Yet another reason I will never live somewhere with HOA...

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
You're right it was a generalization. Let me expand on that though. My uncle is not allowed to park his F350 King Ranch SRW at his home in Ohio. No 1-ton trucks allowed. His neighbor has a F250. Same year trucks, look identical except for the colors. The neighbor is not prohibited from parking his truck at home. He is also not allowed to work on his vehicles in his driveway... And to put it simply, if I own my home, nobody is going to tell me what I can and can't do with my property with the exception of where a permit is required.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
I ****ing hate my hoa. I think they are embezzling. Everyone pays dues yet the pool is awful, the nieghborhood sign is in shambles and that is what they are supposed to be fixing....the last 2 years.

About to move back onto the farm.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Screw HOA's. I've heard nothing but horror stories about them.
I don't want anyone telling me what I can or cannot do on my own property.

When I retire, I'm moving to the boonies and will have no neighbors and definitely no HOA's. I'm going to be that grumpy old man who lives in the woods and shoots intruders.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You're right it was a generalization. Let me expand on that though. My uncle is not allowed to park his F350 King Ranch SRW at his home in Ohio. No 1-ton trucks allowed. His neighbor has a F250. Same year trucks, look identical except for the colors. The neighbor is not prohibited from parking his truck at home. He is also not allowed to work on his vehicles in his driveway... And to put it simply, if I own my home, nobody is going to tell me what I can and can't do with my property with the exception of where a permit is required.

Your uncle SIGNED INTO his HOA before he purchased the house. Unless the HOA came in after he bought it, in which case he did not have to become part of it. Its not like the HOA comes in and puts people at gunpoint and makes them become part of the HOA.

My parents have a few rental properties, one is in a HOA neighborhood. The previous owner was not under the HOA jurisdiction, but when we purchased it we had to agree to the HOA terms, but it was known that it was HOA when we looked at it first, and they gave us a pamphlet of all the rules/regs. The neighbor house at that property is also not under the HOA. This one is mostly geared around rental properties and making sure the tenants we have adhere to some pretty basic guidelines (making sure the garbage cans are put back into the side yard and dont sit in front of the house for a week, making sure they dont have 2-3 broken down iroc camaros in the yard, etc, and that we dont paint the house bright mexican green/purple/yellow, etc).

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member

Simply put, when you buy your home you have the option to join the HOA or not. So if you signed the agreement and complain about it, it's your fault. Hypothetically speaking. People who sign into HOA usually read the contract and accept those rules. When it comes time to sell your house you will appreciate the value having one brings.

But it does get irritating to see people always complain about never wanting to live in one and always misinform other people about them. Not all HOA's are bad. The wealthier the neighborhood the worse it's going to be. The one I belonged to and about to belong to again once I move was very relaxed. It was your basic courteous rules. You get approval before you decide to go bat shit crazy outside of your house. While it may be your own home, it WILL effect the resale of your neighbor so how is that fair? Nobody is going to want to live beside a lime green house with pink shutters and huge oil stains all over the driveway with dead trees hanging everywhere.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Never had an issue with mine. And our amenities are baller.

Same here. Our HOA is very relaxed. The few things they do, like maintaining the landscape, putting up Christmas lights at the entry, and taking care of the pool are great.

My HOA is in the country though, on acre + lots. People are pretty relaxed out here.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Your uncle SIGNED INTO his HOA before he purchased the house. Unless the HOA came in after he bought it, in which case he did not have to become part of it. Its not like the HOA comes in and puts people at gunpoint and makes them become part of the HOA.

My parents have a few rental properties, one is in a HOA neighborhood. The previous owner was not under the HOA jurisdiction, but when we purchased it we had to agree to the HOA terms, but it was known that it was HOA when we looked at it first, and they gave us a pamphlet of all the rules/regs. The neighbor house at that property is also not under the HOA. This one is mostly geared around rental properties and making sure the tenants we have adhere to some pretty basic guidelines (making sure the garbage cans are put back into the side yard and dont sit in front of the house for a week, making sure they dont have 2-3 broken down iroc camaros in the yard, etc, and that we dont paint the house bright mexican green/purple/yellow, etc).

