X pipe or H pipe ?

Nervouswreck

Established Member
Now that I decided on the mufflers I'm using ( super 44's) , last piece of the exhaust puzzle is my mid pipe . What are some opinions? I read the X pipe made slightly better power because it scavenges better but its raspy as hell , slightly raspy I don't mind but not to much . Now for X pipe , I read/ heard they sound deeper and not so raspy but didn't make the power like the X . I did order a Pro Chamber for the Cobra but the fitment was atrocious so I sent it back . What are some experiences and opinions ?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coosawjack

Established Member
H-Pipe for me but it's all sound preference.....forget any power gains or losses!!:cool:

H-Pipes generally sound deeper with more Old School Burble.....depending on muffler choices!!;)

BTW.....Roush axle-backs were HORRIBLY RASPY with my H-Pipe so choose your mufflers wisely!!:eek:

Nervouswreck

Established Member
H-Pipe for me but it's all sound preference.....forget any power gains or losses!!:cool:

H-Pipes generally sound deeper with more Old School Burble.....depending on muffler choices!!;)

BTW.....Roush axle-backs were HORRIBLY RASPY with my H-Pipe so choose your mufflers wisely!!:eek:

I'm going Flowmaster super 44

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
H pipe for sound.
There is very little difference hp wise, the X may win here.
Ford put an H pipe on both of my GT500's.
Ford put an X pipe on the GT350/350R's.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Prochambers do sound great with Flows; I had the same combo at one time. I do agree that they could fit better. Mine hangs really low and combine that with a lowered car; im scrapping on alot of things like speedbumps slanted driveways, etc.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I've always preferred SMOOTH exhaust notes. Some cars may be loud, but they can sound like old farm tractors if using stock exhaust manifolds, very rough as the exhaust pulses fight each other to escape....

The absolute smoothest tone comes from tuned (equal length) headers and x-pipe. It's almost magical. This setup allows all those exhaust pulses to march out in perfect harmony.

The video above shows basically no difference in power, but (like me) those guys seem to prefer the x-pipe sound.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My favorite combo was the MRT H-pipe and Steeda catback. Just a personal preference as the sound was more pure to my ear. With no raspiness or harshness.

That video above was interesting.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The H pipe in the above video is like no H pipe that comes from Ford, or is available from the aftermarket for these cars.
Maybe if they used a " real " H pipe, the results may have been different.

96gt02

Established Member
yeah that was a huge length crossover h pipe, didnt make any sense to me but i guess it might be something a muffler shop would do custom if the exhaust was that far apart

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I had a Mac PC with my Flowmaster Super 40s, loved the sound but the pro chamber hung too low, after I lowered my car I went with Pypes O/R H-pipe w/Flowmaster Super 44s and I got the clearance I need and the mid pipe is all stainless and appears well made but I don't like the sound during mid range
acceleration so now I'm considering changing to an X-pipe? Looking at the MagnaFlow O/R X-Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread