Wow My 1st Sport Bike Race

wuplash

Established Member
i got my cobra out to do some driving around sat afternoon and was on newburgh rd going east coming up to the first traffic light just before the I-164 overpass,i was in 3rd gear doing 35 mph and was not paying attention to my rearview mirror.i then heard a sport bike rev and i look back and see it right behind me,he then changes from the left lane were are traveling in over to the right one.i did not think to much about it,but under the overpass he revs it again while being like 2 car lengths in front of me.i thought ok so i give my red beast a good rev,we come up to the 2nd light just past I-164 and have to stop.i have like 3 cars in front of me and he has 1,the light changes to green and i take off normally and end up passing him as he is going slow in what sounds like his 2nd or 3rd gear.well 2 cars in front of me end up turning at epworth rd he has nobody in front of him,i still have 1 car about 1/8 mile in front of me and it turns into the bj flower place.ok here we go,i'am going 40 mph in 3rd gear so i drop down to 2nd gear he has his front tire by my passenger door handle,i get the first hit then he nails his bike i'am ahead by 3/4 car lengths i wind out 2nd to 6,000 rpm's grab 3rd real quick,he moves up to my passenger mirror but that is all i'am holding my ground,then he has to shift and moves back to my rear tire.i'am now approaching 5,200 rpm's in 3rd gear when his top end power starts to shine and he goes by me putting 2 cars on me when i shut down at 6,200 rpm's.i come back up next to him and give the thumbs up and he says THAT THING IS FAST we get stopped at the light by the gravel place and i asked him what kind of bike that is,he told me gsx 750.the bike is silver with a big rear tire and no engine cowling stuff.DAMN I JUST RAN A 750 SPORT BIKE AND ACTUALLY HUNG WITH IT.oh yea he also told me that he has raced a few porches and none of them could hang.i figured that i could give a 600 sport bike a good run,but did not think i could give a 750 all it could handle.my cobra was squirrily as hell running him as well,my cobra walk to the left on the 2nd gear hit and the 3rd gear hit.when i got to 6,200 rpm's in 3rd and shifted into 4th real quick then let out of it my cobras rearend danced like a mofo back and forth.i don't know what my boost gauge was showing but my seat meter says i was making some insane power in this cool ass air we have now

2002_500HP

Banned
if it was a GSX it was a Katana which are sport touring bikes, they are good for what there made for but it is no GSXR-750 by any means. I had a Kan O Tuna 750 and went to a Gixxer 750 and their in differnt ballparks.

wuplash

Established Member
2002_500HP said:
if it was a GSX it was a Katana which are sport touring bikes, they are good for what there made for but it is no GSXR-750 by any means. I had a Kan O Tuna 750 and went to a Gixxer 750 and their in differnt ballparks.

i don't think it was a katana as i just looked and the 98 model runs a 11.52 @116 in the 1/4 mile.i'am trapping 122 mph,so it would not seem logical it was a katana that is reported to trap at 116 mph out pulling my cobra in 3rd gear by 2 car lenghts.i will ask around sometime and find out for sure as the guy lives in my town :) i don't have a 11.5 listed in my sig,but with a good 60ft my cobra has the ability to run that kind of number :beer:

03cobratech

Established Member
Nice run. BTW the only silver 750's being made for the last few years is the katana. The easiest way to tell is by the seat if it had a big ole banana seat (the driver and passenger seat was all one big seat) it was a katana, if the driver seat was seperate from the passenger it was a Gixxer.. I had a 00 Gixxer 750 and it wasnt as fast as the newer 750's but it would instantly jump out a few lengths on an 03/04 pullied cobra if i was in the right gear.. Either way good race!

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
That was not a GSXR 750.

My friends GSXR 600 pulls on my car and I trap higher than you in the 1/4th.

wuplash

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
That was not a GSXR 750.

My friends GSXR 600 pulls on my car and I trap higher than you in the 1/4th.

there is not much difference between the 600 and 750 gsxr trap speed wise.i'am seeing 128 for the 600 gsxr and 131 for the 750 gsxr.
what is your trap speed and is your friends gsxr 600 stock???

03cobratech

Established Member
wuplash said:
there is not much difference between the 600 and 750 gsxr trap speed wise.i'am seeing 128 for the 600 gsxr and 131 for the 750 gsxr.
what is your trap speed and is your friends gsxr 600 stock???

