yay its finnished! My Comp O cobra

speedbunch

Established Member
so I havent had much time to work on the car, but i have decided i want to use the sn-95 steering column.
a few reasons are
tilt
"cobra" air bag
cruise control
no re wire of hazzards, turn signal, ignition, and I can use the pats key system
hope I am not crazy for doing all this
I had a extra 86 steering column to cut down and work with,
IMAG0101.gif

86 columnn vs. the 03 column (my 93 column has a crush section in the column that will crush easy in a collision.
IMAG0102.gif

I cut the 86 column thinking that it would require welding of the steering shaft
IMAG0105.gif

disection of the shaft I found ford has the same center shaft in the 86 as they do in the 03!
pulling apart the 03 column you can see the same style shaft
IMAG0106.gif

the 86 slides right on the 03 and will allow the shaft to retract in the event of a crash!
IMAG0107.gif

this is the basic idea i am going with I still have to shorten it a bit and weld on a flange so the 86 section will bolt up to the 03 upper.
IMAG0110.gif

Last edited:

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
nice car ! you have put so much work into that swap ! i am looking to change my dragged lx look for a cobra kit and paint it to match my 03 you have both cars in one here

speedbunch

Established Member
IMAG0304-2.gif

my new old fms real cobra r wheels i picked up!
IMAG0282-1.gif

IMAG0283-2.gif
cobra r hood all painted and on!
all together on the outside!

IMAG0295-4.gif

IMAG0296-3.gif

I wanted a 03-04 cobra wheel but couldnt find one that i like so i spent some time and double wraped my gt wheel i had around!

IMAG0192-1.gif

my actual miles!
IMAG0307-2.gif

IMAG0308-2.gif

now just a few odds and ends and it is road trip worthy!

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
Looking good, long build process. May have to post a video of it running or on a dyno.

speedbunch

Established Member
Any pics of how you mounted the column?

It all went in kinda easy the lower (fox) tube bolted in like factory and the upper I built some brackets and they bolted to the fox factory location. I don't have any pics but I will get some.

Users who are viewing this thread