• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

WTB - Shelby/Kicker audio upgrade

Discussion in 'Interior/Exterior Parts' started by Robert M, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Robert M

Robert M 800 HORSE FUN!! Established Member

I am looking for the Kicker audio upgrade for the 2005-2014 Mustang/Shelby Coupe and I believe the amp. is 2007-2009 specific, I have a 2008.

If you have some of this system, but not the complete upgrade, let me know what you have.

Thanks, Robert

2. lOOKnGO

lOOKnGO Keep'um smiling Established Member

I think you are referring to tha SHAKER system SHAKER 1000 to be exact. A couple on evil bay. I have one and enjoy it.

3. 4rd Toys

4rd Toys Polishing my SVTs.... Established Member

^^^^^^

It's these components from Shelby Automotive:

Sound System

lOOKnGO likes this.
  4. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Did anyone ever get this system to work with the factory Navigation system

5. lOOKnGO

lOOKnGO Keep'um smiling Established Member

Wow! Didn't know nav and SHAKER weren't compatible. Good info.

6. Robert M

I am looking for the Shelby/Kicker upgrade audio beyond the Shaker 1000 which I have in my 2008. It works in conjunction with the original Ford/Shaker head and some of the original wiring.

The complete components for the Shelby/Kicker upgrade are in the link below......and that is about the same price as Shelby originally sold this upgrade for when it was available through SPP. There are a few sites that list these items, and even show pictures as in the link below, but they also say "not available" or "discontinued"..............

05 - 09 Mustang Shelby Kicker Shaker Premium Sound System, Coupes Only

............and as shown in the Shelby Perf. Parts link (previous post/link), the amps are different depending upon the year of the car.

I do not have NAV, back in 2008 it was NAV w/Shaker 500 OR Shaker 1000 and I chose the S1000. I figured the media to load new maps would be obsolete (like an 8-Track player) at some point in the future and the cell phone or a Garmin will continue on as a NAV device for a loooong time into the future. <<<Let them deal with new/updated maps........

R

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Norton and lOOKnGO like this.
  7. 850SNCobra

850SNCobra Active Member Established Member

I had no idea they made shelby specific subs for the front doors, exactly what I was looking for! Glad you made this thread. Even if I don't get those specific subs I should be able to use the specs to find some other aftermarket subs that'll fit in the stock location.

Thanks!

8. kazman

kazman King of Kazmania Established Member

Robert,
    The speakers themselves are available from various vendors on ebay. I've seen the amp and woofer on there occasionally also.

9. North500

North500 New Member Established Member

I have a 2009 convertible with factory NAV and all the parts of the kicker upgrade EXCEPT the trunk sub and trunk sub amp. The NAV uses the same wiring as the Shaker 500.

These parts were basically plug and play:
    • 2 Pair (4 total) of 6"x8" long throw speakers (KA-6X8-SPEAKER) - simple replacement
    • Pair of 8" woofer door speakers (KA-8-WOOFER) - simple replacement and deletion of 2 wires. The factory subs are 2 ohm dual coil and the replacement Shelby Kickers are 4 ohm single coil, if I recall correctly. They are considerably better sounding and the grills look great (Shelby label).
    • 4.1 Channel Amp (KA-4.1-AMP) -Nicely designed addition wiring all plugs in, bracket and amp bolt up nice and one wire to run through the firewall for power at the battery. Looks factory and vastly improves door and rear speaker sound.

This part (10" trunk mounted subwoofer (KA-10-WOOFER)) would not work due to the size of the convertible trunk but I see no reason why it could not be made to work with a Coupe NAV or Shaker 500/1000 system as it will fit and has its own 200 watt amp built in so it only needs a signal from the head unit. The wiring may not be in place from the head unit to the trunk area as it would be for a shaker 1000 equipped car, but I believe the Shelby upgrade has the harness included.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    me32 likes this.
  10. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Got any pics of the install?

11. 4rd Toys

I know this is last minute-

But I ended up ordering the amp with the Cyber-Monday 20% off promo\

$99.99 [100] off, that's the best I've seen so far.

APPAREL & MERCHANDISE

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  12. Robert M

Thanks, that is a god deal. I bought one for $449 a few weeks ago with free shipping, so it may be close to that same SPP price. I really got lucky when I found the trunk sub (also with the 2005-2009 amp.) for $349.95 on eBay, both trunk sub and amp wiring harnesses were included. <<They were used so that is why I picked up a spare new amp. The trunk sub is the hard item to find, I see it listed on some of the Mustang websites for $650, but then when you try to buy it, it says "out of stock".

Just in case the used Kicker sub-woofer that I bought is bad in that used trunk sub housing, I also picked up a Jeep 10" sub housing that uses the exact same 10" Kicker speaker. That 10" woofer with "Kicker" on the center is also obsolete, so ordering a correct replacement sub is next to impossible for the correct original look. The newer Kicker speakers just have a "K" logo on the center.

R

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  13. hRnYg0aTw33d

hRnYg0aTw33d Member Established Member

where does that kicker amp mount in the car? Ive upgraded my head unit to a Kenwood double din, and the factory shaker 1000 is overpowering the on-board amp for the Kenwood. which causes the volume to turn down on its own. its annoying. Ive read that it has to do with the amp overheating. I would think this would be a nice upgrade. Im happy with the bass from the factory 1000 system.

14. Robert M

The Kicker amp. comes bolted to a bracket, the bracket attaches to the bolt area under the glove box door and also to a stud used to attach the heater-a/c box to the firewall. The amp mounts under the glove box above the passenger side feet/leg area, out of site behind the dash.

The wire harness that is provided with the Kicker amp. makes it an in-line plug and play to the factory audio system.

R

15. 4rd Toys

The Shelby/Kicker amp is designed to be an "upgrade" to the Ford OEM Shaker system while retaining the factory head unit. The one I ordered is supposed to power the rear deck & door speakers.

It's a plug & play wire harness connects directly to the OEM/Shaker wiring system.

Since you swapped out the HU, you are going to need a separate/aftermarket subwoofer Amp PLUS-

1- Remove the entire Shaker 1000 trunk assembly; build a new enclosure/aftermarket-sub/aftermarket sub amp
    OR
    2- Remove the factory amp & factory sub RE-USE the factory enclosure; run an aftermarket sub amp & install an aftermarket shallow-mount sub in the OEM Shaker enclosure that can use the sub amp performance ratings

16. hRnYg0aTw33d

hRnYg0aTw33d Member Established Member

wait....WHAT.

youre saying that because i swapped out my factory head unit, that my Shaker 1000 system is no longer a functioning system? I mean, it certainly sounds better than it did before or at least the same. Not that it sounded bad, but i wanted bluetooth capability with the newer head unit. but youre telling me that i basically need to scrap the factory amp and subwoofers all together? something doesnt seem right there.

i cant remove the factory amp and upgrade to an aftermarket amp without ditching the sub woofers? o_O