Would you recommend these brand gears?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I did a lot of research on 3.90's back before I put my blower on because they were the gears I was going to use N/A. (Decided on 3.73's since FI) what I found in my time reading about the 3.90's was that no matter what brand of gear they bought it seemed like everyone complained of gear whine, now that may bother you or it may not. Typically a higher numerically valued gear will tend to be "noisier" because it's simply how the ring gear is cut. If I was still N/A I would've chosen this set of gears to use.

Yukon gear and axle has been around forever and I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a gear they make, as long as you make sure the rear end is set up correctly and everything is in spec I don't think you'll be unhappy one bit.

Also one more thing, motive makes ford racing gears.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I did a lot of research on 3.90's back before I put my blower on because they were the gears I was going to use N/A. (Decided on 3.73's since FI) what I found in my time reading about the 3.90's was that no matter what brand of gear they bought it seemed like everyone complained of gear whine, now that may bother you or it may not. Typically a higher numerically valued gear will tend to be "noisier" because it's simply how the ring gear is cut. If I was still N/A I would've chosen this set of gears to use.

Yukon gear and axle has been around forever and I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a gear they make, as long as you make sure the rear end is set up correctly and everything is in spec I don't think you'll be unhappy one bit.

Also one more thing, motive makes ford racing gears.

You think 3.90 would be idea for S/C? I'm still torn on piecing a procharger/vortech together or staying N/A but i've been doing some heavy research. I didn't experience any gear whine with 3.73 in my last stang & im sure that would be annoying as crap. I wanna do it once and not worry about it again.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I agree about the only doing it once deal, with a centrifugal a 3.90 might not be to bad, but with a PD blower I felt like a 3.73 would be the ideal gear. Kenne bell did a study back in the day on the perfect gear for a supercharged 2v and it was a 3.73 id have to try and dig the article up somewhere it's been a few years since I read it. I never experienced any whine with my 4.10's in my last car or the 3.73's in this one either so I'm not really sure why so many complain about whine with a 3.90. There's just not a lot of people who run the 3.90 gear to ask really.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Yeah centri would be my S/C if I took that route. I think they experience the gear whine b/c of the brand maybe? That's what i've read before but from a handful of people that said that. I've always thought 4.10 was the gear for centri but maybe just for 4V's.

Rudders331cobra

Established Member
Yeah centri would be my S/C if I took that route. I think they experience the gear whine b/c of the brand maybe? That's what i've read before but from a handful of people that said that. I've always thought 4.10 was the gear for centri but maybe just for 4V's.

I would go with3.73. You are right about he 4v and 4.10's. I think with the centri and 3.73 you will be very happy. But keep researching and see what you find, looks like you are on the right track.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
the 4.10 is definitely the gear of choice for the 4v. I would definitely research on it some more, a 3.90 with a centri could be good for getting you into the powerband that much quicker. That's a question for the centri crowd though!

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I've never had a gear set that whined, anything from 2.73s to 5.13s never had a problem, and I've had a crapload of gear sets from Ford, to GM to Zoom to just about anything else. If you set them up right, they won't whine.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Thanks for the response guys! I'm going to stick with 3.73 since I can get it with a tuner on AM but if I could swing 3.90 & tuner pkg i'd do it. Now I gotta do my research on piecing a Vortech together!

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
my car went 9.7s with a stock longblock 03 cobra swap and 3.90s and im about to add 100+rwhp to the setup but keep the 3.90s

no clue what "study" KB did but there is no perfect gear choice

Users who are viewing this thread