Yes - You Need an Oil Separator | Your Valves Will Thank You

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Curious if he was getting that much why he would take it off allowing it into the engine
Yeah it doesn't hurt it just like that oil blow-by doesn't hurt it. But it doesn't make it a great idea either. If you were collecting it, it was doing its job.
Eh, I think it’s more just pushing a small amount of condensation through but it’s my daily so it collects fast. Like I said, no issues on the other 2 vehicles. Just the coyote

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So how critical is this on the newer engines with PFDI which is a combination of port and direct injection? Doesn't having fuel in the intake tract reduce the tendency for coking? I suppose getting the oil out of the intake tract is still helpful from a performance perspective...

So that's an interesting point. It comes down to the tuning of the particular vehicle. From the factory, most Fords only use the PFI to clean up emissions. Often it only fires 20% of the time. The result is the DI system still allows the valves to get crudded up, but just a hair less than a DI only engine. Moral of the story, if you want clean valves without an oil separator build your engine to run E-85 through a carb.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Cliffs:
Among other factors, outside air temperature makes a big difference in the accumulation in the Oil Separator's can.

I'm still a little miffed between the accumulation volumes I get in the cans.

Following pics are both from JLT/OSC Oil Separators on my vehicles for comparisons and discussion:

Accumulation after just 116 miles during the winter (December) '19 Explorer Sport 3.5L EB.
Almost all water.
About 0.25 ounce?

1679524796253.jpeg

Same with light on it.

1679524938585.jpeg

Here's why I'm a little miffed. Again from my Explorer, but 2,600 miles.
(January - mid March)
About 0.75 ounce?

1679526351115.jpeg

Accumulation after 2,876 miles (June-October) on '20 Mustang GT 5.0L. This Oil Separator is mounted on the passenger side of the engine.
All oil.
About 0.5 ounce?

1679525301297.jpeg

1679525404998.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm interested in finding out how much I'll accumulate with mine. I'll be installing it Saturday afternoon and then I'll check it after 500 miles.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't say I wanted to collect a lot. :ROFLMAO: I'm hoping that I collect a minimum, as in maybe a teaspoon+- between oil changes.

2014gtcs

Established Member
Do the experts recommend one on a 14 GT, it has only port injection? Do they make one that does both the passenger and driver side? Or do I need to purchase one for each side? I changed the plugs at 20k miles and the plugs were all the same tanish/brown color, no oil that I could see. Vehicle currently has 22k miles.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Do the experts recommend one on a 14 GT, it has only port injection? Do they make one that does both the passenger and driver side? Or do I need to purchase one for each side? I changed the plugs at 20k miles and the plugs were all the same tanish/brown color, no oil that I could see. Vehicle currently has 22k miles.

I run them on everything, they are just more important on DI vehicles. Some only need a sep on one side. Best to ask the manufacturer and current owners for their recommendations on if you only need one or two.

2014gtcs

Established Member
There's only suction on the passenger where it's connected to the pcv valve, no suction at all on the driver's side. So I guess it would only make sense to install one on the passenger side. I pulled it off while running some serious suction, installed it and ran it pretty hard for about 30 minutes and pulled off the hard line from the pcv to the intake and it was dry. I ran a clean towel as far as I could inside and barely anything. I'm gonna pass on a separator, jmo.

2014gtcs

Established Member
I guess you're right, I will eventually install one and tie in the driver's side with a T, with the catch can on the passenger side. No need for two of them.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I guess you're right, I will eventually install one and tie in the driver's side with a T, with the catch can on the passenger side. No need for two of them.
Another bonus is monitoring. Just because your car's rings are good now doesn't mean they will not wear. ;) Peace of Mind

2014gtcs

Established Member
Went with the J&L passenger side separator, had to wiggle it in to get it to sit flush and had to pull the head sensor harness pushpin out so the canister wouldn't rub on it. The canister gets pretty darn hot and after a couple hours of spirited driving nothing, not even any film in the canister. Does anyone make one that's made from composite material? Similar to the stuff my intake is made from, this material hardly gets warm.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I always recommend running a catch can. Boosted or not! I offer a wide range of them for every set up. HMU if you need one or have questions on which one you need for your set up!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Have J&L on my 2021 F150 2.7, wife's 2021 Explorer ST. Have a Mishimoto unit on my Fiesta ST. All three are excellently designed pieces and use OE connections.

Users who are viewing this thread