wrong oil filter adapter on 98 GT?

svt_cobra01

Established Member
my mustang had a small oil leak comming from around the oil adapter. this morning when i started it, and backed out the driveway i comletly left a oil trail and ruined my driveway. its literally a puddle of oil when i start it up. i go to autozone to buy a oil filter adapter gasket it has 2 holes top left, one top right and one bottom left. ive seen a few vids on the install and looks like a piece of cake. for some reason on my 98GT the adapter looks larger than a regular 2v one. also there is no top right bolt. im like wtf did someone switch a cobra adapter? it appears to have only 3 bolts i took a flashlight and no top right bolt anywhere also the bolts are in a impossible spot to get to without removing accesories. please any mustang pro help me understand if the cobra and gt adapters are interchangable and if i really have a cobra unit.

svt_cobra01

Established Member
ya either that or the adapter gasket. what im wondering is why does my GT have a oil cooler and that should only be on the cobra's. the oilcooler is not easy to remove compared to the 2v unit. i ended up stripping the hex bolt that the oil filter screws onto now im out of luck and have to go to a junk yard and prey they have the correct oil adapter that goes on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread