Wow, Addicted!!!!

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yes, big thanx to ac427cobra for the boot vent idea. I'm 3620# with 470 to the wheels with coil-overs. I'm in intermediate group and don't drive nearly as hard as you I'm sure. I couldn't see any tears in the boot but could have been a sharp slit. Guess I better stick one in there before the Glen in June

dragon40k

Established Member
Well I just got word from Gary (dark gray Fox body hb that only ran Sunday) about his motor, unfortunaterly he wasn't as lucky as you guys..... his motor is toast. They think it dropped a rocker, which in turn sent metal through the motor, broke the timing chain and cover, bent valves, scored 5 cylinders bad and ruined the cam. They haven't checked the crank or block yet.

Wow that is rough.

Gonz

Established Member
Yep that sucks, big time.

One of the reasons I stopped tracking my '02 WRX and bought a Mustang was for "dependability." Low revving, low compression, iron block & heads, solid axle. Should be unbreakable ?

I never had problems with my old 1990 5.0LX, so I hope my SN95 holds up to the track. So far so good; but with the list of failures in this one weekend, it's a little concerning.

Here is some video from Group Advance 2 filmed from the Bridge Straight on Sunday Afternoon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGzecTkoDJ0"]YouTube - SVTOA 2008 Shenandoah Circuit Grp A2 @ Bridge Straight[/ame]

Youtube now allows bigger files so it's a little easier to post vids w/out having to hack them down to minimal resolution.

Gonz.

Last edited:

George D

Established Member
Seeing this is a pretty good size Boston contingent here.. I'm in the process of relo'ing to Bahston. What are the most popular tracks out there? I'm used to running at VIR, Summit and Watkins Glen. I heard a new track is opening in NJ not far from Philly but haven't heard great things about the NE tracks like Lime Rock.

Suggestions?

Lime Rock is about 3 hours away, NHIS is about 2 hours. The new track in NJ looks like about a 5 hr ride. We may have a new track in Palmer, MA at some point. Troy hosts several autocross events in Ayer, MA at Devens airfield. Its a large triangular course almost the same size as SP without high speed straights. Its not your typical parking lot autocross, its sort of a hybrid between a track event and an autocross and there are one or two every weekend from April through November. There are lots of vids on youtube under "Devens Autocross". Its sort of like boot camp for HPDE.
Once you get up here, let us know and we can tell you about the next available event if you want to just stop by and check it out or even pre-register to drive.
Lime rock is a small track with some decent elevation changes, not as many turns as SP.
This is from the roof of my car.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ir8R4588g"]YouTube - limerock roof cam 1[/ame]

Last edited:

Gonz

Established Member
Welcome aboard Gonzalo!!

Nice videos!! Man I like that bumper cam... can you post some details about the video setup please.

The Shenandoah track doesn't take much hp. I've seen it many times that a well handling low hp car with a good driver can be as fast as most anything (reasonable of course).

Darin

Thanks!
The bumper cam is just a SONY bullet camera like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-CCD-Bullet...ryZ48629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1_005.jpg

About $65.

I think mine has a 3mm lens (120 degree field of view & 380 lines, color) It's 3 or 4 years old now. I run RCA cables to a Cannon Mini DV (zr700) camcorder which does the recording. The picture is not as good as a camcorder, but the bullet camera is cheap so I don't worry about it taking a hit from a rock.

To use this method the key is to have a camcorder that has RCA line inputs. This used to be ALL camcorders years ago, but now everything is digital & these are the exception. You can mount it pretty much anywhere.

Here are a couple of minutes of video from the NOVICE group on Sunday afternoon:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHHcvJmXAo"]YouTube - SVTOA Shenandoah 2008 - Novice Grp[/ame]

Gonz.

Ken88GT

Established Member
Sorry for the hijack, but . . .

I wasn't at Summit Point, but I also did my first track day, but this past weekend at BeaveRun Motorsports Complex. Great day. We only ran on Sat, but I got 3 sessions in. First one was tentative, learning the line, etc. I still scored 9/10 on my grade sheet. I recognized all of the flag stations, etc.

Being in group 1, I had an instructor. He ended up signing off on my driving after my 2nd session.

I was feeling the line quite easily I must say. Not perfect, but my instructor must have been at least a little impressed to put his reputation on the line.

Only draw back from the session was the lack of extended driving time. I'm definitely going to look for a full weekend event this year.

Oh yeah, I also killed my stock struts--they were on their way out, already.

Bilstein/H&R here I come.

The first hit is the worst

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Mike's really developing a talent there with that Wizz Bang Nikon of his.

I wasn't at Summit Point, but I also did my first track day, but this past weekend at BeaveRun Motorsports Complex. Great day. We only ran on Sat, but I got 3 sessions in. First one was tentative, learning the line, etc. I still scored 9/10 on my grade sheet. I recognized all of the flag stations, etc.

Being in group 1, I had an instructor. He ended up signing off on my driving after my 2nd session.

I was feeling the line quite easily I must say. Not perfect, but my instructor must have been at least a little impressed to put his reputation on the line.

Only draw back from the session was the lack of extended driving time. I'm definitely going to look for a full weekend event this year.

Congrats. It's usually lack of funds that keeps anyone from doing this every weekend. As you found out, it gets you hooked.

Are you in an '88 GT (screen name)? If not, what were you driving?

Ken88GT

Established Member
Yeah, I was in an 88 GT. I've changed out the front brakes to sn95 cobra spec (still drum rears, though), MM c/c plates, urethane bushings (except the front lca's), MM rear lca's, frpp uppers, 98 gt wheels, Kumho MX's (245-45-17's). I was going to do the PHB/TA combo next, but it looks like the dampers will be the next thing on the list to get done.

