Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Stingers sound the best with the stock H

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I've only had it on for a few days, but I'm really hating the sound once you really get on it. It's got a definite "harley zone" where it's just really obnoxious and the semi-exotic tone of the stingers gets lost in a loud cracking, flapping "blattt".
So here's my question - should I swap out the MRT for, say, a magnaflow catted X pipe, or should I go the other route by keeping the MRT and going to something like a magnaflow catback?
Go ahead and vote, but particularly anyone who has either of those two setups, PLEASE chime in and give me your impressions. I like the added bass and increased volume that the MRT gives under partial/gradual throttle, but just hate it when I get on it.

99BOSS

Established Member
I know the sound your talking about but its only for a split second and goes away quickly. I got to hear mine from the outside while I was watching my car get dynoed and I think the sound your referring to is worse on the inside than on the outside. Personally, I like all the other sounds this combo makes to offset that slight, quick blatt sound. I also think a set of Flowmasters with the MRT would sound really good.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
My thoughts exactly:coolman:
99BOSS said:
I know the sound your talking about but its only for a split second and goes away quickly. I got to hear mine from the outside while I was watching my car get dynoed and I think the sound your referring to is worse on the inside than on the outside. Personally, I like all the other sounds this combo makes to offset that slight, quick blatt sound. I also think a set of Flowmasters with the MRT would sound really good.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I just sold my MRT catted H pipe not too long ago! I know the sound you're referring to and it's annoying. The drone was ridiculous as well. I reverted back to my original setup which is the Magnaflow catted x pipe and the Borla Stingers. It is by far the most "tame" and "pure" sound you can get out of the Stingers with an aftermarket midpipe. The MRT H pipe and Bassani X is just too loud for my taste.

Charles236

Established Member
I don't know how Stingers sound with a Magnaflow catted X pipe, but I had a Magnaflow cat-back with a Magnaflow catted X, and the sound was good, but a bit loud for me. I'm currently running an FR500 with the Magnaflow catted X pipe, it is very quiet but not the exact sound I'm looking for. I want to go to a MRT catted H pipe with the FR500 cat-back, I believe that would be pretty close to the sound quality that the engineers intended with the FR500 system.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I just sold my MRT catted H pipe not too long ago! I know the sound you're referring to and it's annoying. The drone was ridiculous as well. I reverted back to my original setup which is the Magnaflow catted x pipe and the Borla Stingers. It is by far the most "tame" and "pure" sound you can get out of the Stingers with an aftermarket midpipe. The MRT H pipe and Bassani X is just too loud for my taste.

Yeah, that "blatt"/flapping noise is just way too brash/obnoxious - more of a "loud exhaust for the sake of a loud exhaust", as opposed to a "clean", deep tone. I've actually found myself being tentative about getting on the gas, rather than wanting to rev it any chance I get. To me, that says it's not the combo I'm looking for. Too bad, because the reviews I'd read, and soundclips I'd heard led me to believe it was.

So there's no crack/blatt with the magnaflow catted X and the stingers? I REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of buying/installing another midpipe only to find I'm getting the same (or an entirely new) problem. I want to maintain the good depth/bass of the stingers, but get it noticeably louder without being obnoxious and Harley-sounding. Does the magnaflow catted X do this? I've heard X pipes can raise the pitch of an exhaust note and sometimes add raspiness - neither of which I particularly want. I'm going to assume you were running stingers with the stock H before adding the magnaflow, and if I'm right, how did the sound change?

Thanks for any info/details you can give me!

Last edited:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
I love my catted X pipe with my stingers...sounds awesome at WOT too

I've heard the stingers really drone with the bassani catted X. Do you find this to be the case? Would it be any "different" with the magnaflow catted X? :shrug:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
The Bassani x pipe is not a "tru" x pipe! The design permits a sort of chambered effect at the crossover. I have no splattering sound with the Magnaflow "catted" x pipe. Hence the reason why I reverted back to it. The sound was "cleaner". The car still has a deep, muscle car sound. I like the sound of the Stingers and Bassani "catted" x pipe as well. Personally, it's just too loud for my taste.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
The Bassani x pipe is not a "tru" x pipe! The design permits a sort of chambered effect at the crossover. I have no splattering sound with the Magnaflow "catted" x pipe. Hence the reason why I reverted back to it. The sound was "cleaner". The car still has a deep, muscle car sound. I like the sound of the Stingers and Bassani "catted" x pipe as well. Personally, it's just too loud for my taste.

Does the magnaflow catted X add any rasp? And is the stinger "burble/pop" on deceleration the same, or amplified? I don't mind it, but don't really want it amplified, though.
How much louder did it make the stingers? I definitely want a volume increase that I can notice (don't want to have to strain and think gee, I THINK it sounds louder than it did), but want to maintain the sort of exotic/clean sound I was getting under acceleration when I was running the Stingers with the stock H.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I have no added rasp from when I even ran the MRT h pipe. I get no popping sound on deceleration. I can't speak on the stock midpipe because I've never ran it with the Stingers.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I have no added rasp from when I even ran the MRT h pipe. I get no popping sound on deceleration. I can't speak on the stock midpipe because I've never ran it with the Stingers.

Cool. I guess the only thing I still need input on is the volume vs. stingers and stock H question. Thanks for the info, man.

Oh, btw, do you have any sound clips (or know where I can find any) for the catted magnaflow X and stingers combo? I found one on mustangexhaust, but it wasn't very good quality.

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
See my reply in your other post........ I was out today and got 3 seperate compliments on the sound of my exhaust.

04MC

Established Member
I am also trying to decide on which to go with my SLP LM2 catback

What do you guys think MRT catted H or magnaflow catted X?

I heard H pipe will sound a lot better with real mufflers? Is this true? and the mufflers I have now are really really small (more like silencers)

Thanks!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I have a magnaflow catted x and a magnaflow atback and the sound is amazing. However I am most likely about to swap the catted x for Kooks LTs and a JDM catted h. Hopefully that won't be too much of a change in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread