Wow. I love my wife

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
To be fair to the OP, the thread was poorly worded.
I suspect he buys what he wants, she doesn't object, & there is no " permission " given.......................I think..

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Totally agree. I'm in the process of getting married and she gets pissed every time I tell her no to the joint bank account thing. I work like a borrowed mule for my money. Maybe if I didn't make twice what she makes I would listen to it. My money is my money and I'll blow it on whatever the **** I want.
First off, congrats to the OP. Sounds like life is treating you well, sir!

I intend to go this route as well. As long as each person can pay their portion of the bills and not live paycheck to paycheck, then they should be able to reasonably spend their own money as they please.
I'm also 10 years older than my chick and make exactly twice as much. Since I've been working much longer than she has, I feel I've earned my level of income and am allowed to enjoy some frivolities. Considering I pay 80% of the mortgage and cover all the important bills (water, utilities...etc are in my name) and can still have some fun, I don't think she'd be warranted in busting my balls about anything. We have a joint savings account set aside for "house stuff" and that works well. If she were pushy about a joint checking account, though, I'd be curious as to her motives.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
My wife and I used to have separate accounts the first few years we were married, but it seemed to be a PITA on who pays what portion of what. We consolidated and it was the best thing, for us. We are on the same page on how money is spent and it is irrelevant on who makes more than the other...

When it comes to things that matter, we don't discuss it because it's something that's needed. When it's random stupid shit that's not needed, it's worth discussing because at the end of the day, that money could be better off spent elsewhere. Luckily for me however, my wife is extremely frugal and I usually have to persuade her it's worth spending a little more on certain things.

lilcoop03

Established Member
The easy answer here is a joint account for necessities and usual purchases (mortgage, groceries, bills, going out to eat as a family) then separate accounts for whatever each of you want. This works for my wife and I pretty well.

NIXDSG

Established Member
To be fair to the OP, the thread was poorly worded.
I suspect he buys what he wants, she doesn't object, & there is no " permission " given.......................I think..
Yes, I might have been drinking when I posted that.

The "permission" part was slightly over stated. I find if I get agreement when I buy big ticket items it means I'm spending within our means. I sometime let my desires outpace my wallet. If I get the agreement to go ahead I also don't get any "I told you so".

We share an account. I make more. WE live life together and need to find balance, which WE do together. You all be you, this works for me. WE are blessed.

Blackoyote

Established Member
A lot of people think that separate accounts can't work, but we've been together 14 years, married 11. It works just fine. She buys what she wants, I buy what I want. I pay the mortgage and most of the bills since I make 3x what she does.

No joint credit cards or bank accounts, no joint car loans, she's not even on our home loan.

Been married 8 years tomorrow, and as of last month we actually separated finances and I cover EVERYTHING besides groceries/her decor shit for the house. I make 3-3.5x what she does, and she was waaaaay over spending from our joint account, more than I do on my toys which have actual value.

It's great, she understood why it was necessary and now she'll have to be accountable and see the dollars that go with all the 'no think just click' purchases. Now she'll never hear me bitch about her spending too much, she can buy whatever she wants with her money...and I'll continue buying whatever I want because I'm the one paying for the houses and contributing thousands/month to our savings.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If I want to buy something, I do it. I don't ask the wife for permission. Perks of maintaining separate bank accounts.
This is how we've done it for nearly 20 years. Works very well.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

cobracide

Established Member
Had a spreadsheet going with each bill to pay as a percentage of income. My ex GF made 30 percent of what I made so she paid 30 percent of almost everything. i paid for all the groceries and everything when we went out ie. to dinner moves ect. Seemed more than fair ro mw but she hated it. LoL

quad

Established Member
Had a spreadsheet going with each bill to pay as a percentage of income. My ex GF made 30 percent of what I made so she paid 30 percent of almost everything. i paid for all the groceries and everything when we went out ie. to dinner moves ect. Seemed more than fair ro mw but she hated it. LoL
We split everything 50/50 initially. As time went by I started caring about my wife more and figured if I can spend 16K to modify the Terminator I can help her a bit with finances also.

I know this might sound weird. How can you care about your wife more than when you married her? But I guess that's how it is. I care more about my Terminator now than when I bought it.

At the end of the day when you die the time to help people you care about is over. I'd rather do it now if I can. Life's short.

cobracide

Established Member
We split everything 50/50 initially. As time went by I started caring about my wife more and figured if I can spend 16K to modify the Terminator I can help her a bit with finances also.

I know this might sound weird. How can you care about your wife more than when you married her? But I guess that's how it is. I care more about my Terminator now than when I bought it.

At the end of the day when you die the time to help people you care about is over. I'd rather do it now if I can. Life's short.
That ex of mine went on a "vacation" with her supposed gf which actually was to see her old BF. A month later she "broke up" with me and left. Well i hacked her email and she had married that old BF the week she left.

I love my car way more than "people" and it's just a car.

NIXDSG

Established Member
My wife just told me, TOLD ME, to buy a new motorcycle. Because she knows I want to take a trip with my long time friends. We share an account, it's never been about that, goodness. Point is she supports me, and as best I can I her. She keeps me stead fast as best she can, with all my faults, I'm not sure how.

That is all.

C2tuck

Established Member
Well seeing that last year I made 12x what she made…I pay ALL the bills. If she wants to buy more goddamn pillows or whatever for the house, she pays for it.

We use to have a joint account, but also split them up when she was getting a little too comfortable with her spending. It was an argument at first, but she’s accepted it. She wants for nothing, has every need met, so she can’t complain. Every once in a while she’ll comment on how much I spend in comparison to her, to which I reply, yeah, I make a lot too, and save a lot. End of discussion.

plumbcrazy

Established Member
My wife just told me, TOLD ME, to buy a new motorcycle. Because she knows I want to take a trip with my long time friends. We share an account, it's never been about that, goodness. Point is she supports me, and as best I can I her. She keeps me stead fast as best she can, with all my faults, I'm not sure how.

That is all.
I love this thread.
I don’t think my wife is quite as supportive as you are describing yours to be but I bought my 03 Cobra 3 years ago without even having a conversation about it and even though she shook her head when I got home with it now she wants to go for rides on the weekend in it. I bought a couple of properties without even having a conversation about it and she let me slide on the one that I lost 10% on but only because the one I still own has gained
600% in value over 8 years.
I’m dumping $100,000 into the house we live in this year and the only caveat was that because I want to keep my Cobra instead of selling it but also want an 11-14 GT 500 convertible to add to it she suggested maybe I wait until the house projects are done so I can agree to that. We are lucky.
The flipside is she can do what she wants to do as well. Go on vacations with her girlfriends, ,quit her very nice job with an international company because of the high school type office politics, and I put her in a new Lexus every three to four years. I’m grateful to have the ability to do all these things, and I’m sure like most of the rest of everybody here I certainly do bust my ass for it.Yes, having a woman who is not riding your ass every minute of every day for every decision being made is a beautiful thing. Cheers.

NIXDSG

Established Member
Today we (she helped) loaded firewood into the truck after we bought a cycle for my next trip with my friends. When we bought the bike and she saw the amount she said " that's it?" I was embarrassed but I stead fast and said " but that is all I need".

I'll save the rest for other foolishness, but what will that be????

Luck man I am. Yes.

C2tuck

Established Member
Today we (she helped) loaded firewood into the truck after we bought a cycle for my next trip with my friends. When we bought the bike and she saw the amount she said " that's it?" I was embarrassed but I stead fast and said " but that is all I need".

I'll save the rest for other foolishness, but what will that be????

Luck man I am. Yes.

Rule #7,

Pics of bike and wife…

Users who are viewing this thread