Wow, Addicted!!!!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I have done enough events that I have been put into groups that don't require instructors.....BUT...any time I'm at a new track, I really push to either ride with an instructor or have one ride with me. Driving at a new place is intimidating as it is......and worse if you don't have someone on your side to guide you.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Sounds like a nice setup, Gonz. But I guess I'll have to stay with the Sony Handicam I now have, since I will need to replace my isolators, and maybe start saving for a coilover setup. :D

And I hope Ken (OP) is reading this. I know he was eager to be signed off on by Sunday. I did his last session of the day as a silent instructor, to see how he'd react if he were on his own. I wonder if there's a way to let the newcomer know that this is a long process? I'm sure Jeff alludes to it in the classroom sessions, but by then, the desire to show you can go out alone is set. I remember feeling it years ago. Now I look forward to going to NASA events and hooking up with an instructor. Every time I go out alone, I realize how much more I still have to learn.

I will always welcome an instructor, and learn more each and every time. I am not that daft.

My main goal was to get away from the rest of the Novice drivers :lol::lol:

I would have PAID dearly to have had the opportunity to follow an instructor/advanced driver in a FOCUS to see their lines.

I will always welcome an instructor, unless it is a race and they are fat :bored:

Ken

:beer::beer:

dragon40k

Established Member
At this point for me I much prefer to have an instructor. That second head in my car would be invaulable in keeping me in check in case I start to get even more out of control. Day two was just begining to show me what I don't know. I barely caught a glimpse IMO of what this is all about. I did get signed off on Sunday I think it was partially to be evaulated on how I'd react WITHOUT an instructor . Though I think it is a sign of some confidence saying that they don't think i'm a complete moron.

David Hester

Established Member
I didn't have anyone IN the car when I got my Competition license, but I had John Baucom (Trans Am driver and multi time SCCA National champion- one year in 2 classes in the same car with an engine change -Great Guy!) http://www.johnbaucom.com/JohnBaucomProfessionalRaceCarDriverEZeComEc.aspx filling my mirrors for 2 days. He was the one who told me I should be flat footed going down Roller Coaster at VIR. I had to dump a box of Miracle Grow in my pants before I tried it, but it worked (the flat footed part- the Miracle Grow just pissed the wife off when we got home and she had to wash my suit :nono:)
Nice to have someone that knows what they are doing out there with you.
I think I mentioned when I first started racing I was just another of those "D**n A/Sedan drivers" to the GT-1 and SPO drivers (really fast cars). Now, 5 years later, I'm the "Courteous A/Sedan driver".:thumbsup:
I even had one of them offer to push my dead car in with their's.
Wish I had a picture of me leading the GT-1 car with him right on my bumper!:lol1::lol1::lol1:

Last edited:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
At this point for me I much prefer to have an instructor. That second head in my car would be invaulable in keeping me in check in case I start to get even more out of control. Day two was just begining to show me what I don't know. I barely caught a glimpse IMO of what this is all about. I did get signed off on Sunday I think it was partially to be evaulated on how I'd react WITHOUT an instructor . Though I think it is a sign of some confidence saying that they don't think i'm a complete moron.

I was pretty much signed off on Sunday as well, had they run another ssession I think I would have been out solo.

They were short on Instructors on Sunday I heard, but at least mine was still there :banana::banana:

See you at the next event.

Ken

:beer::beer:

Ken88GT

Established Member
Trying to figure out if I should try to make the next SVTOA event in Michigan or Mid Ohio with NASA. MidOh is only 2 hours from my house, but it requires joining NASA. I think you guys would benefit me more because of the familiarity with the car. Not so sure I'd get that with NASA. I saw that I could have had a ton more time at Summit Point than i did at BR.

wheelhopper

Established Member
NASA puts on great events. I personally prefer them at this point. I feel there instructors are usually a little better, not always. Either way any seat time with an instructor is just added experience.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Ken, join NASA just for the free subscription to GrassrootsMotorsports! :thumbsup:
Then GO to MidOhio. Awesome track. I wish it was only 2 hours from MY house.

I haven't found an instructor from NASA that couldn't teach me more than I could absorb, regardless of their car. I got some of my best info from a guy that drives an MR2!

Then dig into the old savings and go to SVTOA also (is it at Gingerman?). The best thing you can do is get seat time. I wish I could go more often, but I'm trying to make it to 4 or 5 events this year.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Ken, join NASA just for the free subscription to GrassrootsMotorsports! :thumbsup:
Then GO to MidOhio. Awesome track. I wish it was only 2 hours from MY house.

I haven't found an instructor from NASA that couldn't teach me more than I could absorb, regardless of their car. I got some of my best info from a guy that drives an MR2!

Then dig into the old savings and go to SVTOA also (is it at Gingerman?). The best thing you can do is get seat time. I wish I could go more often, but I'm trying to make it to 4 or 5 events this year.

You talkin to me?

Gonz

Established Member
My last vids:

Did anybody run in Group Advanced 1 ?
Here's a look from Turn 6.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlr4oniJENE"]YouTube - SVTOA 2008 Shenandoah Group Ad1 @ The Hook (T6)[/ame]

And some in-car footage from Saturday, group Advanced 2. You could tell it was some people's first time at Shenandoah. Some interesting lines being used and a good bit of traffic:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLK8T4VvsZI"]YouTube - SVTOA '08 Mountaineer Madness (5/3 bumper cam)[/ame]

Also, I could use an extra 100HP or so!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Amen to that.

Good footage of the hook. I need to stand there and watch some next time. I think that's the turn I blow the most often.

Gonz

Established Member
Amen to that.

Good footage of the hook. I need to stand there and watch some next time. I think that's the turn I blow the most often.

That blind exit is tricky.

I called a performance shop today in Gaithersburg about having a set of gears put in. Once they added up gears $200 + install $550 :dw: + bearings & shims it came out to $850. FOr that money, I could have a roll bar & harness installed, and I'd rather make sure I'm safe before I try to go faster.

Have to do some searching for a more reasonable quote as I could almost get a brand new axle assembly for that money.

George D

Established Member
My last vids:

Did anybody run in Group Advanced 1 ?
!

That must have been the last Saturday session. Right before they called us to stage I pulled my calipers and saw nothing but backing plate. By the time I had new pads in, I had just enough time to take one lap and bed the pads and then the cool down lap so I missed 90% of the session.

Gonz

Established Member
wheelhopper - sent you a PM, thanks.

Ken88GT - NASA is a good group to run with. They run everything very well, on time & excellent classroom session ( even advanced group). I like that because it gets everyone a chance to talk about what's going on out on the track. Any problem areas, challenges, learning from others, etc.

You probably won't get quite as much seat time. Mid-A region usually runs 25 min x 3 sessions per day. Sometimes the Sunda afternoon session is 30 minutes.

But the best of all is you get to watch real RACING between your HPDE & classroom sessions. After you see the Camaro-Mustang-Challenge and American Iron guys, out there driving the wheels off these cars, you really appreciate just how fast a good driver can get around a track and how much more there is to learn. These guys run fender to fender & nose to tail, and it's a lot of fun to watch.

oh, yeah, and the free magazine is cool. Especially if you like reading about Miatas ;)

Gonz

Users who are viewing this thread