X-pipe or H-pipe on 03-04 Cobra and why?

Paul Poirier

I have Flowmaster cat back mufflers, would like a little more sound. I see a lot of xpipes recommended and few h-pipes. Curious as to why?

LS WUT

Established Member
X pipe seems to make things more raspy in my personal opinion. However I ditched my flowmasters on my black one recently. It sounded okay with an H pipe.

hotcobra03

Established Member
See terminator facts and questions for new members,

Look above posts in section you just posted.

See read before you post .

20 yr old car now,this subject has been beat to death ,

Imo. X. Because I have 1 ..
And most used 1 ..
But guys with h will say that's better. .

I also went with long tubes .for that extra boom

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Typically chambered mufflers sound best with an H. This gives a "classic" deeper bass muscle car type sound. X is used mostly with the straight through type muffler and gives more rasp as stated above.
Agreed. I have an X with my Stingers. I ran them with a stock H and they sounded ok, but had an odd tone.

My son ran an O/R H on his 99 GT with one chamber Flows. It sounded mean.

PC03GT

Established Member
The best way to figure out what you like is to find a video and play it with some ear buds or in your vehicle where you can turn it up. FYI you're gonna play hell trying to find any kind of o/r midpipe right now, they're pretty much non existent

LS WUT

Established Member
Same here. I’ve got stock manifolds, Bassani O/R X pipe, and Borla Stingers. It’s louder than I expected for sure. Love the sound though.

Also have a Bassani O/R X pipe and Magnaflow catback on my white one.

Giving away my flowmasters to the garbage man. Haha

Paul Poirier

See terminator facts and questions for new members,

Look above posts in section you just posted.

See read before you post .

20 yr old car now,this subject has been beat to death ,

Imo. X. Because I have 1 ..
And most used 1 ..
But guys with h will say that's better. .

I also went with long tubes .for that extra boom
Yeah. Honestly someone could have just messaged me a link or something. I don't have a lot of time to search through a thread with 10's of opinions going in all different directions. I was looking more to see if there was quantifiable information as to which is better and why.

PC03GT

Established Member
Yeah. Honestly someone could have just messaged me a link or something. I don't have a lot of time to search through a thread with 10's of opinions going in all different directions. I was looking more to see if there was quantifiable information as to which is better and why.
There really isn't much of a difference other than the tone of the car. Also it depends on the catback, if you're keeping the flowmasters I'd get an o/r h pipe. I had an o/r x and flowmasters, I didn't really like how it sound so I went to borla stingers. Now I have kooks headers, and x pipe, with the borlas it sounds amazing IMO.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, you really have to decide on which overall sound you like best since the X-pipe has a sound that is different from the H-pipe. I have always referred to the H pipe sound as "classic Mustang" vs. the more raspy sound from an X-pipe. But then, what is "classic Mustang", LOL. Hearing both will push you to one or the other. I had an X-pipe on my '03 Cobra but always preferred the H-pipe. I had planned to switch to an MRT H-pipe, but never ended up doing it.

The bottom line for those looking for suggestions on what exhaust sounds best is that there is NO perfect setup. It's very subjective. Everyone has their own personal preference for exhaust systems. HEARING a setup, if possible, is the BEST way to pick your own. Opinions are just that, opinions.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Watch some videos on YouTube,

Mustangs leaving show,,

You will get alot of different sounds,,

The long tube header gives a unique sound that will stand out ,

You will see more than a dozen cobras leaving ,you can tell

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
My LTs have quieted down my idle for sure. I’m sure it will scream at WOT but so far it’s much more subdued at idle compared to stock mannies

Users who are viewing this thread