03'Darin

Established Member
Darin & George...

Here's the promised video. Sorry, I thought I had more footage.
Next time Go Slower! :poke:

Click here to watch Darin--George-at-Mountaineer-Madness-08

Thanks for the vid Greg!! Just gave me visual confirmation how poorly my car was getting through the turns. lol I've been doing sway bar diameter research since I got back from the event.

Anyone happen to have a 31MM or larger front bar for an SN95 car they want to sell??

George D

Established Member
Thanks for posting that vid! Its nice to be able to see my line. I already spotted a few places I could pick up some time.:) I hope to have my camera mount in soon so I can return the favor.

03'Darin

Established Member
Thanks!
The bumper cam is just a SONY bullet camera like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-CCD-Bullet...ryZ48629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1_005.jpg

About $65.

I think mine has a 3mm lens (120 degree field of view & 380 lines, color) It's 3 or 4 years old now. I run RCA cables to a Cannon Mini DV (zr700) camcorder which does the recording. The picture is not as good as a camcorder, but the bullet camera is cheap so I don't worry about it taking a hit from a rock.

To use this method the key is to have a camcorder that has RCA line inputs. This used to be ALL camcorders years ago, but now everything is digital & these are the exception. You can mount it pretty much anywhere.

Here are a couple of minutes of video from the NOVICE group on Sunday afternoon:

Gonz.

Thanks for the camera info Gonz. I used to run my Cannon in the car but it picked up terrible wind noise and I can't stand watching the video without the sound. :-D Maybe the Bullit camera is just my soultiuon.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks for the camera info Gonz. I used to run my Cannon in the car but it picked up terrible wind noise and I can't stand watching the video without the sound. :-D Maybe the Bullit camera is just my soultiuon.

I'd like to get into one of those bullit cams and a separate mike, also. I can't tell you how much wind noise I get when I run with the top down for NASA. :whine: Gonz, where do you put your mike?

shlbygt

Established Member

Yikes, I'm going to have to say that the instructor in question probably doesn't have much of a good reputation if he signed off on a novice after the second session. It sounds like he wanted to get back to his car and be done with you. Was this a Flat Out Day? You were finished by 12:30 according to the schedule? $180??
Wow, you should have come to Summit Point to see how a real track event with instruction is held.
There is way too much to learn on track to be digested in two sessions.
I rarely sign off on a student even on the second day and if I do I usually drive my car in that run group to keep an eye out and perform lead - follows.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^ I must agree.

The intermediate group at SVTOA did not require instructors. I requested one to help me learn the line. Ended up with Greg, though he did not teach me that 360 degree turn technique. In addition it helped me find the proper gear for the track as well. I think I will always get a session from an instructor. Just as helpful is getting a ride with one.

Ken88GT

Established Member
I wasn't expecting or requesting to be signed off upon. I was more surprised than anyone. My next event will be a full weekend event with an outspoken individual who understands these cars, i guess.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yikes, I'm going to have to say that the instructor in question probably doesn't have much of a good reputation if he signed off on a novice after the second session. It sounds like he wanted to get back to his car and be done with you. Was this a Flat Out Day? You were finished by 12:30 according to the schedule? $180??
Wow, you should have come to Summit Point to see how a real track event with instruction is held.
There is way too much to learn on track to be digested in two sessions.
I rarely sign off on a student even on the second day and if I do I usually drive my car in that run group to keep an eye out and perform lead - follows.

Agreed! Very rarely do I get a student that is so good at executing what I want him to do that I would release him even on the second day. I've had a few. But very few.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Gonz

Established Member
I'd like to get into one of those bullit cams and a separate mike, also. I can't tell you how much wind noise I get when I run with the top down for NASA. :whine: Gonz, where do you put your mike?

You can get in-line Mics for about $15 or so on ebay. If you do this, it's easy in that you don't need to add a separate 12v power source for the microphone. However, it means the mic will be within 10 inches or so of the camera. In the videos I posted from last weekend, the microphone is under the hood, just behind the passenger side headlight.

I kind of like the sound there. I can hear when I'm on/off the gas, can hear the tires & even the brakes. Oh, and if I'm running behind an unmuffled Sentra, I can hear that too...... Not sure that I'd want the mic. down there if I had a screw type supercharger on the car, though.

In the past I have run the microphone inside the car as well. This means I had to splice the microphone power lead. NOt a big deal, but just more wiring to deal with. The way it is now, I leave the RCA leads under the hood running into the cabin permanently & i just disconnect the camera at one end & the camcorder at the other when I'm done.

For comparison, here is an older video that shows what it sounds like with the microphone inside the car: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gDgh_F1iQk"]YouTube - Shenandoah Circuit - Two Laps WRX[/ame]

It's from my first weekend at Shenandoah. I made this video to help my brother before his first day at Shenandoah last weekend. Most of the talking you can hear is my instructor.

Gonz.

PS> hope your spring stays in place ! that spacer :dw: has got to go.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Sounds like a nice setup, Gonz. But I guess I'll have to stay with the Sony Handicam I now have, since I will need to replace my isolators, and maybe start saving for a coilover setup. :D

And I hope Ken (OP) is reading this. I know he was eager to be signed off on by Sunday. I did his last session of the day as a silent instructor, to see how he'd react if he were on his own. I wonder if there's a way to let the newcomer know that this is a long process? I'm sure Jeff alludes to it in the classroom sessions, but by then, the desire to show you can go out alone is set. I remember feeling it years ago. Now I look forward to going to NASA events and hooking up with an instructor. Every time I go out alone, I realize how much more I still have to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread