WTB: Rotor cooling duct plates

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Looking for the adaptor to the rotor for the cooling kit. Just like the ones sold by blowfish or FRPP or any of those vendors, just at a reasonable price considering they are made of $8 worth of metal and $2 worth of black paint. PM is best so I get a notification

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Nevermind, I made my own

And for those also looking to do this, literally making your own costs next to nothing. $7 worth of 18ga metal at lowes, two small old pieces of exhaust pipe I had from an old Flowmaster kit and a couple minutes of my time. Paying $100 for these is absurd. I did the whole kit with stuff I had lying around for about $60, with the exception of the front fog light covers I bought used on ebay for $40. Less than $100 to make a $370 kit.

Last edited:

Lemonth

Established Member
Where did you buy the hose from, if you don't mind. The lowest I found them was about $76.99. It's the orange one that is 3" Silicone Ducting- 11' Section.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Aren't you the guy who bought the shift boot a few months back? I think I recall your name. Anyway, I'm in the automotive industry and own a professional carwash. We use HD hosing for the vacuum systems. We replace it every couple years and I had some leftover (about 8 feet worth) so I used that. You could probably get a local carwash that was changing hoses to give you some old hose for free as it is typically thrown away. The stuff is tuff as nails. I also don't track my car so excessive heat buildup isn't a concern for me. But when I was looking at hoses this is what I found

275 degree
https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-ALL4...d=1470407526&sr=8-1&keywords=brake++duct+hose

Jegs has the 300 and 550 degree starting at about $65. I don't see the need personally for 550 degree hose seeing as only the very end will be absorbing any heat next to the rotor and even then it isn't touching the rotor so I wouldn't expect it to be excessively hot. Of course, I may be wrong and it may be totally different for heavy track use.

byronj

Established Member
Where did you buy the hose from, if you don't mind. The lowest I found them was about $76.99. It's the orange one that is 3" Silicone Ducting- 11' Section.

I found the ducting on Amazon for about 30 bucks. You can also get it at a HVAC company in black.

Lemonth

Established Member
Idk how I missed this thread lol, yeah that was me. The shifter boot came out great, had to modify it a bit to fit my shift knob. Hows the hose holding up? Run into any issues with it? I've still been looking around to do ducts for my car, I'm contemplating going with the blowfish plates for around 85.49 (which is pretty damn high), Thermoid High Temperature Silicone Ducting (the orange one), and OEM fog light for the air inlet. The ducts are $76.99, but I'd rather go with the high temperature just to make sure I won't have any issues whatsoever. I'll check out my local carwashes and see if they have any extra hose I can grab, you can't beat free lol.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Mine has been on and in use for a couple months now, and the only issue I have had is that the passenger side duct keeps wanting to come off the foglight bezel in the front. The hose itself has held up perfect with no deformation or heat issues.
And you can make those adapters for the rotor hat for less than 20 bucks with a welder and some sheet metal. I just hate the idea of giving away money for stuff I can make. But also again, I don't do track use so that may be a factor for others

noldevin

Established Member
Aren't you the guy who bought the shift boot a few months back? I think I recall your name. Anyway, I'm in the automotive industry and own a professional carwash. We use HD hosing for the vacuum systems. We replace it every couple years and I had some leftover (about 8 feet worth) so I used that. You could probably get a local carwash that was changing hoses to give you some old hose for free as it is typically thrown away. The stuff is tuff as nails. I also don't track my car so excessive heat buildup isn't a concern for me. But when I was looking at hoses this is what I found

275 degree
https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-ALL4...d=1470407526&sr=8-1&keywords=brake++duct+hose

Jegs has the 300 and 550 degree starting at about $65. I don't see the need personally for 550 degree hose seeing as only the very end will be absorbing any heat next to the rotor and even then it isn't touching the rotor so I wouldn't expect it to be excessively hot. Of course, I may be wrong and it may be totally different for heavy track use.

If you don't track the car or have excessive heat, why do you need cooling ducts? lol
Nice job building them from such a small budget though.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
There was a period of time I thought I was getting an overheated pad condition. While I was installing the cooling ducts I found that one of the pins that secured the pads in the Brembo caliper had backed out of the hole and allowed the pad to move slightly, which is what was causing the problem. But it looks nifty anyway and I'm about out of bolt ons to do at this point so it was a fun project. Plus I wanted to see if I could do it on the cheap to try and help others who might want to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread