Yay or Nay T-Bird Cast Iron Differential Swap?

Stock Motor

Established Member
I'm doing an IRS swap on a fox body and it will be a street strip car. I'm gathering all the parts for the swap individually so I don't even have a diff yet. Should I start with a cast iron T-Bird housing? I've read very little regarding the cast iron housings, seems like most guys are making the aluminum housings work. Only one guy on here broke the ears off his aluminum, then went to cast iron, but the gears in his cast iron start making noise (maybe improperly setup?) and then he went back to an aluminum diff.

Stock Motor

Established Member
Should be just fine. Just rebuild with the 03/04 cobra setup.

Well it's not a price issue, the housings are the same price basically. They're both 8.8" center sections I'm just wondering if anyone has found that their gears stayed quieter for longer with the cast iron housings because they don't flex as much? Nothing I hate more than gear whine.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well it's not a price issue, the housings are the same price basically. They're both 8.8" center sections I'm just wondering if anyone has found that their gears stayed quieter for longer with the cast iron housings because they don't flex as much? Nothing I hate more than gear whine.

Its not gonna matter either way. Whats gonna matter is that there properly setup. If you do Full tilt kit or any other full irs kit you will hear some more NVH, but its gonna to work so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread