yes another intake question

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
I was on the fence about it myself after trying one on my 02 GT with no gains. I found a mint Steeda CAI (101mm) for $100 so that's what I have on the 13'. Only draw back is it's heavier than stock but an extremely nice piece!

ExTurbo

Established Member
thanks for the input, and reason i didnt get cold air first was all the mixed reviews on it, so i figured i would hold out and do the tune/exhaust first which has been great. i can say after 1 revision on the bama tune its perfect and runs vary strong.. for the money im thinking no2 is the route

I wouldn't probably wouldnt run Nitrogen Dioxide, :poke::thumbsup:

Tyler72

Established Member
I get so tired of seeing this same thread over and over. I put this to the test personally. I added an Airaid Carbon Fiber intake to my car. I made 3 pulls on a mustang dyno to get a baseline. I then swapped the intakes without even unstrapping the car. Did the work right there on the dyno. After finishing up I immediately made 3 more pulls. I picked up a legitimate 12 HP & 9-10 ft lbs of torque throughout the entire RPM range. This was bone stock with no other mods. The venturi tube thing was left installed to be compatible with the stock tune. So say what you want about CAI on the 5.0, but they do work and you will see power gains on the dyno.

BV600

Established Member
You said it on the dyno hood up more than likely and fans on it. Test it at the track with the hood down its not a cai in my opinion it just sucks heat

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I get so tired of seeing this same thread over and over. I put this to the test personally. I added an Airaid Carbon Fiber intake to my car. I made 3 pulls on a mustang dyno to get a baseline. I then swapped the intakes without even unstrapping the car. Did the work right there on the dyno. After finishing up I immediately made 3 more pulls. I picked up a legitimate 12 HP & 9-10 ft lbs of torque throughout the entire RPM range. This was bone stock with no other mods. The venturi tube thing was left installed to be compatible with the stock tune. So say what you want about CAI on the 5.0, but they do work and you will see power gains on the dyno.

hahaha he said dyno. how about prove the difference at the track. I get so tired of these dyno number guys

Voltwings

Established Member
You said it on the dyno hood up more than likely and fans on it. Test it at the track with the hood down its not a cai in my opinion it just sucks heat

Havent looked at many Aftermarket intakes have you? They are placed in a box using the factory snorkel, similar to the factory box, and use weather stripping to seal against the hood. Basically the key difference is you now have an open element filter with a much larger surface area vs a (arguably) more restrictive panel filter. I believe these seal out engine heat quite well but seeing as how i dont have an SCT yet to monitor IAT i cannot back that up. Again, the filter is the main difference between the two intakes and aside from the larger diameter, debatable performance aside, it certainly cant be WORSE than stock.

I also have a '13 with the hood vents so maybe im not quite as worried about engine bay heat as most.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
hahaha he said dyno. how about prove the difference at the track. I get so tired of these dyno number guys

Same dyno, same day is 100% more relevant with far fewer variables. Tracks vary just like dynos, due to weather, prep, launch, driver mod... unless you have your setup dialed in damn near perfectly, id say its harder to justify gains at the track, or more importantly, compare them.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
There is still a difference of air flowing through the engine bag and in the intake than there is pushing said air across it with a fan.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member

727/575..... we see how that went at sac raceway lol. my car was a dyno queen to the fullest extent lol.

OP my last car i got wrapped up in the whole CAI thing. Since then iv see 10 sec passes on stock air box. not many but they are there. honestly with my new car i sold off the JLT and got a K&N filter for the factory box. between the 2 cars my new one feels stronger with the stock air box than my old car with the JLT. I will never argue that the stock intake looks kinda ugly but im gonna deal with it. i talked to my tuner and he said stock or airaid... either way its more about getting air into the engine bay so im sitting here waiting on the CDC grill. best bet is to do what your tuner likes.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
That K&N is actually hurting the car. Proven fact that is here on SVTP.

CAI won't mean much until you go boosted, when the larger intake tune is really handy.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
That K&N is actually hurting the car. Proven fact that is here on SVTP.

CAI won't mean much until you go boosted, when the larger intake tune is really handy.

how do you figure? seems just fine to me. honestly just put it in b/c in the long run its cheaper than replacing stock filters. id like to get a AFE filter. do you have a link with proof of the K&N stuff? not saying your wrong id just like to read the info too. worse case i still got the stock paper filter.

i agree with the boosted comment. if you are blowthru any big ass CAI will help. i was seeing almost 2 more lbs of boost with a cai.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I'm on Tapatalk, so it's honestly easier to tell you to google it. And I don't mean to say that in a douche way. Lol

The AFE filter is a good option.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I'm on Tapatalk, so it's honestly easier to tell you to google it. And I don't mean to say that in a douche way. Lol

The AFE filter is a good option.

wish they would make tapatalk better it pisses me off quite often. il google it since i have no life and am stuck at my desk for the next few hrs. anyways thanks for the heads up.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Same dyno, same day is 100% more relevant with far fewer variables. Tracks vary just like dynos, due to weather, prep, launch, driver mod... unless you have your setup dialed in damn near perfeid say its harder to justify gains at the track, or more importantly, compare them.

Go ask a tuner they will tell you the Sam thing a dyno is a tool. Nothing more nothing less it doesn't prove what it does in real world. I made lower dyno numbers than most but im my5.0 i still ran 12.1 with tune only on a stock air box when most with making more hp and there cai an tune running 12.5s. I have real proof dyno numbers dont mean a thing

mystickb1996

Established Member
So after all this being said can anyone tell me after they did a cai with a boss manifold they felt a decent power difference? That's defiantly a mixed review also.. I agree the stock air box is god awful ugly but seems it's more function then looks

hopony

Established Member

With my airaid no tune trapped identical mph at track da was within 100 ft. Also when I had my car on the dyno each run was +/- 10 hp of each other.

ExTurbo

Established Member

I like the design of the Air Raid Box as it still keeps the intake scoop to draw in cold air. i Have a premium with the Track apps and reading the IAT its always within 1 degree of the readout on the dash. Not sure i felt a difference, but i highly doubt it lost any power. Temps when im at a light might go up but as soon as i start moving again it comes right back down.

Voltwings

Established Member
I like the design of the Air Raid Box as it still keeps the intake scoop to draw in cold air. i Have a premium with the Track apps and reading the IAT its always within 1 degree of the readout on the dash. Not sure i felt a difference, but i highly doubt it lost any power. Temps when im at a light might go up but as soon as i start moving again it comes right back down.

I got my mom an Air raid CAI for her track pack. I agree WOT doesnt feel much different, Granted i dont drive her car enough to know, but throttle response and DD felt much more responsive. However a larger inlet, with a tune, im hard pressed to see it not make more power?

Users who are viewing this thread