Yes - You Need an Oil Separator | Your Valves Will Thank You

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes - You Need an Oil Separator | Your Valves Will Thank You

Mustang_Week_2022_137.jpg

For years, you’ve seen us extolling the virtues of running an oil separator your boosted Ford. While most started to really pay attention to their benefits around the time of the supercharged 1999 SVT F-150 Lightning introduction, the addition of direct injection to modern Ford engines has increased the importance to adding one to a your engine to a heretofore unseen level. That’s because the old engines mostly just had issues with soaking the intercooler core with engine oil from the PVC system. However, EcoBoost engines suffer that issue, along with oil baking on the back of the intake valves. An issue known as coking. Plus burning engine oil effectively lowers the octane rating of the fuel you're burning, which can increase the likelihood of detonation. That’s why one of the first mods we made to our Bronco Raptor was to cobble together a homemade oil separator.

Perhaps a little history lesson is in order. Positive Crankcase Ventilation is an emissions strategy designed to alleviate the release of oil vapors and combustion byproduct gases from the bottom end of the engine. This mixture of vapors are piped into the intake tract in order to be burned inside the engine, thus creating a closed system. Great theory, but the issues noted above are the collateral damage of cleaner air.

An oil separator just slips inline in the piping of the PCV system and through a physical process allows the oil vapors to coalesce into a liquid. This liquid, which is mostly made up of previously vaporized oil, is then collected in a container so it’s easily disposed of during routine maintenance. It’s a simple, yet effective, way to keep your engine internals clean and functioning as designed. Running an engine oil with a low NOACK Volatility Rating will also reduce the amount of oil vapor produced by the engine. A dirty intercooler can reduce heat transfer from the air charge, thus hampering performance. Coked intake valves can hurt performance by restricting airflow, while also shortening the life of the engine by prematurely wearing the valve guides and seats. This video goes into more detail on the various issues/benefits:

We’ve been running JLT, now J&L OSC, oil separators for years on a number of vehicles. Their compact design and ease of install make them a no-brainer upgrade. Being very affordable doesn’t hurt their case either. We’re still waiting for J&L OSC to design a specific kit for the BRaptor, we’re currently Ver. 2.0 of our homebrew setup, but we did have a chance to check out their booth at Mustang Week last month. That’s where the above video and below photos were shot. If you have any questions, post them up.

Shop J&L Oil Separators - Amazon.com : Jlt

Mustang_Week_2022_001.jpg
Mustang_Week_2022_002.jpg
Mustang_Week_2022_003.jpg
Mustang_Week_2022_133.jpg
Mustang_Week_2022_134.jpg
Mustang_Week_2022_135.jpg

Mustang_Week_2022_136.jpg

-SID297

Last edited:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Thanks Travis!

FWIW and reference, I had started a couple other threads. So mods add/combine/whatever.

EcoBoost - Valve Coking Prevention:

Intent with this thread is to keep adding pics when I dump the catch can and change oil. As you'd expect with a vehicle that's driven up north year-round, there's a substantial difference in the liquid's volume and make-up accumulated between summer & winter.

JLT Oil Separator Can Dump - 3.5L EcoBoost:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great video Travis. Great info. I just ordered one from J&L OSC for my Genesis G70 3.3T. Very simple 10 minute install, too.

Kia Stinger GT photo, but it's the same on my Genesis.
84f26dacd9465478941f67161a0087cc.jpg

Last edited:

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have one on my Bullitt and 03 Harley truck, both work as designed. The one on my 12 coyote F150 just fills with water so I took it off

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It’s just a ton of condensation. Every engine does it, just seems like this coyote does it more. Doesn’t hurt it
Yeah it doesn't hurt it just like that oil blow-by doesn't hurt it. But it doesn't make it a great idea either. If you were collecting it, it was doing its job.

blksn8k

Established Member
So how critical is this on the newer engines with PFDI which is a combination of port and direct injection? Doesn't having fuel in the intake tract reduce the tendency for coking? I suppose getting the oil out of the intake tract is still helpful from a performance perspective...

Users who are viewing this thread