X or H ???

Hillbilly Cobra

Established Member
I have a 98 Cobra with factory headers, UPR X-pipe, and Flowmaster Super 40's. My question is would a Pro Chamber H-pipe sound any different than my X ??? I would like a little better sound without changing my headers. Any comments would really help !!! Thanks.

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
Hillbilly Cobra said:
I have a 98 Cobra with factory headers, UPR X-pipe, and Flowmaster Super 40's. My question is would a Pro Chamber H-pipe sound any different than my X ??? I would like a little better sound without changing my headers. Any comments would really help !!! Thanks.

Yes it would sound diffrent with the H pipe on....But The H Pipe is not my cup of Tea i pefer the Sound of the X pipe... Nice Xpipe with a Magna Flow Cat Back Sound Killer :beer:

00PONY

Native Texan
Established Member
Want03Cobra said:
does anyone know if the original 40 seires flowmasters are more louder than the new super 40 muffler?

they are the same. its just an attempt for flowmaster to make more money. they raised the price on the new ones and made them a diff color. gay. :nono:

00PONY

Native Texan
Established Member
Hillbilly Cobra said:

just trust me and get the H. it will haev that nice hollow sound coupled with your flows. x amd flows= :nono: (sounds like pennies in a coffie can, unless it is a dr gas)

2002bolt

Established Member
i am sorry but you guys can argue this till the end of time, but its all going to come down to the users preference. If you are going for a deep sound typical of the old 5.0s then go with a decatted H pipe. But if you want a higher pitch extoic v-8 sound then go with the x. I got my gf a X pipe paired up with the new stainless flowmaster 40 series and it sounds pretty damn good. But like i said it all comes down to what type of sound you are trying to achieve.

200gt

Established Member
H-pipe = deep and X = raspy...normally the x's net a couple extra hp's but typically not enough to notice

Ponygirlracing

*Liz*
Established Member
I had an x then I changed to an h when I put on my longtubes. I love the h now. It sounds sooo much better. The raspy sound is gone now!!

five0boy4life

Established Member
fastball19 said:
Yes it would sound diffrent with the H pipe on....But The H Pipe is not my cup of Tea i pefer the Sound of the X pipe... Nice Xpipe with a Magna Flow Cat Back Sound Killer :beer:
I drove a Mustang that had the same exhaust. It sounded really awesome and mean..It was nice sounding. But, Also H pipe sounds good with flows and shorty headers...sounds good and mean also. :)

AZROUSH01

Established Member
I have a 01 Roush, with Bassani mid-lengths...and SLP 'X-Pipe'...the sound is unbelievable at the higher rpm's....sounds like a NASCAR stock car winding out...no cats, and the Roush side exhaust with the enhanced mufflers...sweet!!!
I would go with the 'X-Pipe' for sure.

New article in Mustang Enthusiast, March 05' mag....just got it the other day, they test a couple of the more popular brands of 'H Pipes' and one 'X-Pipe'...worth buying.

AZROUSH01

AZROUSH01

Established Member
PONEYGIRL: The 'X-Pipe' is definetly worth 4-5 more hp at the higher rpm's...with the proper tune, more fuel, there is more power with the 'X'.

02mingreyconv

Established Member
AZROUSH01 said:
I have a 01 Roush, with Bassani mid-lengths...and SLP 'X-Pipe'...the sound is unbelievable at the higher rpm's....sounds like a NASCAR stock car winding out...no cats, and the Roush side exhaust with the enhanced mufflers...sweet!!!
I would go with the 'X-Pipe' for sure.

New article in Mustang Enthusiast, March 05' mag....just got it the other day, they test a couple of the more popular brands of 'H Pipes' and one 'X-Pipe'...worth buying.

AZROUSH01

I have the SLP catted X hooked up to a Borla Catback and the sound LOUD. I drive mostly in town and it is cool but it gets annoying when you drive longer runs on the highway....its not my cup of tea (read: I'm not 20 anymore) so I will change the SLP X for something else next summer.

But if you like a loud, throaty sound then the SLP X is a good choice.

AZROUSH01

Established Member
It's all what you like....a daily driver with the SLP 'X' might be a little too loud all the time, I would then go with the 'H' type, as it will be quieter for sure.

Age dosen't matter, its how the car sounds...the Bassiani mid-lengths I put on after the SLP 'X' really smoothed out the sound a bunch, but thats a $1000 fix...

If you don't want to spend the $$$ on mid-lengths, then go with another 'H' pipe to quiet down your 4.6 motor.

Users who are viewing this thread