Wtf Am I Doing Wrong

cuban

Established Member
Alright went to the track today and here is my best pass
60'---2.152
660'--8.69 at 88.57
1320'-13.06 :cuss:

i had drag radials on but either i spun or i hopped. i dont know what to do. i am seriously considering saying screw the cobra and get my old camaro back. also at the same track my friend has a h/c t/a that is running the same as me. So is am i really that bad of driver or is it the car running bad? or is it a Shitty track? mods are in my sig.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
Look at my vids of my first runs. I had some real real bad 60's and that is the key. Also you need to let your car cool down alot. Atleast 1 hour between runs is what my tuner told me. Your number look low for your mods. They are almost the same as mine if not more???

All I can say is practice practice practice.

VPF

Last edited:

kngkahious

Established Member
sounds like a shity track.your car 13.0 and a h/c ta runnin slow to.just watch some of the other cars then ask around and see if other people are havin the same problem.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Whipple or KB will only make the problem worse. If you can't run with the power you have now then more isn't gonna help. What is your launch technique. These cars are very tricky to launch and it takes practice. You should on a decent track be able to at least get into the 1.8 60' range on drag radials. If there is no track prep then that's a different story. Do a good 2nd gear burnout. Pull to the line and bring rpms to around 4 to 4500. Release the clutch very quick, but in a smooth motion, not a full dump. As the car starts moving apply the throttle to as much as the track can hold. Drive it like you stole it from here on out.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Improve your 60' to a 1.8 - 1.9 or lower and you need to have that 1/8th mile in the high 7's and you should be going 11.9's.

I ran a 2.81 upper, K&N air filter, Borla Stingers, and a BF IRS diff. cover brace and went 12.0's & 12.1's all night over a year ago.

cuban

Established Member
i tried launching from 2500,3000,3500 all of which would spin and get almost sideways or would wheel hop like a sob. my best luck was hold it around 12-1500 and not ride the clutch but not pop it either and i would spin a little and gradually get into it. idk it was crappy track prep all around.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
ya, as everyone else is saying its in the launch and 60'. practice never hurts! keep going and messing around with different techniques. you'll find it.

Karibian

Established Member
Are you heating up you tires before you run. Drive around the water box and back into it slightly. Then do a burner with your foot on the brake for at least a few seconds. Then a couple dry skip burners (short quick clutch drops with the rpms up) to see how well the tires will grab as you get to the line.

With heat in drag redials they should not spin.

Get your tires to stick and your 60" time will drop. Careful not the break the IRS when the car hooks.

mustang john

Established Member
The secret is also between the gears. My buddy has a 99 Cobra with a solid axle and Welds, he has been knocking on 12.99 for awhile but just couldnt get it, always 13.01, 13.02, 13.09 all at about 105 mph. He asked me to make a pass and i pulled a 12.75 @ 107 out of it and didnt even match his best sixty foot time(i was .05 off his best). I didnt powershift i just speedshifted and pulled .3 and 2 mph out of his car. He still has yet to match the time i pulled out of his car and it really pisses him off lol! So to get a good 1/4 time you have to get a decent sixty but you also have to be able to get it in gear quickly also.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I pulled a 1.91 60' with bald kuhmo street tires! Try slipping the clutch at 3,500rpm's or even more to get your 60' down. Then if you start to spin slip it a little slower the next time. Also like vegaspackerfan said let your car cool way down. I wait until the engine is completely cool with two bags of ice on the blower before I run again. See my sig. for my runs.

F8L_50

Banned
Did you make sure that you rolled out of your burn out and heated up your tires good. A tiny bit of water will send you crazy. It happend to me my first time i didnt roll out of the water during the burn out and when i launched i spun through second with slicks. Other then that try going to a full slick radials suck.

cuban

Established Member
YEP I heated my tires real good rolled out and i still spun. temp was almost 80. my mphs were 113-114

SVT Monster

Established Member
Next time try this, burnout as usual, when the lights fall launch in 1st as soon as the power builds enough to loose traction(really quick), grab 2nd. The car might bogg a little but your times will fall.

Users who are viewing this thread