X-Wing and Tie Fighter computer games from the 90's

slidai

Established Member
For those that played these classic flight simulators back in the day, gog.com has released current hardware compatible version of the game, today for $9.99 each. To my knoeledge, this is the first time since the original versions, that the game has been reissued/updated.

Had a chance to play before work. Oh the memories.

There are also other Lucas Arts games that have been released today. Knights of the old Republic, is among them.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Im planning on grabbing these later tonight when I get home.

About 4-5yrs back I was able to get the remastered TieFighter Collectors CDROM (the one with the upgraded graphics from XWvsTIE), to run on Vista x64. It required the use of some secondary shell program to go through and change a bunch of stuff that let x32 run in a x64 environment, then you also had to get the right win98 compatibility patch too. It was a PITA but it worked with minimal artifacting/glitches. I then got a custom xbox 360 controller driver that let me keymap the controller to various functions.

Wish they would release a version that works with current consoles and includes multiplayer. Id pay easily $25 a piece right to lucasarts if they would do that. It cant take them a team of 3-4 dudes more than 6mo to bang that out, and figure a way to remap everything to work with a controller. The SW:Battlefront games had it down pretty good with a controller when you hopped into aerial craft.

sidewinderl

Established Member
I still have my big box copy of X-Wing. Been meaning to pick up the other three games in the series, but I want the big box originals...

Two Star Wars games that would be perfect for GOG are Pod Racer and Rogue Squadron since they're very incompatible with everything after Win 9x.

slidai

Established Member
Used to love these. Don't have a joystick anymore though

They have the 1993 version of X-Wing and the 1994 version of Tie Fighter. Those don't require joysticks. The 1998 version of X-Wing and Tie Fighter, which were re-release versions with updates do require a joystick. You get both version when you buy the game. So you can use the 1993/4 and use a mouse.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
They have the 1993 version of X-Wing and the 1994 version of Tie Fighter. Those don't require joysticks. The 1998 version of X-Wing and Tie Fighter, which were re-release versions with updates do require a joystick. You get both version when you buy the game. So you can use the 1993/4 and use a mouse.

Just can't imagine playing it without one though

slidai

Established Member
Just can't imagine playing it without one though

I played with a mouse back in the 90's. We had one of those mice that had what looked like a cue ball in the middle. So I'd just spin the ball like I was playing golden tee and the X-Wing would move in that direction till I stopped it. Kinda halfway from a mouse to a joystick. But i didnt know any better. However, I can't imagine playing with a normal mouse. That would be God awful.

Users who are viewing this thread