Yet another "I need.." thread: Floor nailer

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
I know it's probably a long shot, but just wanted to see if anyone had a hardwood floor nailer that I could borrow, or maybe even buy...

I know that if I rent one, I'll be trying to get the job done in the fewest number of days possible, which will probably result in a broken back and a less-than-perfect install. Hopefully someone has one that they can part with for a few weekends, or a used one that I can buy for a lot less than the price of a brand new one.

Just for clarification, I need a floor nailer not a nail gun. Nail guns I have. I'm looking for the type that must be struck with a mallet to drive the nail.

Thanks!

Tim

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
i have one here at work but i think some ones got it right now...

its a air powered one also.
do you have a finish nailer? i know a few guys here have done hardwood floors with a finish nail to get by in a pinch. but when i did my sisters the real nailer worked wonders! and for the cost of renting it and doing it right you would have paid for one.

Last edited:

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
i have one here at work but i think some ones got it right now...

its a air powered one also.
do you have a finish nailer? i know a few guys here have done hardwood floors with a finish nail to get by in a pinch. but when i did my sisters the real nailer worked wonders! and for the cost of renting it and doing it right you would have paid for one.

We've used finish nailers in the past, but I don't suggest it unless you know your way around hardwood real well. It's easy for it to turn out like crap.

We sold our nailer a couple years back, but have done one or two floors since then just renting them from the big HD. I don't remember it being very expensive, and would definitely suggest getting one before attempting it any other way.

I'll call and make sure we don't still have one laying around.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
We've used finish nailers in the past, but I don't suggest it unless you know your way around hardwood real well. It's easy for it to turn out like crap.

We sold our nailer a couple years back, but have done one or two floors since then just renting them from the big HD. I don't remember it being very expensive, and would definitely suggest getting one before attempting it any other way.

I'll call and make sure we don't still have one laying around.

yea the few guys who did it that way are very good with wood.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I sell them here Tim, but they are expensive! It's a Bostich Hardwood Flooring Stapler for $550. It's much cheaper to rent one from United Rental or even Home Depot.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Yeah, there's no way that I'll attempt to use a nail gun. Not that I really know my way around hardwood and nail guns, but I do know enough to realize that I'd spend WAAAAY too much time pulling out bad shots, especially with red oak. Gotta have the "good one".

Appreciate the replies, guys. I am gonna go ahead and rent one if nobody has one available. Fortunately I already have a compressor, so that will surely save me some of the rental costs...

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Yeah, there's no way that I'll attempt to use a nail gun. Not that I really know my way around hardwood and nail guns, but I do know enough to realize that I'd spend WAAAAY too much time pulling out bad shots, especially with red oak. Gotta have the "good one".

Appreciate the replies, guys. I am gonna go ahead and rent one if nobody has one available. Fortunately I already have a compressor, so that will surely save me some of the rental costs...

i just check and both of ours are out right now.

any other power tools you need?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Tim, if you need any help with installs, give me a heads up on when you are working and I can probably stop by to lend a hand if you don't mind the gf probably tagging along. Its always good to get outta the gf's house and away from her dog.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I just did our master bedroom and walk in closet @ 780 sf. My back hurt fro the next 3 days from being bent over so long lol.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
A buddy of mine has one you're welcome to. It'll cost you a case of good beer. And, he's in Germantown. Milestone.

Nice! Thanks a bunch, Matt - Milestone couldn't get much closer to me...and a great price, too! :beer:

Let me know when your buddy is willing to part with it. I'm still a couple of prep days away from actually laying the flooring, so there's no real urgency, but I could be ready to go as soon as this weekend.

And in my world, Samuel Adams would be a "good beer". Does that qualify??

sunburned said:
Tim, if you need any help with installs, give me a heads up on when you are working and I can probably stop by to lend a hand...
Sure thing, Dale. Never hurts to have a strong young back in reserve!!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
just make sure if you rent one the guns in good condition, as our contractor who does a great job (and still use) was installing the floors but it was so dusty from the other construction going on that he never realized/see until half way after he was cleaning that part of the gun (i think a screw) was loose and putting marks and scratched in the wood, so it all had to be sanded down and restained....take your time though and you wont have an issue

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Thanks for the tips, Steve...since I'm such a perfectionist, any advice is good advice on this project. Fortunately it looks like I won't have to rent a nailer - Matt (Red Devil) came through in a big way!

MACA FTW!!

THE_STIG

Established Member
I did a victorian home, 3 stories all hardwood floors. We have a gun around here somewhere if I can find it you could probably borrow it.

EDIT: I see you got one, nm. Good luck with the install, and get a pillow to kneel down on. You will thank me.

Users who are viewing this thread