Yellow GT350 at Roebling Road Raceway today???

Lemers

Established Member
Well we don't have pictures of the actual fire, but all the burning and damage seems to be in the rear of the car. What cooler lines are in the back of the car? The oil cooler lines on all cars or the differential lines on track package cars?

-------------------------------------------------
2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package, ETA 10 April (Kaiserslautern, Germany), under MSRP

Lemers

Established Member
Something doesnt add up here. Guy mods his gt350, catches it on fire racing it at a track event and gets it replaced by Ford with a new R? Hmmm...

If the mods had nothing to do with the oil leak then yes. Plus Ford doesn't automatically void warranties because of track use on these cars.

-------------------------------------------------
2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package, ETA 10 April (Kaiserslautern, Germany), under MSRP

Joe_Charles

Established Member
Something doesnt add up here. Guy mods his gt350, catches it on fire racing it at a track event and gets it replaced by Ford with a new R? Hmmm...

Here's the deal straight from the horse's mouth.

I was NOT racing, I was on track learning how to drive the car during a HPDE.

Ford determined the failure had nothing to do with the mods. They agreed to buy the car back (2173 miles). As part of the buy back agreement, I asked for a 920A allocation so that I could replace my burnt car with another Shelby. Ford decided the request for the GT350R wasn't unreasonable and granted my request. Basically I'll pay the difference between the 2016 GT350TP and a 2017 GT350R.

I never said a word about this situation publicly until after I had reached an agreement with Ford and deposited their check. Between my local dealer and corporate Ford, I was taken care of 100%. They have been very good to me and for that I am blessed.

As to what happened. Fact: My local dealer found a snap ring and a plug were missing from the oil filter adapter assembly. The oil thermostat circuit is located behind this plug. The oil ignighted on the exhaust. The heat from the oil fire caused the fuel line to rupture between the tank and the fuel filter (under the car behind the drivers seat). I have no idea what would have caused the snap ring and plug to fail. That would be speculation on my part.

For a detailed description of the actual event, check out my FB page. Facebook.com/HiPoJoeCharles

I have been assured this was a one on in a million freak accident.

Last edited:

Randy M

Established Member
It's amazing how a snap ring could cause such a catastophy. Because of some of the mods on your car, Ford could have easily weaseled out of this warranty claim, or use the excuse that it was on the track etc. It shows integrity that they chose to do the right thing. Good on Ford... :thumbsup:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
If the mods had nothing to do with the oil leak then yes. Plus Ford doesn't automatically void warranties because of track use on these cars.

Are you serious? Even the track pack cars or 17+? Meaning these cars have the coolers and car designed specifically for the track...why would they void warranty. If it was non track pack, with no coolers, I could see voiding.

EDIT - Mis read your post, I read it has they DO void warranty for track use. My point still stands.

It's amazing how a snap ring could cause such a catastophy. Because of some of the mods on your car, Ford could have easily weaseled out of this warranty claim, or use the excuse that it was on the track etc. It shows integrity that they chose to do the right thing. Good on Ford... :thumbsup:

I am sure you could easily go to court over that. His mods did not have anything to do with the failure. They have to determine it was the modification that did the damage.

Last edited:

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Are you serious? Even the track pack cars or 17+? Meaning these cars have the coolers and car designed specifically for the track...why would they void warranty. If it was non track pack, with no coolers, I could see voiding.

I am sure you could easily go to court over that. His mods did not have anything to do with the failure. They have to determine it was the modification that did the damage.

when the Evo 8s came to America back in 2003, Mitsubishi would hire people to scan the forums and go to track days to see who was racing their cars for the sole purpose of voiding warranties..

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
when the Evo 8s came to America back in 2003, Mitsubishi would hire people to scan the forums and go to track days to see who was racing their cars for the sole purpose of voiding warranties..

That's the difference between ford who built a purpose-built car. And mitsu.

Users who are viewing this thread