Are you saying you've raced both bikes, or ur seeing those times quoted in the mags? 05 gixxer 600 traps in the high 120's and hte 750 traps around 135-136...

wuplash

Established Member
03cobratech said:
Are you saying you've raced both bikes, or ur seeing those times quoted in the mags? 05 gixxer 600 traps in the high 120's and hte 750 traps around 135-136...

i came across those times at McNews.com,my point was to show it seems more logical that a 750 with that kind of trap speed would be capable of doing what that bike did by coming around me the way it did vs the katana that only traps 116 mph.not saying my cobra is the fastest thing around as i know it's not,but i would be disappointed if i find out it was a katana trapping 116 mph that came around the cobra like that.if so it just gives me a valid reason to mod some more :)

2002_500HP

Banned
i don't know...since i no longer have a bike i don't keep up with the stats on them...but there are mods out there for them that are insane for a sport touring bike my 04 Gixxer tappped around 131 but it was heavily modified and dyno tuned by OuterXtremes i dropped it off and pick up a different bike...but in my opnion bikes and sports cars are not even in the same playing field if you have a good rider on the bike.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
a 750 wont do 135 in the quarter. maybe a liter bike. i have been riding for about 3 years now and i have riden everything from a triumph to an R1, and i have had them all on the track. with a 600 i was able to pull 11.9@118. the liter bikes will do high 10s in the 130s. but for a 750 to trap 130s it has to be heavily modded.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Haulin_05 said:
a 750 wont do 135 in the quarter. maybe a liter bike. i have been riding for about 3 years now and i have riden everything from a triumph to an R1, and i have had them all on the track. with a 600 i was able to pull 11.9@118. the liter bikes will do high 10s in the 130s. but for a 750 to trap 130s it has to be heavily modded.

WTF? Did you do those runs in 1992? A liter bike now runs the 1/4th at 140mph.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
maybe by a professional rider but nobody you would race against. ever notice how times and hp claims are slightly beefed up by the manufacturer? i had an rx-8 that "claimed" 240 hp...but they actually put down about 178. welcome to the reality and the difference between claims and the truth.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Haulin_05 said:
maybe by a professional rider but nobody you would race against. ever notice how times and hp claims are slightly beefed up by the manufacturer? i had an rx-8 that "claimed" 240 hp...but they actually put down about 178. welcome to the reality and the difference between claims and the truth.

dealers rate hp at the flywheel, not the rear wheels. And most all liter bikes are in the mid 140mph range with a half decent rider.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
it takes more than a half a decent rider brother. when i raced my R1 i didnt have full leathers so i didnt get all the way on it. if you break 118 at this track they require full leathers. the second time i ran i didnt care. i rolled off the line cautiously and then nailed it. the front tire was hardly on the ground the whole way down. i ran an 11.1@127. no i admit im no pro but 20mph is a lot to make up for. granted im in hawaii where the air is bad and the track runs about .5 seconds slower than mainland tracks. i will say with a better launch i could probably touch 10.8s here and in the 130s but a 140 trap is gonna take a really good rider if not some mods.

C.K.

Established Member
good run, your car is sweet, nice to know when you can hang with the fast bikes, now the ultimate would be the RX1, i think it is 0-1XX in first gear, correct me if i'm wrong guys

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
you mean R1? if so yeah you are right. i just sold mine, 77mph in 1st at 9000rpms and has 6000 left

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Haulin_05 said:
it takes more than a half a decent rider brother. when i raced my R1 i didnt have full leathers so i didnt get all the way on it. if you break 118 at this track they require full leathers. the second time i ran i didnt care. i rolled off the line cautiously and then nailed it. the front tire was hardly on the ground the whole way down. i ran an 11.1@127. no i admit im no pro but 20mph is a lot to make up for. granted im in hawaii where the air is bad and the track runs about .5 seconds slower than mainland tracks. i will say with a better launch i could probably touch 10.8s here and in the 130s but a 140 trap is gonna take a really good rider if not some mods.

On the Gixxer board all the K5 1000 threads that have to do with 1/4th mile runs are all in the 140mph range.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Haulin_05 said:

05' R6 has been ran into the 9.9x's factory stock. It was by a professional rider, don't remember who or the trap speed but your time of 11.9 is not impressive at all.

Users who are viewing this thread