This. In most municipalities you can't be forcibly entered in to an HOA agreement if there wasn't one in place to begin with.

But if there is, you get to go over the entire thing and not agreeing with HOA terms is enough ground to rescind on a contract.

HOA's can certainly be a pain and there are certainly situations were members can overstep their bounds. That's human nature when it comes to positions of power. They are designed with values and keeping quality environments however.

I've not really had any issues with mine. They take care of what the need to and help solve disputes if needed. As long as you're obeying the rules, it's like they aren't even there.

Two 5.0s

Established Member
There's no way i'm gonna live in a neighborhood where i pay money to have someone tell me what i can/can't do in my own yard.

Wife and i bought a new home back in July and we looked at several neighborhoods where there was HOA. Some of them wouldn't let you park on the street. I knew they weren't for me cause i have a pick-up with an enclosed trailer for my business and i wasn't parking it in my drive.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
There's no way i'm gonna live in a neighborhood where i pay money to have someone tell me what i can/can't do in my own yard.

Fair enough. There's no way I'm gonna live in a neighborhood where my neighbors paint their house bright green, with dead trees and no landscaping, and broken cars parked in the lawn and driveway, bringing down my property values.

See, it works both ways. ;-) Just need to find a happy medium. Some HOAs are great.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member

Wife and i bought a new home back in July and we looked at several neighborhoods where there was HOA. Some of them wouldn't let you park on the street. I knew they weren't for me cause i have a pick-up with an enclosed trailer for my business and i wasn't parking it in my drive.

You do know the money you pay goes towards fees for say, lighting the neighborhood at night with light posts which is NICE. Maintaining side walks. Hiring plow services to clear the roads (some places are private not state roads...), club houses, lawn care / shrubbery for entrances, etc. Again, someone who actually doesn't really know anything about what they are "so against".

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I can see both sides of the argument - we have a few houses in our neighborhood where the homeowners clearly don't give a **** about their yard or landscaping.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Fair enough. There's no way I'm gonna live in a neighborhood where my neighbors paint their house bright green, with dead trees and no landscaping, and broken cars parked in the lawn and driveway, bringing down my property values.

See, it works both ways. ;-) Just need to find a happy medium. Some HOAs are great.

This is a great example actually. In non HOA controlled places, you may be a model home owner, keep a nice yard and a house that's in good repair. Your garage is used for cars and not storage etc.

Then, the guy next to you runs his own version of a junk yard from his house. That destroys the value of your home. I don't mind paying a little bit to make sure that everybody is doing their best at keeping their house a home.

BladeX10

Established Member

Its like that in the ghetto. Dont see it anywhere else in decent mid/upper class areas.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Its like that in the ghetto. Dont see it anywhere else in decent mid/upper class areas.

Not true at all. My parents are fairly well off. Both in the house they owned previous to their current and in their current house, there has always been at least one house on the block that the people simply didn't care.

Both neighborhoods in question are still considered higher end neighborhoods for our area. Just down the street of their current residence, there is a family of hoarders that never put a yard in at all. They half-assed some seed for sawd in the front yard and put a single tree up. That's it. Their lot is otherwise a pile of dirt and gravel. All of their cars sit outside because their garage is full of other crap. They've also got a large uncovered water tank sitting in the front yard that they use to collect rain water for a sprinkler system they don't have.

All you need is just one house on the block to not give a crap.

If you're house hunting and you find two houses you like. Both in great condition, both in great neighborhoods with good schools and both at the same price. But, one house sits next to a house that is owned by somebody that does care about keeping it well maintained and manicured.

Which house are you going to be more apt to purchase? Probably the house that doesn't have the eye-sore sitting next door. Now put yourself in the shoes of the guy trying to sell his house with the eye-sore next to it.

Which house

Users who are viewing this thread