to cover damage or some other problem" and so on. So, maybe a Ford color people love, but was not offered on a Terminator (i.e. Dark Highland Green, Grabber Blue, 93 Cobra Teal, etc.).

I don't plan on doing this any time soon, if I decide to pull the trigger on this project at all. So, I have plenty of time to weigh my options and see what colors might work on a convertible Terminator with a black top.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Id say go custom over an oem color. As long as its a high quality paint job with door jams and engine bay etc done id take that over a stock silver car. If it was a great custom color like that teal cobra. And there are many, many sick colors to choose from. Do an awesome color that no one has done before and the car will become “famous” which will help drive its resell ability. as awesome as CO and MC and SB are id probably take that teal or destroyer gray car over them just to be different. As long as the paint job is super high quality, which would likely be better than oem, especially on an almost 20 year old car.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread