Yes or no: my '03 Cobra has bad vibration at > 80 mph

Major vibration or other issue with your '03 Cobra?

• Yep, major vibration at certain speeds

Votes: 293 31.7%
  • No vibration problem

Votes: 362 39.2%
  • Have other major issue

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • No issues at all: car is a gem

Votes: 246 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regis03cobra

Established Member
just got my new rear end and driveshaft replaced last week under warranty, no questions asked, complained about a whining noise which it had along with a vibration (didnt say it happened over 80, which it did). she's all good now. :)

MY DREAM

Established Member
After a call I made to Mark at SVT help line, he gave me the TSB and SSM #'s to give to my no brain dealer, who then said they ordered a new drive shaft for it. We'll see if that fixes it.

James

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I can't count the hop because they all have that...

Voted gem!!! :thumbsup:

She's a little hard on rear tires though..........LOL

How old is this thread anyway???

Jimmy :thumbsup:

TK Doom

Established Member
MY DREAM said:
After a call I made to Mark at SVT help line, he gave me the TSB and SSM #'s to give to my no brain dealer, who then said they ordered a new drive shaft for it. We'll see if that fixes it.

James

Could you post those here??? TIA!

MY DREAM

Established Member
TK Doom said:
Could you post those here??? TIA!

I sure can,
SSM # 17248 This is for the Vibration
TSB # 03-3-6 This is for the car pulling to the left or right.

James

P.S. I am still working on getting this fixed, I am getting the drive shaft replaced next weekend.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Car had a bad vibe I just knew it was the drive shaft. Vibration was at 80 with F1s and Sumitumos, just put a new set of Nitto's on the car and the Vibe is history. 285's on the back 275's on the front. I also conducted a little experiment that I don't advise everyone to try unless your very careful. But I jacked the back of the car up put it on jack stands, then jacked up the rear suspension without the wheels and put her in 5th gear and spun the car up to 80 then 100 mph. Guess what, no vibration showed up. Of course the jack stands probably absorbed some vibration but it was smooth as silk. Neighbors didn't look too happy when I did this, but I took one for the team possibly dropping the car in the driveway while spinning the tranny up to speed.

Note, I had the tires rotated from front to back balanced twice and marked the rim and tire for slippage and I always had the vibe with the F1's and Sumi tires. Discount tire did a balance match with my rim and tire maybe this solved the problem since their is less weight hanging on one side of the rim.

Last edited:

1/2 bent

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Car had a bad vibe I just knew it was the drive shaft. Vibration was at 80 with F1s and Sumitumos, just put a new set of Nitto's on the car and the Vibe is history. 285's on the back 275's on the front. I also conducted a little experiment that I don't advise everyone to try unless your very careful. But I jacked the back of the car up put it on jack stands, then jacked up the rear suspension without the wheels and put her in 5th gear and spun the car up to 80 then 100 mph. Guess what, no vibration showed up. Of course the jack stands probably absorbed some vibration but it was smooth as silk. Neighbors didn't look too happy when I did this, but I took one for the team possibly dropping the car in the driveway while spinning the tranny up to speed.

Note, I had the tires rotated from front to back balanced twice and marked the rim and tire for slippage and I always had the vibe with the F1's and Sumi tires. Discount tire did a balance match with my rim and tire maybe this solved the problem since their is less weight hanging on one side of the rim.

Lol. Holy shit you got some big ones.

TK Doom

Established Member
MY DREAM said:
I sure can,
SSM # 17248 This is for the Vibration
TSB # 03-3-6 This is for the car pulling to the left or right.

James

P.S. I am still working on getting this fixed, I am getting the drive shaft replaced next weekend.

So if someone walks into the dealer and says do SSM # 17248 they will do it?

They already replaced my driveshaft (which fixed the 65 vibe) but the 85 vibe still exists. The 17248 tells them to replace more goodies?

MY DREAM

Established Member
TK Doom said:
So if someone walks into the dealer and says do SSM # 17248 they will do it?

They already replaced my driveshaft (which fixed the 65 vibe) but the 85 vibe still exists. The 17248 tells them to replace more goodies?

I wouldnt "tell" them but I would make them aware of it so they can look into it. The 17248 tells them to ballance the tires, if that does not solve the problem, replace the drive shaft, if that does not work, then replace the pumpkin. My dealer didnt know about it until I called Mark at SVT then I relayed what he told me to the dealer, gave them the number and they looked into it.

James

TK Doom

Established Member
MY DREAM said:
I wouldnt "tell" them but I would make them aware of it so they can look into it. The 17248 tells them to ballance the tires, if that does not solve the problem, replace the drive shaft, if that does not work, then replace the pumpkin. My dealer didnt know about it until I called Mark at SVT then I relayed what he told me to the dealer, gave them the number and they looked into it.

James

Still good to know, as they have done everything except replace the "pumpkin".

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
Yates...Man said:

YIKES!!! :uh oh:

I noticed my vibe went away when I put a new set of wheels and tires on my snake. Hell, I even forgot I had a vibe at one point since my new wheels have been on for so long. :p

SeeDee

Established Member
lots of problems with my baby, but no vibration what so ever. Had her up to 145 and no vibration. 03 convert by the way.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Alright every one, I have some info that might be usefull. I have had my drive shaft replaced and my tires balanced with no luck of the vibe going away. The other day, I dont know why but at 85mph I pushed in the clutch and the vibe went away. So I tried it at all different speeds that the vibe occures at, and every time I pushed in the clutch it went away. That right thier would tell me that from the drive shaft back to the rear wheels everything is good cause with the clutch pushed in, from the drive shaft back everything is still turning the same speed as before. Now when you do this the clutch will slow down and the engine RPM will also slow down. Does anyone think that this could be a clutch prob? I just wanted to get the word out so that anyone with the prob could try pushing in thier clutch while the vibe is pressent to see if it go's away. This could help narrow the prob down for some folks. I will be taking Cobra in this weekend to see what they can find out.

James

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
And my dealer thinks I'm crazy because I've taken my '03 in three times since I bought her last June with front end vibration. No way it could be three out-of-round tires. It'll be back after I get the Bassani header gasket leak fixed and they've promised to 'look into it further'. I'll bring up the SSM# and conditions. Thanks for all the info.

MY DREAM

Established Member
I'm starting to think its a lost cause. I am hearing alot about the IRS bushings and if we were to put in aluminum bushings the vibe go's away.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
MY DREAM said:
I'm starting to think its a lost cause. I am hearing alot about the IRS bushings and if we were to put in aluminum bushings the vibe go's away.

I'm almost to the point of doing the alum Maximum Motorsports diff bushings but have been holding off since I havent heard of any people running them through the boards :shrug:

MY DREAM

Established Member
Its a lot of work to put those bushings in. I want to make sure they will solve the problem at hand befor I spend a weekend tearing the IRS out of my car, then geting the old bushings out is a whole nother story.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread